Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM

225 posts, read 277,824 times

Advertisements

Why do drivers in Metro Atlanta have no idea how to handle a flashing yellow traffic light? Every time I encounter a traffic light that is blinking red on one side, and yellow on the other, the intersection turns into a four-way stop? The only time a traffic light intersection should be a four-way stop is when the traffic signals are completely off, or when all sides are blinking red. If there is side that is blinking yellow, the traffic on that side of the intersection is to slow down and proceed with caution through the intersection without stopping. The blinking red side is then supposed to treat the blinking red as a normal stop sign.

Signs, Signals & Markings | Georgia Drivers Manual | eRegulations.com

Where I grew up in Ohio, everyone seemed to fully understand these rules. Any theories on why so many people around Atlanta do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Why do drivers in Metro Atlanta have no idea how to handle a flashing yellow traffic light? Every time I encounter a traffic light that is blinking red on one side, and yellow on the other, the intersection turns into a four-way stop? The only time a traffic light intersection should be a four-way stop is when the traffic signals are completely off, or when all sides are blinking red. If there is side that is blinking yellow, the traffic on that side of the intersection is to slow down and proceed with caution through the intersection without stopping. The blinking red side is then supposed to treat the blinking red as a normal stop sign.

Signs, Signals & Markings | Georgia Drivers Manual | eRegulations.com

Where I grew up in Ohio, everyone seemed to fully understand these rules. Any theories on why so many people around Atlanta do not?
Traffic reporters repeatedly tell drivers to treat yellow flashing intersections as 4 way stops. I blame Captian Herb Emory.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,274 times
I don't think we test people hard enough on these things.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 AM

225 posts, read 277,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Traffic reporters repeatedly tell drivers to treat yellow flashing intersections as 4 way stops. I blame Captian Herb Emory.
Well, if that is true, it explains a lot.

This creates an unsafe situation because you have half the drivers who know the law, and then other half listening to traffic reporters. Some are stopping, others are driving right through, and you have no idea what each car is going to do. It really defeats the purpose of the traffic signals.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:34 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I've encountered such a situation plenty of times & often at very bust intersections where both of the intersecting roads carry heavy traffic volume.
If the "rulebook" is to be strictly followed as you cited it, the one road wth the flashing caution would always have pre-eminence by that standard and the other busy street traffic load would just sit there..and sit there...
Honestly, I get where your frustration comes from space cadet but I think that what happens here locally is that many drivers are cautious & treat an intersection on its own merits as unique & worth caution.
Unfortunately, there are also plenty of cluelsess/all about me joksters who whiz on through willy nilly. Ouch!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Well, if that is true, it explains a lot.

This creates an unsafe situation because you have half the drivers who know the law, and then other half listening to traffic reporters. Some are stopping, others are driving right through, and you have no idea what each car is going to do. It really defeats the purpose of the traffic signals.
I thought they were just being excessively polite.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I think a lot of people equate yellow lights with caution. You really don't know what other people are going to do when you approach an intersection with flashing lights, so some people are going to slow down or stop to be sure nobody is sailing through.

It might help if there was a public education program that says "if you see a flashing yellow light just keep going."

Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
I don't stop at a blinking yellow light, but I proceed VERY SLOWLY through the intersection.

That's mainly because I don't trust the others to understand that blinking red means stop. And often, they expect me to stop. Whose fault the accident was is meaningless if I'm strapped to a gurney at Grady, so I play it safe.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't stop at a blinking yellow light, but I proceed VERY SLOWLY through the intersection.

That's mainly because I don't trust the others to understand that blinking red means stop. And often, they expect me to stop. Whose fault the accident was is meaningless if I'm strapped to a gurney at Grady, so I play it safe.
Yea the problem with the blinking red lights is when traffic has a blinking red light, there is nothing to tell them is the other way has a blinking yellow or red light. It leaves drivers left to using their own devices to figure out how to proceed unless they catch a glimpse of the other light.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,358 times
These transplants cant drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: