Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:52 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusgametro View Post
if atlanta is expected to grow this fast how long before it pushes southward.
If we had a crystal ball on when the South metro would explode, we'd be rich.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on Aerotropolis since that's probably the most likely driver.

Other than that, there's a point that people who love real burbs will be tired of moving further and further out and will want to pop down to the South metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
So, tend to be in condos, townhomes and what-not in major office districts (such as Cumberland area), historic Savannah, or in the N. GA Mountains, Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, .
Downtown Savannah is going to be out of most people's price range very soon. The city is hot, so "empty nesters" who like its vibe had better get a move on if they wish to live anywhere near Savannah's HD. In five years, it will be impossible to live there without considerable funds, and you'll be forced to get a place in one of Savannah's suburbs or exurbs (which are as ugly as any in Georgia).

Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:

I'd suggest keeping an eye on Aerotropolis since that's probably the most likely driver.

Other than that, there's a point that people who love real burbs will be tired of moving further and further out and will want to pop down to the South metro.
You just never know. And it could boom to the west all the way to Alabama before it goes south. I thought the South of Houston would take off in 1983 when they opened a new freeway. Nothing happened for 15 years. It started slowly and then boomed like crazy starting around 2005 and is one of the fastest growing areas in that metro now.

I do think the north has about reached its limit with commutes being what they are. There's still plenty of infill in Forsyth, Cherokee and North Fulton, but I don't see any counties further north taking off like Forsyth and Cherokee have before we start moving west and south.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,539,971 times
Quote:
Empty nesters either tend to move to more urban or more rural areas, and downsize on home in either case. So, tend to be in condos, townhomes and what-not in major office districts (such as Cumberland area), historic Savannah, or in the N. GA Mountains, Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, beachfront.

My father lives in a condo in Smyrna within walking distance of the new Braves development, for instance.
What you say is true for a certain socioeconomic strata. I think most older people want to remain in their current homes as long as they are able. The older one gets, the more challenging it is to change. Most 60+ers are not lining up for the drama of real estate transactions and moving unless they absolutely have to (financial or health reasons).

Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
keep in mind that this projection was done in 2012, when texas was thriving and atlanta was still in recession. i don't think dallas and houston will be that much larger than atlanta in 2042. hell, they might be smaller, considering both cities get a big boost from oil, which definitely won't be such a big industry in 2042.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I do think the north has about reached its limit with commutes being what they are. There's still plenty of infill in Forsyth, Cherokee and North Fulton, but I don't see any counties further north taking off like Forsyth and Cherokee have before we start moving west and south.
Right now Paulding (specifically Hiram) is taking off, mainly because West Cobb is out of room and NW metro is hot right now, and Hiram has decent schools. By extension, Douglas would be next. But you never know.

There's plenty of room for both Paulding and airport area to be hot at the same time.

Btw, isn't Ben Hill, Atlanta (around Camp Creek Parkway OTP not too far from the airport) already heating up?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 206,325 times
Quote:

i wish the southside where newnan is would explode with growth. There's hardly anymore room on the northside for any developements atlanta has no choice but push southward because there's so much land on the southside too be developed. I would like too see a descent size mall come too newnan plus a waterpark and more jobs it would be nice if newnan could be like a mini dunwoody with a few office developments and condo's.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
I remember a plan proposed by Cherokee County back in the 90s to give the county a master plan to keep large tracts rural. Several major crossroads and some of the existing towns were slated for dense development. Taxes would go to help farmers keep their land in agriculture. It was patterned after some areas in New England to keep the place from becoming wall to wall sprawl.

It didn't pass.

I wish this type of development would pan out. I would rather see exurban cities like LaGrange, Carrollton, Griffin, Cartersville, Cedartown, Covington, Gainesville etc, etc, really fill out and boom with much denser growth and leave areas in between more rural. Each of those cities being 50k to 100k and then actually having some undeveloped space between them would be so much more pleasing.

I lived in greater London for two years. This is more the mindset for developmental patterns in the southeast of England. Wish we had more of that mindset.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I remember a plan proposed by Cherokee County back in the 90s to give the county a master plan to keep large tracts rural. Several major crossroads and some of the existing towns were slated for dense development. Taxes would go to help farmers keep their land in agriculture. It was patterned after some areas in New England to keep the place from becoming wall to wall sprawl.

It didn't pass.

I wish this type of development would pan out. I would rather see exurban cities like LaGrange, Carrollton, Griffin, Cartersville, Cedartown, Covington, Gainesville etc, etc, really fill out and boom with much denser growth and leave areas in between more rural. Each of those cities being 50k to 100k and then actually having some undeveloped space between them would be so much more pleasing.

I lived in greater London for two years. This is more the mindset for developmental patterns in the southeast of England. Wish we had more of that mindset.

Yes, love this.

Commuter rail would aid in this type of development plan greatly.

And--having established, secured, incentivized farms within our metro area would benefit metro farmers' markets. There would more than likely be an increase in farmers' markets and fresh produce that are readily available for metro residents.

Due to the close buying market, the farms would be sustainable and profitable.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:15 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

It didn't pass.

http://documents.atlantaregional.com...opted11x17.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta