Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 AM

15 posts, read 57,034 times

Advertisements

I'm a RN considering a job at the Decatur VA Medical Center on the psych unit. I currently work at the Hampton, VA.

1. I would like to keep my budget between $125-$225k
2. Looking to buy a house 4-5 bedrooms
3. I'd rather have a commute less than 30 mins
4. I have 2 kids in high school and 1 on the way so good high schools and access to daycare is important
5. I'd like to live in a suburb area with lots of amenities; community pool, parks, green space
6. Easy access to public transit is important so I don't have to chauffer teens around
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood include a safe, diverse, middle class neighborhood with a nice community feel close to major shopping stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
5 bedrooms in the low 200's in an area with good k-12 schools, within 30 minutes of the VA, is really going to be a reach. What are you most willing to compromise on: Price, commute, size, or schools?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 AM

120 posts, read 119,099 times
You might find something in Tucker but the house won't be big

Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTaz View Post
I'm a RN considering a job at the Decatur VA Medical Center on the psych unit. I currently work at the Hampton, VA.

1. I would like to keep my budget between $125-$225k
2. Looking to buy a house 4-5 bedrooms
3. I'd rather have a commute less than 30 mins
4. I have 2 kids in high school and 1 on the way so good high schools and access to daycare is important
5. I'd like to live in a suburb area with lots of amenities; community pool, parks, green space
6. Easy access to public transit is important so I don't have to chauffer teens around
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood include a safe, diverse, middle class neighborhood with a nice community feel close to major shopping stores

Based on you criteria, I strongly recommend the Parkview High Cluster in Gwinnett County. Parkview is an excellent and highly-regarded high school, and the feeder schools are superb as well. Your commute will be roughly 30 min.

The Parkview Cluster is in the South Lilburn/East Lilburn/Mountain Park Area of Gwinnett County.

The only thing...you may have to be happy with a 3-4 bedroom house, or pay a little more than you have planned in your budget. Also, public transit in the Parkview area is weak.

GCPS Cluster Boundaries | GCPS

Parkview Cluster | GCPS

Parkview High School | GCPS

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...3-46a4acb8cb44

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...df?MOD=AJPERES

For secondary options to the Parkview High Cluster, I recommend...

1. The Brookwood High Cluster of Gwinnett County: East Lilburn/North Snellville/South Lawrenceville
2. The Tucker High Cluster of DeKalb County: Tucker

I hope this helps some. Feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 57,034 times
I'm willing to compromise on size. 4 bedrooms would be ok. Do houses there typically have basements?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Based on you criteria, I strongly recommend the Parkview High Cluster in Gwinnett County. Parkview is an excellent and highly-regarded high school, and the feeder schools are superb as well. Your commute will be roughly 30 min.

The Parkview Cluster is in the South Lilburn/East Lilburn/Mountain Park Area of Gwinnett County.

The only thing...you may have to be happy with a 3-4 bedroom house, or pay a little more than you have planned in your budget. Also, public transit in the Parkview area is weak.

GCPS Cluster Boundaries | GCPS

Parkview Cluster | GCPS

Parkview High School | GCPS

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...3-46a4acb8cb44

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...df?MOD=AJPERES

For secondary options to the Parkview High Cluster, I recommend...

1. The Brookwood High Cluster of Gwinnett County: East Lilburn/North Snellville/South Lawrenceville
2. The Tucker High Cluster of DeKalb County: Tucker

I hope this helps some. Feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck!
Totally agree with the Parkview reccomendation. Depending on where you live in the cluster, on good days you might be able to get there in about 30 min, or if you drive in non-rush hour traffic-you could probably hit your mark often. Some days it may take over 45min. Getting home takes even longer. You would probably have to more than double your budget to significantly cut down your travel time, and get anything close to what you can get in the Parkview cluster K-12. I would recommend Camp Creek Elementary, and then Arcado Elementary within the cluster.

Edit: just noticed the public transit preference--don't think you will do well with that in the Parkview district. If that is a must have, then maybe Tucker will work, though, I would still think that the Parkview area would be preferable.

Last edited by jeoff; 07-21-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTaz View Post
I'm willing to compromise on size. 4 bedrooms would be ok. Do houses there typically have basements?
In the Parkview area, at the top of your budget, I am guessing it is about 50-50 on basements. You can definately find one, if that is what you want.

Also, on diversity, the schools are very diverse, and kids seem to get along well for the most part. But, some neighborhoods are not diverse at all. Nothing that ominous--but into the 90s the area was pretty white--so there are still a lot of empty nesters that make up most of some subdivisions--as the old folks move out the old neighborhoods become more diverse. Most folks move in for the schools, so I think that helps keep the community together somewhat.

Last edited by jeoff; 07-21-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Mrs. Taz:

I think you will be able to find a lot of options in your price range in the Parkview High district. The homes will just be resales.

A quick sampling:

Homes for Sale in Lilburn GA — Lilburn Real Estate — ZipRealty

Old 07-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Mrs. Taz:

I think you will be able to find a lot of options in your price range in the Parkview High district. The homes will just be resales.

A quick sampling:

Homes for Sale in Lilburn GA — Lilburn Real Estate — ZipRealty

Always make sure the listing says Parkview High!

Lilburn, etc. also includes other high school districts.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
There is no real public transportation in the Parkview area that will meet your teens needs.

Do you currently have all your criteria met where you are? If so, you might consider delaying this move until your high school kids are grown and out. High school isn't always an easy time to transition and states/school districts often have different graduation requirements so the transition isn't always smooth. do your kids want to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta