Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:25 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times

Advertisements

Believe or not I find that most down to earth people are in fitness groups like fitwit. They have free classes every Saturday at D.L Stanton park from 8:30-9:30 am. The group is very diverse, nice people, and easy to meet new friends. You may want to check the Beltline or fitwit site to see if classes are offered near you.

Also every third Friday of each month, try the Latin Dancing at Fernbank Museum. Lots of cool down to earth people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
I'm a 21 year old college student, an upcoming senior at Georgia State University and I find making friends a bit challenging, at least around here. I moved to Atlanta 4 years ago with my family from Jacksonville, Florida and don't remember experiencing anything quite like this. I have a lot of good friends back where I'm from. It could be that I reached my 20s, or that I simply moved to a new place, who knows. But long story short, I have difficulty meeting people I relate to on a deep level. I'm looking for REAL friendships, not a large number of acquaintances I know here and there. Went to numerous churches, worked a few places, played basketball a lot, and have been through college for 3 years..high school here for a year. I feeling like I've been encountering some of same kinds of people, either very superficial, or pretentious, or shady (or seem questionable), or very acquaintance-like, or simply people I cannot relate to.

However, almost all of the people I've met did have the similar sense of friendliness I see often in Atlanta and talk nicely to me (could be southern hospitality) but it feels only skin-deep. Sometimes the friendliness appears extremely fake to me. Never quite had that feeling of "wow, I really feel I made a friend" here...The last time I felt that way was during a Greyhound bus ride out of Atlanta to Philly (to meet an old friend) when I met this very genuine guy from Louisiana.

That's a bit off the topic though. Simply looking for people who keep things real and I can connect with. I might just be looking in the wrong places. Any specific places to go to? I'm trying not to blame this city, which I used to do a lot...but that doesn't really accomplish anything.

And to answer a question I expect to get...YES maybe it IS ME that's the problem.

Correction: I do have a few people I consider as "friends" in college but lost touch with a lot of them since I don't see them anymore, as a lot of them have transferred to a different school or moved to a different city.
I have yet to read the replies to your OP, but I am sure I am going to see the same FOOLS saying the same crap they always say. My best advice to this is be patient and be open. And YES it is an Atlanta thing, so be at ease that its not 100 percent you. Its a cultural thing. Now to read the comments.......

Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Did you even read the entire post? You should have just recommended meetup.com full stop and kept it moving.
Great Post +1

Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
It seems like you are "in town", where people can be quite "status conscious" these days. It's gotten so expensive to live there it's practically like the suburbs of the 80's and 90's. This is particularly true in certain places. This mat be the issue because there are not many "down to earth" middle class people living ITP these days, at least not in the hip areas you are likely hanging out in.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I have yet to read the replies to your OP, but I am sure I am going to see the same FOOLS saying the same crap they always say. My best advice to this is be patient and be open. And YES it is an Atlanta thing, so be at ease that its not 100 percent you. Its a cultural thing. Now to read the comments.......
There have actually been some helpful comments in this thread...how intelligent of you to write everyone off as foolish prior to reading them.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
It seems like you are "in town", where people can be quite "status conscious" these days. It's gotten so expensive to live there it's practically like the suburbs of the 80's and 90's. This is particularly true in certain places. This mat be the issue because there are not many "down to earth" middle class people living ITP these days, at least not in the hip areas you are likely hanging out in.
Very astute observation! I was thinking that tonight in my OTP tai chi class. the class was diverse ethnically and culturally---don't know what people's finances are, but I don't think everyone was filthy rich. And I thought to myself that things have flip flopped---the snobby, stuffy suburbs are thriving with diverse and down-to-earth people, whereas ITP isn't quite so diverse and the hip areas cost a good bit of money to live in.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Very interesting. Sometimes you want meet people and feel comfortable. It seems many want to be somebody instead of just being. I guess being is boring for some. Its a lot of cool people in the ATL metro they just rarely live where you live.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Only one negative-ish post (not counting yours. )--and even that one had a positive suggestion.--not too shabby for CityData!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Only one negative-ish post (not counting yours. )--and even that one had a positive suggestion.--not too shabby for CityData!
Patience....not everyone has replied yet lol. Plus I said nothing about being NEGATIVE.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I guess he/she is mad about something. It's ridiculous for someone to ruin a positive thread while blaming all of the other Atlanta members. Look within...

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 07-27-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta