Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
LOL, well I can't speak for everyone in the DMV area but me being from Baltimore, not everyone around the DC suburbs talk about work during happy hour.
Despite being only 30 or so minutes apart, DC and Baltimore couldn't be more different here. Baltimore is a blue-collar city and DC is a white-collar city, and the differences are pretty stark here. What the OP is describing is certainly much more true of DC than Atlanta, and not just for Black folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,763,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
A wealthy human being who looks down on another person lifestyle because of financial limitations or differences in a condescending manner. Also people who thinks certain venues, products, neighborhoods, clothing, vehicles, or activities are beneath them.

LOL, well I can't speak for everyone in the DMV area but me being from Baltimore, not everyone around the DC suburbs talk about work during happy hour. I would say the metro area is very transient so it really depends on where you at. When you talk to a person from the DMV, most likely they talk about what's happening around there community like they building condos, apartments, houses, department stores, hotels, and businesses here and there, any events going on in the area, sports teams in the city, and gossiping about people they see or know.

I don't know what he watch on television but he said he does go out sometimes to parties or events going on during the day or night around the city and I guess whenever he go out he view some of the people he around having bougie attitudes.
From the outside looking in it will seem that way. I will agree with him generally speaking but he needs to learn about the different crowds here so he can choose which groups he want to be around. The women walking around holding expensive purses, etc. Little does he know that half those purses came from the flea market off Old National or Greenbriar. Walking around with expensive purses but their bank account is in the negative. Yes we have those people just like most other large cities. I would say Atlanta and DC would rank at the top in this category. On the flip side we have plenty of regular people and events for regular people who aren't about that lifestyle. That's the good thing about Atlanta. You can hang with the bougie crowd, the non bougie crowd, 21-25 year old crowd, the 30+ crowd, the neo soul drinking tea with no hair weave listening to Jill Scott crowd, etc. With the Atlanta scene if you are new here you will only know about that and the ratchet scene initially. Unless someone hips you to the other scenes in Atlanta the average person will not know about them until they have been here at least 2 years if they are lucky. If you are fortunate enough to have someone that knows the scene will put you on to it then that will help but generally speaking the average person only sees that side of Atlanta until someone gives them the events to go to to see the other side of the city

I know Bmore generally speaking just have the ghetto crowd and most of the professionals have to go to DC if they don't want to be around the ratchets lol. in DC you only have the professional crowd and the ghetto Go Go crowd so most of the professionals are forced to continue to hang around the same crowd even if they do not want to. Generally speaking.

As far as DC when I was there the DC culture is about work, work and work. Go to happy hour after work and it still feels like you are at work lol. Since DC has the most important jobs in the country it attracts those type of people. People in DC (professional crowd not the Go Go crowd) are too cool to have fun. You go out at 1am and nobody is dancing or having fun. Everyone just standing around with their Easter suit on trying to look important. That's DC for ya. Generally speaking.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,302,328 times
It's his crowd.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,211,799 times
What a narrow view of an entire race in a relatively large city. As usual, people inform themselves with reality TV. Whenever someone from another city asks about this, I just look them in the face until they figure it out and walk away.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,302,328 times
If you only hang around Buckhead and/or go to "Grown and Sexy" events of-course that is all you are going to see.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
Honestly, I kind of agree with the OP friend's assessment. But not because most of the black people one meets in Atlanta are "bougie" but because they like to act like they are.

IMO many of them are putting on a show. Most of the black people who do have money don't go around flaunting it or talking about it or talking down on other people. Those who really don't have anything but want to act like they do. They also always like to try to distant themselves from regular black people or "ghetto" black people. Many of them are in extreme debt due to wanting to impress people. But wanted to mention that I think that this is common amongst a lot of people, no matter their skin color everywhere, but I can see how the OP's friend might get that impression from Atlanta based on my own experience with the supposed black bourgoisie there myself.

Even though I grew up poor my extended family were not and due to my grandma being "rich" (I thought she was rich lol even though she really wasn't) I had a lot of stuff and we mostly lived in houses that she owned and rented to my mom for free. And my grandma always told me that people shouldn't brag about what they have or try to act like they are better than anyone else based on material things even though she was a shop-a-holic. But due to her and my extended families' similar views, I never placed much value on things like what type of car someone drives or what type of shoes/designer clothes they wear, etc. And there was more of that in Atlanta than I would have liked to be around. Also, people always asking me why I lived where I lived when I could afford to move to Midtown or Buckhead, etc. Or why I drove an old vehicle when I could afford to buy a new one. Just more materialism there IMO and want to add for all the defensive Atlanta people that I felt mostly transplants from specific areas exuded this sort of aura and tried to act like just because they were black in Atlanta they had "made it" and had all this material stuff and how being black with stuff in Atlanta made them important in some way. It was pretty funny and silly to me.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
From the outside looking in it will seem that way. I will agree with him generally speaking but he needs to learn about the different crowds here so he can choose which groups he want to be around. The women walking around holding expensive purses, etc. Little does he know that half those purses came from the flea market off Old National or Greenbriar. Walking around with expensive purses but their bank account is in the negative. Yes we have those people just like most other large cities. I would say Atlanta and DC would rank at the top in this category. On the flip side we have plenty of regular people and events for regular people who aren't about that lifestyle. That's the good thing about Atlanta. You can hang with the bougie crowd, the non bougie crowd, 21-25 year old crowd, the 30+ crowd, the neo soul drinking tea with no hair weave listening to Jill Scott crowd, etc. With the Atlanta scene if you are new here you will only know about that and the ratchet scene initially. Unless someone hips you to the other scenes in Atlanta the average person will not know about them until they have been here at least 2 years if they are lucky. If you are fortunate enough to have someone that knows the scene will put you on to it then that will help but generally speaking the average person only sees that side of Atlanta until someone gives them the events to go to to see the other side of the city

I know Bmore generally speaking just have the ghetto crowd and most of the professionals have to go to DC if they don't want to be around the ratchets lol. in DC you only have the professional crowd and the ghetto Go Go crowd so most of the professionals are forced to continue to hang around the same crowd even if they do not want to. Generally speaking.

As far as DC when I was there the DC culture is about work, work and work. Go to happy hour after work and it still feels like you are at work lol. Since DC has the most important jobs in the country it attracts those type of people. People in DC (professional crowd not the Go Go crowd) are too cool to have fun. You go out at 1am and nobody is dancing or having fun. Everyone just standing around with their Easter suit on trying to look important. That's DC for ya. Generally speaking.
I experienced this often in Atlanta as well in regards to the bold.

And I also wanted to agree with other posters in that it is probably the friend is used to more of a blue collar crowd. I am from a blue collar town but contrary to what people think, most blue collar places, including BMore have their well off, professional black people as well. My grandma and practically all of my family are professional persons and middle class, especially in my current generation but they still go out and party with the working class and hang out and have a good time. There isn't as much of an air of "we're too good to party with ____."

Funny but I have a close cousin who went to Howard and worked in DC for about 15 years until recently. She still goes back and parties there with her friends, mostly HU grads as well. She loves Go Go (as do I) and the Go Go scene is one of her favorite things about DC even both she and I are considered the most "bougie" of our generation lol. Mostly because we like certain things and will do things the way we want to do them without diminishing the quality we want. We are also considered kine of "ghetto" in that we both usually live in "the hood" even though we make enough money not to but we are frugal and like to live well within our means. So we are often labeled as "bou-ghetto" which I believe is a term from one of those reality shows but the family thinks it fits us well lol.

When I first moved to Atlanta I went to a lot of the "hood" clubs as well. The more professional crowds didn't really seem to party much, just sat around and drank for the most part and that's not fun to me.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And I also wanted to agree with other posters in that it is probably the friend is used to more of a blue collar crowd. I am from a blue collar town but contrary to what people think, most blue collar places, including BMore have their well off, professional black people as well. My grandma and practically all of my family are professional persons and middle class, especially in my current generation but they still go out and party with the working class and hang out and have a good time. There isn't as much of an air of "we're too good to party with ____."

Funny but I have a close cousin who went to Howard and worked in DC for about 15 years until recently. She still goes back and parties there with her friends, mostly HU grads as well. She loves Go Go (as do I) and the Go Go scene is one of her favorite things about DC even both she and I are considered the most "bougie" of our generation lol. Mostly because we like certain things and will do things the way we want to do them without diminishing the quality we want. We are also considered kine of "ghetto" in that we both usually live in "the hood" even though we make enough money not to but we are frugal and like to live well within our means. So we are often labeled as "bou-ghetto" which I believe is a term from one of those reality shows but the family thinks it fits us well lol.

When I first moved to Atlanta I went to a lot of the "hood" clubs as well. The more professional crowds didn't really seem to party much, just sat around and drank for the most part and that's not fun to me.
You should have tried the gay clubs if you really wanted to have fun...no standing around in Backstreet!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,763,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Way too much to read. Im only reading the last part. Like i always say people who know nothing about Atlanta always comment like yourself. If you never been to MJQ, El Bar, Speadlove, Summer School, Prescription, Sunset Lounge, OSS, Late night ritual, Mother, Sound Table, Boom Bap Saturday, etc to name a few you shouldnt comment because you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you have been to EVERY event in Atlanta you arent qualified to speak on the scene here. Again no matter how long you lived here if you havent been to EVERY event here then your opinion is worthless. That's the problem here. People who think they are qualified to give an opinion on something but aren't qualified. I can guarantee you never been to or heard of the majority of the events that I listed

Last edited by afdinatl; 07-27-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,632,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Despite being only 30 or so minutes apart, DC and Baltimore couldn't be more different here. Baltimore is a blue-collar city and DC is a white-collar city, and the differences are pretty stark here. What the OP is describing is certainly much more true of DC than Atlanta, and not just for Black folks.
I attended college in Baltimore and I learned quickly that DC metro folks want nothing to do with Baltimore folks. They feel that Baltimore folks are beneath them for some reason, so yes this ASSININE post probably could apply to the DC metro as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta