Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,447 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are planning to make a scouting trip to Atlanta to look and homes for sale. Currently we live in Denver and my job will be migrating to ATL later this year. I am black and my wife is white. I will be working at an IT job that is located at Hartsfield Airport. Can someone reccomend a good suburb for a young interacial family. I also have a 7 month old daughter and we plan to have another child. I have no clue about the city but I hear the northern suburbs are better than the southern part of town. I understand the airport is on the south end of town and I would like to make the commute as short as possible. At the same time I do appreciate a good quality of life enviornment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
What's your budget for a house?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
If you prefer the burbs, there are a few to the south such as Peachtree City that are very nice and convenient to the airport. You should also consider some of the Intown neighborhoods as well, as they are convenient to the Airport as well, through both freeway and MARTA rail. If you let us know your budget, it would be easier to point you in the right direction.

I'm in an interracial relationship as well and my girlfriend is from the Denver area. We came very close to relocating out there. However, we chose to stay and currently we live in Inman Park, which is a neighborhood in the city. Another poster on here, backfist, is in an interracial relationship as well and he's from Denver too. Small world, isn't it?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM

Yes, interracial relationships are common in the city and no one blinks an eye. If you can afford a house $400K+ then move into the city. Or rent of $1200+.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,447 times
Our budget for a house is in the low 200's.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
Newnan and coweta county is also a good choice. Get a house while they're still cheap!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM

You're going to have to move kind of far out unless you're willing to buy an older townhouse.

Or, you can do what my husband and I did. Buy a duplex and live in one have and rent out the other. Our house has an upstairs 2 bedroom/1 bath, 1100sqft apartment we rent out for #1100/mo. We live in the bottom apartment, with our 6 year old son. Our apartment is 2 bedrooms + office/1 bath, ~1300sqft.

Here are a few listings I found on craigslist in the good school districts:

THREE LEVEL TOWNHOUSE - GREAT LOCATION!!! 2 br + bonus room /2.5 ba (broken link)

Mayfair Tower 2BR 2BA --act now and choose your upgrades (broken link)

Stylish Intown Loft in Candler Park/Lake Claire (broken link)

Open Saturday 12-4 (broken link)

Fantastic Candler Park Condo - 2 BR, 1 BA (broken link)

Winnona Park Elementary district for under $210K!!!!!! (broken link)

2BR Condo MUST SELL (broken link)

Fantastic Loft Inman Park (broken link)

•►PRICE REDUCED! MIDTOWN Piedmont Park Condo, 2 Bedroom, LOW HOA FEES! (broken link)

Incredible value for nearly new condo (broken link)

Renovated Top Floor 2 Bed Between Emory and Highlands (broken link)

Huge Midtown Condo (2Br/2Ba) with Amazing Downtown Views (broken link)

*CENTER OF ATL*2BR/2BA CONDO*H'WOODS*GRANITE*SS APPS*PATIO*POOL*GARAGE (broken link)

This one looks like it needs a lot of work but it's pretty cheap and in a neighborhood with a charter school: 508 Oakland Ave (broken link)

Or go to this site to search for real estate: Atlanta MLS, No Registration, No Agent Calls, No Email Spam

I'm not familiar with these realtors but they don't make you register in order to search listings so that's why I like it.

Use the zipcode search and look for 30307, 30306, 30308, and 30309. I don't know the Decatur City zips but someone on here could tell you (is it 30032?).

Good luck!

In general, it's just more expensive to live in the city. But, there's more of that diversity everyone is chasing. And there are a lot more mixed relationships. Not just black/white but mixed from all over the world.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Interracial couples are better off in the inner metro because it's less conservative. Based on the age of your daughter, I'd like to ask why aren't you considering midtown or other in-town areas? Midtown is a very nice area and a pretty good commute to the airport and very diverse.

The problem with the South metro suburbs is they aren't very diverse, aside from Fairburn. Most of the rest are either pretty much all white or all black.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM

86 posts, read 415,987 times
So what other in-town areas are there? What are the zipcodes or names other than Midtown? Anyone know any websites to affordable 2-3 bdrm houses to rent with a fenced yard on an RN's salary? I'm relocating from Ohio in June. My family lives in the South metro suburbs and I must admit that the above poster is right. My fathers suburb is all black and my sisters suburb is predominately all white...LOL. Not much diversity in either of them. The sad part is that they cant give me any info about any other neighborhood other than their own and they have been there for years. I personally NEED MORE DIVERSITY like an in-town neighborhood.
SYN RN

Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Grant Park, Bolton Rd near Marietta Rd, Decatur, midtown, midtown West, Buckhead, Brookhaven, and Smyrna are all diverse and aside from Smyrna which is right along the perimeter, all are ITP (inside the perimeter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta