Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Publix or Kroger?
Publix 43 66.15%
Kroger 19 29.23%
Other (Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I find Kroger has a wider variety of items than Publix. Also, many of the stores are open 24 hours so that is really helpful if you need to pick up something late. Overall the prices are lower depending on what you're buying.

Publix seems to have better customer service as another poster stated. I also find their produce to be much fresher than Kroger's. Their meat is definitely more costly, but at this point I cannot figure out what's going on with quality of meat anywhere so I won't weigh in on any place. I just keep my fingers crossed.

You asked about others and I'm a fan of Trader Joe's. Some call it the poor man's version of Whole Foods, but they are not really that similar. I do not like Walmart for food; I'm not even sure I believe it cosrs less than the other stores.
It does not. Wal-Mart is basically the same price these days as Publix, Kroger, Ingles, etc. They are hoping that people don't pay close attention to their prices and go there based purely by habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM

346 posts, read 388,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i miss the stores that used to be common in atlanta in the old days. bruno's, winn-dixie, etc., mostly for the design of the stores. today's grocery stores are incredibly huge and it takes a lot longer to find what you need than it used to, and the exposed ceiling "warehouse" look that grocery stores have had since the late 90s is very impersonal and cold. some stores around the metro (like wayfield foods) still have the smaller and more cozy format, but the prices don't match kroger; kroger prices are incredibly cheaper than almost any other grocery store.
For the most part, the nicer looking Krogers are the ones that used to be Harris Teeter (Decatur and Sage Hill are two examples). Harris Teeter was pricey but I liked their stores and hated it when Kroger purchased some of their locations around Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
While this is a Publix / Kroger thread, I just gotta say that I adore me some Ingles.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM

62 posts, read 121,926 times
I forgot Atlanta people nicknamed the Kroger stores lol

My aunt lives like 20 minutes away from the Ghetto Kroger I believe

Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
While this is a Publix / Kroger thread, I just gotta say that I adore me some Ingles.
ingles is really nice and kind of retains that old-style store look while offering a lot of variety and good prices.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 AM

787 posts, read 968,530 times
Publix, it has better customer service, they still take your groceries out to the car, workers on the floor and behind the counters make an effort to speak to you. The deli is better, seafood is better, they even cook it for you! Steamed crabs yum. And the produce is always fresh. Customer service is the biggest difference between the two to me.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
I don't see the great customer service at Publix.

Unless I'm at the register, the people on the floor rarely speak to you (excluding the meat department). They keep their heads down and keep on stocking or walk by without any acknowledgement.

Now, Sprouts, Costco or BJ's, they will come up to ask, if you need any help etc etc but I've never had that happen at Publix.

Last edited by PKCorey; 07-30-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Unless I'm at the register, the people on the floor rarely speak to you (excluding the meat department). They keep their heads down and keep on stocking or walk by without any acknowledgement. I just don't see this great customer service at Publix.

Now, Sprouts, Costco or BJ's, they will come up to ask, if you need any help etc etc but I've never had that happen at Publix.
Then you're probably shopping at an outlier amongst the Publix stores.

As for Sprouts, we had really been looking forward to it, but were really disappointed on our first and (so far) only visit.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
As for Sprouts, we had really been looking forward to it, but were really disappointed on our first and (so far) only visit.
On the basis of which criteria? Food quality? Service quality?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Unless I'm at the register, the people on the floor rarely speak to you (excluding the meat department). They keep their heads down and keep on stocking or walk by without any acknowledgement.

You get paid minimum wage and see how much you enjoy your job. Dry goods is a hard job and has high turn turn over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta