Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 5,423 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating with an associate's degree in Business Management this December. I will be moving in December 2015 or January 2016.

These are the things/factors I'm looking for. Based on the numbered list below, do you feel Atlanta would be a good fit for me?

1. A city that has a pretty strong cultural presence in the form of operas, museums, theaters, libraries and symphonies. A city that is highly literate and well-read as well.

2. A city that has a pretty strong financial/banking background. I want to get work as a bank examiner or loan officer. After I work as a bank examiner or loan oficer for several years I want to work as a financial advisor and hopefully get into investment baking if possible. Also am very interested in working as a salesman for medical equipment. Eventually, I want to start my own business. (around 10 years from now)

3. A city that has good race relations. This is very important for me. Here is what I look like. Based on how I look, would I fare ok in Atlanta?

4. A city where I can study the night sky and use my telescope in the evening. I know there are some places where you can't do this because of the smog, bright lights, etc. I am interested in astronomy as a hobby so this is pretty important.

5. I am also interested in real estate/real estate investment. So somewhere I can make pretty good money in real estate investment would be nice.

6. I want to climb the social ladder and elevate my social standing as much as possible. Would Atlanta give me a great opportunity of doing that? I guess this ties into my third point on my list of factors.

7. I will have $57,000 in student loan debt when I graduate in December 2015 so please keep that in mind. Would I be able to afford to live in Atlanta?

8. I would like to marry a woman who is Catholic or Jewish. I am 29 years old now and want to get married in my mid thirties.

Do you feel Atlanta fits most of this criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:08 PM

7,579 posts, read 10,721,729 times
Sure.

Also check out Charlotte, Dallas, Miami if not NYC

I find it kind of weird you'd like to marry someone Catholic or Jewish. The hyper-specificity of the list and difference between the two is interesting.

Real Estate in Miami is something to go into very cautiously.

Lastly, keep in mind you only have your associate's degree. It isn't worthless, but your long-term ambitions sound a bit lofty if you don't reconsider finishing up your education.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Sure.

Also check out Charlotte, Dallas, Miami if not NYC

I find it kind of weird you'd like to marry someone Catholic or Jewish. The hyper-specificity of the list and difference between the two is interesting.

Real Estate in Miami is something to go into very cautiously.

Lastly, keep in mind you only have your associate's degree. It isn't worthless, but your long-term ambitions sound a bit lofty if you don't reconsider finishing up your education.

Thanks. I made the same thread as this one and posted it in these cities forums I'm interested in as well:

Boston, Charlotte, Miami, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Richmond, and Minneapolis. All of those threads were deleted. Why were they deleted? I just wanted people's opinions from people who have lived in those cities or visited extensively before.

Anyway, regarding marrying someone who is Catholic and Jewish I'm interested in both faiths so that is why I mentioned that.

What kind of work will I be able to get with an associates degree in Business Management?

How can I decide what city to go to based on the 9 I listed if my threads are getting deleted?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,305,650 times
I would certainly think that Atlanta could be a good fit for you, though I definitely wouldn't move here before actually obtaining a job here.

I know there's a very active Atlanta Astronomy Club that has regular guided discussions and viewings of the night sky (with their very powerful telescopes or your own) on a mountain top northwest of the city. I just had a look but their website isn't working at this very moment. It is actually something that my wife and I have been interested in checking out as well. Unfortunately, light pollution in the city itself and most of the closer in suburbs makes getting a very clear view of the night sky difficult, but that is true of any major metro area. When the weather is good, especially in the winter when the skies are often very clear, I frequently have a very nice view of the stars from my back deck, and I am right in downtown Marietta. So, it is certainly possible to enjoy the stars here, but for really good views, you'll probably have to go another half hour out of town.

I do share cwkimbro's feelings that you would stand a better chance of meeting your career objectives if you went ahead and completed your bachelor's degree. Not to denigrate an associate's degree, but a four year degree would almost certainly be much more effective at opening doors for you, and having your level of student loan debt with only an associate's degree doesn't sound like a great equation for success, I'm sorry to say. If you need to work and can't attend school full time, definitely look at online programs from accredited institutions, and look at public schools to keep the costs down. (Definitely stay away from the for-profit schools.)

Good luck and let us know if you have additional questions, and do let us know what you decide to do!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,213,498 times
Yep, you'd like it here. The key is to get out there and experience a little of the city every week, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,096,592 times
Atlanta is definitely affordable(well suburbs at least), but I would look towards a city with a stronger financial background, like Charlotte. Banking would be their main industry.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta is definitely affordable(well suburbs at least), but I would look towards a city with a stronger financial background, like Charlotte. Banking would be their main industry.
While Charlotte might be more defined by finance with a higher percentage working in the financial industry, Atlanta's financial industry is actually larger with more money and more jobs in that industry. Charllotans do like to try to use the total holdings of BoA as a twisted way to say its the largest financial city, but that doesn't work in practice. The headquarters are in Charlotte, but the holdings and the activity generated are scattered across the country.

Finance does follow populations, wealth, and any economic activity.

Don't get me wrong, I recommend looking into Charlotte, but by sheer size Atlanta has more going on in that industry.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave24 View Post
Thanks. I made the same thread as this one and posted it in these cities forums I'm interested in as well:

Boston, Charlotte, Miami, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Richmond, and Minneapolis. All of those threads were deleted. Why were they deleted? I just wanted people's opinions from people who have lived in those cities or visited extensively before.

Anyway, regarding marrying someone who is Catholic and Jewish I'm interested in both faiths so that is why I mentioned that.

What kind of work will I be able to get with an associates degree in Business Management?

How can I decide what city to go to based on the 9 I listed if my threads are getting deleted?
To get the best and most up to date advice....

You need to spend some time looking at job postings. Specifically look at the education/experience expectations of jobs posted in financial services. You will see really quick what the industry expectations are for different positions.

With an associates degree, you are probably looking at a very general clerical position that might have some limitations on future career advancement, especially in an industry that is very demanding on math education. This isn't bad, but you need to do to the leg work. After doing so craft a long-term plan.

You always got to start somewhere lower and work your way up, but you might need to give your education a boost at some point. So create a strategy on when/how to do that. I would also try to find a mentor in a position above you at your first job that might be able to tell you what expectations are for those in positions further up the ladder.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 AM

36 posts, read 45,075 times
With an associates degree, in order to sell medical equipment.... You'd need that Associates to be in Medical Technology, and you'd need work experience with that degree.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:02 AM

37,822 posts, read 41,644,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
While Charlotte might be more defined by finance with a higher percentage working in the financial industry, Atlanta's financial industry is actually larger with more money and more jobs in that industry. Charllotans do like to try to use the total holdings of BoA as a twisted way to say its the largest financial city, but that doesn't work in practice. The headquarters are in Charlotte, but the holdings and the activity generated are scattered across the country.

Finance does follow populations, wealth, and any economic activity.

Don't get me wrong, I recommend looking into Charlotte, but by sheer size Atlanta has more going on in that industry.
Umm, no. Charlotteans (the correct demonym) know NYC is far and away the largest financial city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta