Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 11:52 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Excellent work by the Marietta gendarmes.

Quote:
Marietta Police dressed up as a construction crew at a busy Cobb County intersection Wednesday to catch distracted drivers in the act.

Most drivers paid no attention to the road crew working at Cobb Parkway at Roswell Road, but the crew wasn't radioing in survey readings -- they were busting distracted drivers.

“What we've done here is we're able to put officers in the roads so we're able to get close enough almost inside their cars so we can look down and see exactly what they're doing on their phones,” said Marietta police Officer Nick Serkedakis.

More...Police dress up as construction workers to catch distracted drivers | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
Is this legal??? If they are "undercover" do they expect people to actually stop or pull over for them?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Amen!!!! All for this!!!!!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:33 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Oh good grief! More irresponsible overreach by the thin blue line. Yes, texting while stopped is technically a violation, but it does nothing to actually improve safety and just dumps more money into the local coffers! I wish Georgia would go to a system like either Vermont or New Hampshire where the funds are given to the state who then returns them to the counties/cities based on something like road/lane miles and population (someone else explained the system in this form) then enforcement would truly be about safety rather than whatever shiny new toy the chief wants the money for!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Is this legal??? If they are "undercover" do they expect people to actually stop or pull over for them?
It's not entrapment. Entrapment would be something like an undercover cop handing them a cell phone with playboy open on the web browser then arresting them for being distracted.

It's also not illegal surveillance since they are in public. As long as the cops stay outside the vehicle they are fine. If they poked their head in without probable cause, that'd be different. That'd require a warrant.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I don't feel good about this strategy. I can see the potential for overreach and for constitutional abuses on several fronts.

As it stands America's collective police forces already do not seemingly any rigorous mandated teachings on the U.S. Constitutions involving the rights of the citizens.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I don't feel good about this strategy. I can see the potential for overreach and for constitutional abuses on several fronts.

As it stands America's collective police forces already do not seemingly any rigorous mandated teachings on the U.S. Constitutions involving the rights of the citizens.
Overreach of police in this victorian police state? No way! ;-)

The Constitution is outdated and we need some amendments. However, much less than pass a referendum so we can vote on an ammendment, the guys in congress can't even tie their own shoelaces.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,519 times
I'm all for this, distracted drivers kill more people than DUIs. I think the law should be clear, NO USE OF CELLPHONE PERIOD. You can only use your GPS if you have mounted, and you can't reroute your GPS while driving. I happen to be old enough to remember having a ca without a cellphone, or GPS.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I'm all for this, distracted drivers kill more people than DUIs. I think the law should be clear, NO USE OF CELLPHONE PERIOD. You can only use your GPS if you have mounted, and you can't reroute your GPS while driving. I happen to be old enough to remember having a car without a cellphone, or GPS.
Yep.

Some people today may not believe it but it's entirely possible to drive from one place to another without texting, checking email or yakking on the phone.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Oh good grief! More irresponsible overreach by the thin blue line. Yes, texting while stopped is technically a violation, but it does nothing to actually improve safety and just dumps more money into the local coffers! I wish Georgia would go to a system like either Vermont or New Hampshire where the funds are given to the state who then returns them to the counties/cities based on something like road/lane miles and population (someone else explained the system in this form) then enforcement would truly be about safety rather than whatever shiny new toy the chief wants the money for!
Going up to Pennsylvania for grad school. Evidently texting is allowed if the car is stopped which makes much more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: