Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:03 AM

222 posts, read 231,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Can't wait for the "rent control should be enacted" crowd to show up...
with zero understanding of economics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Supply and demand. There is a high demand in to live intown and a limited supply, that is why there are SO MANY new multifamily developments being built.
Yup. We are still in the middle of the pack compared to other big cities.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM

749 posts, read 886,642 times
Quote:
Supply and demand. There is a high demand in to live intown and a limited supply, that is why there are SO MANY new multifamily developments being built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yup. We are still in the middle of the pack compared to other big cities.

Too much elbow room, I'd say.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Or live on a part of town where this hasn't happened.

It's mostly an intown phenomenon.
Rents are increasing all over. But IMO people need to move into the neighborhoods where housing is actually still kind of cheap (west and south) in the city.

Only specific neighborhoods are super expensive and people only want to live in those neighborhoods due to (IMO) mostly irrational fears or "shopping/materialism" options.

Move to Vine City and West End, they are not as expensive even though the rents over there are increasing as well. But you can find places less than $1200 a month and even in the $600-$900 a month still.

I have a house I rented for $900 a month (4bd 3ba). Since our tenants are great and never miss a payment and I am still making a profit on that house, as long as taxes don't increase too much, we willl keep the rent the same for them for 2 years or longer.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
I agree that rent is ridiculously high. I don't know how I feel about rent control because I'm not from a place that had it in the sense that I understand it works in New York so I have not taken the time to think about it. However, there were limits on what percentage of increase a landlord could make at lease renewal time.

That is pretty much the point of locking in on a longer term lease. In Georgia, there appear to be no limits at all. They could increase it 500% and no laws are in place to stop it.

I'm paying way more than I want to in Midtown, but it's a decision I made. I think one of two things is going to happen or perhaps both. One - when the newer intown developments are completed, the older complexes will be forced to drop their rent costs. Two - the southside may become more desirable and result in a migration.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times
Might as well move to NYC if this keeps up....

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM

445 posts, read 516,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Move to Vine City and West End, they are not as expensive even though the rents over there are increasing as well. But you can find places less than $1200 a month and even in the $600-$900 a month still.
Some good advice here, especially with respect to West End.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM

445 posts, read 516,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Two - the southside may become more desirable and result in a migration.
I definitely foresee this happening.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

I'm paying way more than I want to in Midtown, but it's a decision I made. I think one of two things is going to happen or perhaps both. One - when the newer intown developments are completed, the older complexes will be forced to drop their rent costs. Two - the southside may become more desirable and result in a migration.
The explosion in apartments and rental rates reminds me of a decade ago with the condo market. Sooner or later the rental market will have to level off (or worse crash).

Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 AM

23,445 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
There it is. Same thing is happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta