Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nashville is a great city and I love the downtown/Lower Broadway area...but it has already out-sprawled and out-Atlanta'd Atlanta. Comparing Nashville's population of 1.7 million spread across 7400 square miles versus Atlanta's 5.5 million people and 8400 square miles - it's easy to see which city has more serious issues. Atlanta has actually been moving quickly toward improving urbanization and transit in recent years, and the economy seems to have completely bounced back. Nashville can only hope to follow in Atlanta's footsteps in the future.
All the more reason for Nashville to get its act together now. At least the population is "only" 1.7 million, as challenging as that it is - they still have time to adapt to smarter policies than an area with a larger population, which was the point of the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:45 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would say the people who are buying this property are wealthy Yankees.

I am from East Tennessee and received several offers in Nashville between $35-40k. I couldn't justify moving for the increase in cost of living. I ended up getting an offer in Indy for $50k. I've had other calls in Nashville but they are all pitifully low in comparison to Florida, bigger metros, and northern areas.
Yeah, actually several studies have recently come out saying that an individual needs to make around $50K to live decently (modestly) well in Nashville. So that is turning the focus on whether service professionals, like firefighters, police officers, public servants, teachers, etc. will even be able to afford to live in or near the city in which they work in the near future (it's not looking good).

There's a lot of talk going on right now about affordable housing, but as you may figure, it's one of those NIMBY issues. People talk a good one, but almost no one wants such development or housing options in their own neighborhoods.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Transit has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism levied at Nashville. I don't think you understood the original point at all.

And there's absolutely nothing Rustbelt about Nashville whatsoever. Do you even understand what that term means??? No way in the world is Nashville less culturally Southern than Atlanta...that's just ridiculous.
Opinions Man, Opinions,, We all are entitled...

Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Opinions Man, Opinions,, We all are entitled...
Many of your opinions don't have any logical basis to them though. For instance, you can think Nashville is like a Rustbelt city but that's not rooted in fact as Nashville doesn't have a history of heavy industry and subsequent deindustrialization. Furthermore, a city's "good ol' boy" climate isn't the same as a city's transit system being hamstrung by the state--it's apples and oranges and the two have very little to do with each other.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Yeah, actually several studies have recently come out saying that an individual needs to make around $50K to live decently (modestly) well in Nashville. So that is turning the focus on whether service professionals, like firefighters, police officers, public servants, teachers, etc. will even be able to afford to live in or near the city in which they work in the near future (it's not looking good).

There's a lot of talk going on right now about affordable housing, but as you may figure, it's one of those NIMBY issues. People talk a good one, but almost no one wants such development or housing options in their own neighborhoods.
COL is one thing, especially if the jobs keep up with the cost of living. From my experience, they certainly don't in Nashville. I have routinely gotten offers for $10k-$20k less in Nashville than for Indianapolis, and Indianapolis is actually A LOT cheaper in terms of rent and property prices. IMO, you can get more than what Nashville offers for less in Tampa, Atlanta, and likely Charlotte.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
All the more reason for Nashville to get its act together now. At least the population is "only" 1.7 million, as challenging as that it is - they still have time to adapt to smarter policies than an area with a larger population, which was the point of the video.
1.7 million people in an area almost the size of metro Atlanta - that's the point. I'm afraid the damage is already done...Nashville will be scrambling to densify, improve transit, and urbanize much the way Atlanta has been doing for many years.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think looking at the density of the urbanized area gives a better indication of how sprawled a place is; since MSAs include entire counties which often have wide swaths that are rural, the population within the entire MSA square mileage can be somewhat misleading. By that measure, Nashville and Atlanta are pretty much the same at roughly 1700 ppm. Most other larger inland Southern urban areas are within that same range (1500-2000).

Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
I think looking at the density of the urbanized area gives a better indication of how sprawled a place is; since MSAs include entire counties which often have wide swaths that are rural, the population within the entire MSA square mileage can be somewhat misleading. By that measure, Nashville and Atlanta are pretty much the same at roughly 1700 ppm. Most other larger inland Southern urban areas are within that same range (1500-2000).
Typically I agree, but you still have to investigate the context too.

Nashville's growth recently has boomed so far from the city center some of it is still technically in a different urban area by definition, even though it is clearly suburban commuter growth of Nashville by commuting patterns.

We have had similar issues in the past, but it makes up a much smaller fraction of our total size now.

Another simple way of putting it is over 80% of metro Atlanta is inside the Atlanta UA, whereas only 55% of Nashville's metro is in its UA.

Now some of that 45% is legitimately pre-existing rural growth in the Nashville area, but a large chunk of that is in scattered exurban developments that do not connect to an existing urban area, which they have made transportation upgrades to reinforce. This is a large part of where Nashville's growing problem is.

Now for us it exists too, it just represents 20% of area area and we have more rural landscape from the high number of counties in our msa as well.

I do roughly agree we all have the same types of growth with so much developable land available and runaway land consumption so common in the Southern US. It just seems to me so early in their metropolitan development they have some suburban areas that reach out close to Atlanta's far off of ones and they have reinforced them with something similar to what would have been our outer perimeter. That was really my initial criticism comes from, if not the other posters. It seems to me Atlanta at 1.7m was far smaller than what Nashville has spread out to at 1.7 million, yet the ad is making a boogey-man out of us.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Many of your opinions don't have any logical basis to them though. For instance, you can think Nashville is like a Rustbelt city but that's not rooted in fact as Nashville doesn't have a history of heavy industry and subsequent deindustrialization. Furthermore, a city's "good ol' boy" climate isn't the same as a city's transit system being hamstrung by the state--it's apples and oranges and the two have very little to do with each other.
I know what Rust belt is and in spite the history, it has a more Rust belt feel to me, Like I said, that's my opinion.. also when I say good ol boy, I'm speaking of how government is ran, and government plays a part in infrastructure which has everything to do with public transportation and TRAFFIC..I'm not here to knock ur opinions so don't knock mine. I understand where this is going so I will leave it alone.. peace be with U...

Old 08-12-2015, 05:38 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
I take this video as a compliment. Clearly Nashville wants to be Atlanta just as bad a Birmingham does, but I ask them what is wrong with being yourself. I escape to Nashville for the charm they have, and some pretty cool restaurants for a city it's size...They'll never be an Atlanta b/c when we continue to grow, they will be where we where 15yrs prior....Atlanta will always have traffic issues. Even when we expand Marta and do all we can. It's just come with the territory of being a growing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta