Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
South Fulton seems like just a power grab by some politician. It originally had a really high mayor's salary before the bill got amended. It makes much more sense for Atlanta to get a vote on that large area of South Fulton as they wanted last session and for Union City/Fairburn/Palmetto, etc. to annex the rest.
It's not some politician. It is William Edwards (former Fulton County Commissioner), Roger Bruce, and LaDawn Jones whom are all behind this attempt. There are others because the list is long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:43 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
In most ways, the NPU system works better than most suburban municipalities' city councils in this region because they can and will block badly planned developments. I've seen far too many suburban municipalities ignore or completely shut out the homeowners association, neighborhood associations, and/or community associations from having input on developments. Meanwhile, Atlanta will support the NPUs on blocking these bad developments all the way to court especially when they know the developer(s) have basically ignored the adjacent property owners.
There are significant trade-offs. For one thing, you get development by committee. See Edgewood.

I don't think its all the city that caused permits that took 5 weeks in Cobb County to take 42 in the city of Atlanta back when Mayor Reed was elected (I haven't seen more recent figures).

I know a small school that took a year and $15,000 in consultant's fees to get a permit to operate in a church (and there had been a school there before, but apparently the permit lapsed) because a SINGLE resident objected. The rest of the neighborhood wanted the school. But they had to go through all the NPU bureaucracy.

NPUs (and Atlanta in general) is very NIMBY. They will tend to block good developments too.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The city usually backs the NPUs but not always.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Actually they did at one time collude with Cobb County to create a shell city called "Chattahoochee Plantation" that was only TEN FEET WIDE (you read that right) for the sole purpose of preventing Atlanta from annexing into Cobb.
That wasn't a legally-imposed restriction on the city of Atlanta, though. I do agree it was incredibly stupid and more fear-mongering by idiot suburban politicians (CoA never had any serious intention of annexing East Cobb).

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There are significant trade-offs. For one thing, you get development by committee. See Edgewood.

I don't think its all the city that caused permits that took 5 weeks in Cobb County to take 42 in the city of Atlanta back when Mayor Reed was elected (I haven't seen more recent figures).

I know a small school that took a year and $15,000 in consultant's fees to get a permit to operate in a church (and there had been a school there before, but apparently the permit lapsed) because a SINGLE resident objected. The rest of the neighborhood wanted the school. But they had to go through all the NPU bureaucracy.

NPUs (and Atlanta in general) is very NIMBY. They will tend to block good developments too.
The NPU process overall does what it suppose to do allow citizens the right to voice their concerns or support for developments. Most of the time if there is a reason to block a development then it is either bad planning or it's likely one of the Buckhead or Northeast Atlanta NPUs whom are very NIMBYs and particular about anything that comes before them. Overall, of Atlanta's 25 NPUs only 4 of them truly qualify as NIMBY-like.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That wasn't a legally-imposed restriction on the city of Atlanta, though. I do agree it was incredibly stupid and more fear-mongering by idiot suburban politicians (CoA never had any serious intention of annexing East Cobb).
In practice it wasn't, but it was intended to be one. It was essentially a legalized blockade along the Chattahoochee River.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:01 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
In practice it wasn't, but it was intended to be one. It was essentially a legalized blockade along the Chattahoochee River.
True, and it was pretty disgusting (being from that area, I always wondered what the Chatt. Plantation signs were for).

Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
They are...

There are 8 annexation petitions simultaneously being vetted and analyzed by the City of Atlanta at the moment. East Lake Golf Course, numerous properties in the unincorporated portion of the East Lake neighborhood of Dekalb County, South Oaks at Cascade neighborhood in Southwest Fulton are going to Atlanta City Council within the next 3-4 weeks for public hearing. Furthermore, there have been other annexation petitions submitted involving other areas in around East Lake, Gresham Park, and the city-owned properties including "Old Atlanta Prison Farm" in Dekalb County. Also the Loch Lomond neighborhood petition will likely be vetted and approved.

The City of Atlanta owns numerous properties along Fulton Industrial Boulevard and in the process of annexing those after the court ruled the 1978 state amendment prohibiting Atlanta city limits from being within the Fulton Industrial Boulevard CID was unconstitutional and failed to conduct a proper public notice during its advertisement. Furthermore, the court ruling on the requirement of any property owner annexed into Atlanta city limits to send their children to APS is still pending. Finally, Sandtown petition will likely have to be resubmitted because the dubious state law on property deeds and executors of the estates of deceased property owners.

The likelihood of South Fulton being approved isn't high. There must another feasibility study conducted because of the 2,500+ acres of land that has been annexed by various municipalities in Fulton has significantly altered the study area of unincorporated Fulton County.

The City of Atlanta will likely increase in size in the next 12-18 months quite a bit especially on the Fulton County side. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta city limits winds up in most of the areas of Dekalb south of I-20 and inside of the I-285 including the South Dekalb Mall area.
As a resident of NPU-O, I approve the East Lake and Charlie Yates GC annexation.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:38 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
The NPU's tend to be pretty pro-development once the projects are whipped into shape, although they can be pretty persnickety about details. I can't think of them opposing down any good developments.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Edmund Park...

Quote:
^^^This!^^^

Even though, as one member here wrote earlier, Atlanta really had no designs on jumping accross the river via annexation into Cobb County, this move was undertaken by Cobb to protect itself from encroachment by Atlanta. Mind you, even though as far as I know there never ever was a single solitary resident in the tiny, narrow Chattahoochee Plantation strip of land, the incorporation was nevertheless allowed to stand & served it's purpose as intended.
I've been in metro Atlanta for 35 years, 30 of them spent living in the City of Atlanta & seen a lot of things happen in my days here. During that time frame, Cobb has repeatedly made moves that were intended to be like finger pokes into the eyes of the City of Atlanta & adopted a sort of go-it-alone attitude even toward other suburban counties. There has not been a single other metro Atlanta county that has had a comparable anti-Atlanta attitude nor one so negatively set against cooperating with other suburban jurisdictions.
Cobb has had this anti-Atlanta mindset & practiced it to perfection to the extent that even though I moved out of the city 5 years ago, I still have personally negative feelings toward Cobb & even the simple thought of it erks me.
With perspective on this history, perhaps newer residents & members here can examine the Cobb Braves move situation under a somewhat different lense than has commonly been done on the Forum given the long term history between Atlanta & Cobb which is pretty one-sided as being Cobb against the City of Atlanta in policy and practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta