Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 PM

145 posts, read 166,044 times

Advertisements

The anti-Braves comments are confusing to me. I lived in Arlington, TX from 1990 until I moved back to Atlanta in 1998. During that time, the Dallas Cowboys played at Texas Stadium in Irving, a suburb 11 miles NW of downtown Dallas. I went to High School in Fort Worth, which is 32 miles from Dallas. We were ALL Cowboys fans.

Now, they did move their stadium even farther from Dallas and into another county, which is located in the middle of the metroplex. None of my lifelong Texas relatives complained about them not being within the city limits of Dallas, let alone in Dallas county.

I understand the variables are different, but my point is that everyone in the Atlanta Metro Area likely considers themselves Atlantans. I can only speak for myself.

As for the original topic, I am excited to see this part of Atlanta revert back to its roots prior to the Braves coming to town. To have read and understood how and why Fulton County stadium was built at this location, this is going to only be good for Atlanta as a city. It's not like where Turner field sits now was vacant property prior. My understanding is this was a prominent part of Atlanta before both 20 and 85/75 were built, which essentially doomed the neighborhoods to to what we see today. And made it all that much easier, and cheaper, to build Fulton County, Olympic and Turner stadiums.

IMO, the Braves and Atlanta had 50 years to incorporate that part of town with the rest of the community. I think that's enough time to prove nothing was ever going to happen.

Is Cobb county the right location? Was it executed the right way? Fair questions and prior posts have covered those aspects quite well. My point is that we need to move on and come together to focus on the future. And right some wrongs in the process.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedClear55 View Post
The anti-Braves comments are confusing to me. I lived in Arlington, TX from 1990 until I moved back to Atlanta in 1998. During that time, the Dallas Cowboys played at Texas Stadium in Irving, a suburb 11 miles NW of downtown Dallas. I went to High School in Fort Worth, which is 32 miles from Dallas. We were ALL Cowboys fans.

Now, they did move their stadium even farther from Dallas and into another county, which is located in the middle of the metroplex. None of my lifelong Texas relatives complained about them not being within the city limits of Dallas, let alone in Dallas county.

I understand the variables are different, but my point is that everyone in the Atlanta Metro Area likely considers themselves Atlantans. I can only speak for myself.

As for the original topic, I am excited to see this part of Atlanta revert back to its roots prior to the Braves coming to town. To have read and understood how and why Fulton County stadium was built at this location, this is going to only be good for Atlanta as a city. It's not like where Turner field sits now was vacant property prior. My understanding is this was a prominent part of Atlanta before both 20 and 85/75 were built, which essentially doomed the neighborhoods to to what we see today. And made it all that much easier, and cheaper, to build Fulton County, Olympic and Turner stadiums.

IMO, the Braves and Atlanta had 50 years to incorporate that part of town with the rest of the community. I think that's enough time to prove nothing was ever going to happen.

Is Cobb county the right location? Was it executed the right way? Fair questions and prior posts have covered those aspects quite well. My point is that we need to move on and come together to focus on the future. And right some wrongs in the process.
Arlington, Texas, had a whole set of issues with their new monstrosity--I mean, football stadium: Abandoning a reasonably functional stadium with decent transportation options, lack of transit around the new stadium (Arlington literally has zero transport options--not even buses), milking the local government for revenue, etc. And Cowboys Stadium doesn't even have the planned development that SunTrust Park will!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:06 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedClear55 View Post

Interesting thoughts.

I think what made Atlanta different is the Braves seem to be leaving just as intown renewal has a great deal of traction.

As for how people have responded and behaved... to be honest most in the metro region aren't making that large of a deal over this and it will take a little bit of time for some people to get over it. I also don't think it helped that this was announced without much warning. It was a shock when it happened.

I disagree with the premise that nothing would have ever happened, if it hadn't in the past 50 years. Market demand matters. It would have been difficult to develop much in that area in the 70s and 80s, whereas nowadays the city can attract multiple developers at least interested. In time things would change, now that might not be quick enough for some. That was part of the problems between the Braves and the city. The Braves really wanted to control development of that area beyond what was an ethical possibility for the city as the market demand was rising.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie16 View Post
giants
jets
cowboys
redskins
dolphins
bills
pistons
coyotes
49ers

all are teams that do not play within their city limits. This is hardly unique or a terrible thing that the braves stadium is 5 miles outside the city. The detroit pistons for example play 33 miles outside of detroit.
baseball baseball baseball baseball!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It's not really about the city limits. None of those teams relocate to places to actively isolate themselves from and put down the city they are named after.
^This.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Geez I drive to Pennsylvania and I still can't get away from this.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
What is around Turner Field again?

I feel zero sympathy to those that drove the Braves out of ATL.
Not much now. But look how much was going on in the area before the Braves arrived (As well as a glimpse into the future Cumberland has to look forward to):

How a Densely Populated Neighborhood Became Turner Field: A Map Essay | Georgia State University Library Blog

Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Interesting thoughts.

I think what made Atlanta different is the Braves seem to be leaving just as intown renewal has a great deal of traction.

As for how people have responded and behaved... to be honest most in the metro region aren't making that large of a deal over this and it will take a little bit of time for some people to get over it. I also don't think it helped that this was announced without much warning. It was a shock when it happened.

I disagree with the premise that nothing would have ever happened, if it hadn't in the past 50 years. Market demand matters. It would have been difficult to develop much in that area in the 70s and 80s, whereas nowadays the city can attract multiple developers at least interested. In time things would change, now that might not be quick enough for some. That was part of the problems between the Braves and the city. The Braves really wanted to control development of that area beyond what was an ethical possibility for the city as the market demand was rising.
I think a baseball stadium with lots of parking lots discourages anything else.

That's why I think the GSU idea has traction. They are putting students on the site right away along with the athletic fields. Students need services.

Could a mixed use work without the school? Maybe. But its really a poor location. Access isn't easy. There's no transit. And its right next to a couple of freeways.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
baseball baseball baseball baseball!
The map of their ticket holders was telling. Their new site is right in the north/south center of their fan base. 400 is the east/west center. So they are much closer and easier to reach for most of their customers.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The map of their ticket holders was telling. Their new site is right in the north/south center of their fan base. 400 is the east/west center. So they are much closer and easier to reach for most of their customers.
Why are you telling me this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta