Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 50,356 times

Advertisements

What was disgusting about it, dmv2atl?

Well, then heck...I could say the same sort of things and reverse the race...so lets see how that sounds...

Lets go to the cowboy bar somewhere in the mountains and see how long it takes before you are accosted? Thirty seconds? Hell, they would probably jump on ME, too. How is it disgusting to point out the racism?? It doesn't make me racist.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 AM

68 posts, read 121,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeTown View Post
Calm down, she was barely 20 years old, and looked young, so she was a girl to me as I am 40. The one in the Kia was older, and therefore a woman. See how you just went off on me for nonsense? I am pointing out that every time I have an encounter with a 'fat black woman', they are unnecessarily hateful on me. It IS happening, and it is NOT cool. It is almost like smiling at them and saying 'excuse me' is a license to be spiteful.

If I appear ignorant, then oh well. I am giving my account of what I witness. From my perspective, it seems that the black people I encounter are rude and spiteful, spewing non-stop racially-biased hate for no good reason. If you can't handle that, then that isn't my problem. At every point in my post I noted that they were people I directly encountered.

I still smile and hold open the door. Try smiling back, or giving a nod, or something other than pointing out how much a racist I am.

Atlanta proper is 65% black from the last poll I saw, btw.

And for the record, I didn't categorize every black person in Atlanta as anything. If you want some sort of proof, let's go downtown to any all-black club or bar and see how long I can sit there without being accosted. Seriously. Thirty seconds? Ten minutes? Anyone, especially a black person, that claims most black people are NOT racist is not living in reality. Some teach their children that white people are the devil. Every white mom I know has taught their kids that everyone should be merited on who they are, without prejudice to their race.

I KNOW this is not the politically correct perspective. It is MY perspective.

Edit: It also doesn't happen every time, and what I posted were the negative ones. I have lots of black people, and all races of people, smile and say 'hey' or whatever, all the time. I'm not saying I run around looking for it. I noted the encounters, and gave my opinion. Again, if my opinion bothers you then lets debate about it...and the word is 'lose', not 'loose'. Loose change is falling coinage.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 AM

Ok, I see your points. I will work to proof-read myself before just hammering out these replies and posting them.

I used 'most' and generalized a lot. I see that.

Still don't think that saying 'fat black woman' is racist, though. C'mon.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM

That's my point. In my comments I acknowledged racism from myself as well as racism against me. in your post, you bashed African-Americans and painted a picture-perfect view of your own race. Again, short-sided. It seems to me that you are part of the problem, not the solution. And where on Earth are you getting that racism is a whites-only thing?? Again, short-sided. My advice to you, befriend or at least get to know a few African Americans so that you can get some true insight. I am quite sure you will find as humans, we have a lot in common. INCLUDING racist ways. Berating the parenting of African Americans?? What is wrong with you? As an educator for the last 10 years, I have served as a teacher, assistant principal, and principal. All located in urban inner-city schools. I can not tell you how many times I have been baffled by an African American child asking me what is white? Am I white? This is because race is NOT discussed in their home. They don't even refer to themselves as black, they say that they are brown. Again, because race is not discussed in their home. Let alone being taught that "white people are the devil?". Again, I encourage you to educate yourself more on what goes on in African American households before spewing out comments such as those. They are very offensive.

Quote:
What was disgusting about it, dmv2atl?

Well, then heck...I could say the same sort of things and reverse the race...so lets see how that sounds...

Lets go to the cowboy bar somewhere in the mountains and see how long it takes before you are accosted? Thirty seconds? Hell, they would probably jump on ME, too. How is it disgusting to point out the racism?? It doesn't make me racist.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 AM

It's just derogatory DomeTown!! More-so I think because of the context of this conversation...Ordinarily I've been know to spit out a few insults or jabs such as those myself...minus to black/white after fat.

Quote:
Ok, I see your points. I will work to proof-read myself before just hammering out these replies and posting them.

I used 'most' and generalized a lot. I see that.

Still don't think that saying 'fat black woman' is racist, though. C'mon.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,325,745 times
No, dmv2atl, you didn't put words in my mouth, I did. And trust me when I say I am ashamed of feeling that way.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Ok, I see that point, too. I wasn't painting anything picture-perfect...I am saying that there a lot of people out there that think that white people are the devil...some are young...some are black...and they didn't get it from TV? Or did they?

You have black kids asking you if they are white? Wha?

This is all very confusing.

I am pretty sure I was complaining about some overweight, possibly African-American, rude people in small foreign automobiles...that could have been females of varying age?

I have seen more racist black people than racist white people in the last year. That is a fairly benign statement? Is that because I am white? Is that racist? Is it any less true, from my perspective?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No, dmv2atl, you didn't put words in my mouth, I did. And trust me when I say I am ashamed of feeling that way.

Well to be honest, I think it is natural for anyone of any race to feel some form of resentment when constantly being treated or berated by any particular group. I just want to be clear that I am an african-american and I do not approve of "reverse-racism" or what ever you want to call it. I hope that your experiences change for the better convextech because I DO know what it is like...not because 400 years ago slavery exists, but because of the experiences that I have had in my lifetime. It doesn't feel good, and as a human race I think we all need to do better.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM

On the way *some* kids are raised, here's an example: I live in a decent neighborhood and two of my neighbors are black, one of them next door. I see them frequently and we wave to one another, and my next-door neighbor and I usually have a chat when we are both outside at the same time. One weekend morning as I was going to the store, I saw that some visitors had just pulled up in her driveway and were just getting out of their car, and a small boy about 4 years old saw me, and said to his mother, "I TOLD you there'd be crackers up in here!" I just burst out laughing, but as I drove away I thought, where did he get that way of thinking? And it just made me sad.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Yes, we all need to work together to work through it. I have enjoyed having a mild discussion with you without having a flame war, by the way. This topic gets quite heated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta