Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:58 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,080,738 times

Advertisements

What most people mean when they use the word "racism" is actually prejudice, bigotry, or discrimination. Racism is the belief that one's race is superior to another, such as a white supremicist. Prejudice is literally what is sounds like, prejudging someone based on superficial characteristics - we all do this to some degree, such as when we assume that someone driving an old pickup truck is a "redneck" for example. Bigotry is taking prejudice one step further, that is, actively disliking someone based on a superficial characteristic. Discrimination is the next step, treating someone differently based on a superficial characteristic, such as race. When most people use the word "racism," they really mean discrimination or bigotry.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM

826 posts, read 3,111,513 times
I have never experienced racism at work. The only issues I have experienced have been from other African Americans regarding my Caucasian husband. I live in a very very diverse neighborhood in the city so this may by why I haven't experienced many problems.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Default Discrimination and Bigotry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
What most people mean when they use the word "racism" is actually prejudice, bigotry, or discrimination. Racism is the belief that one's race is superior to another, such as a white supremicist. Prejudice is literally what is sounds like, prejudging someone based on superficial characteristics - we all do this to some degree, such as when we assume that someone driving an old pickup truck is a "redneck" for example. Bigotry is taking prejudice one step further, that is, actively disliking someone based on a superficial characteristic. Discrimination is the next step, treating someone differently based on a superficial characteristic, such as race. When most people use the word "racism," they really mean discrimination or bigotry.
Um...if someone is engaging in "discrimination" or "bigotry" then they do think their race is superior. Discrimination and bigotry are racism. There is a big misconception in the recent modern era that gives the idea that one has to be in the KKK or Skinheads in order to be classified as a racist.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um...if someone is engaging in "discrimination" or "bigotry" then they do think their race is superior. Discrimination and bigotry are racism. There is a big misconception in the recent modern era that gives the idea that one has to be in the KKK or Skinheads in order to be classified as a racist.
Um... read the dictionary. It is much more productive to discuss these issues if the correct terms are used.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Here you go, directly from the dictionary on my bookshelf:

Racism : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Discrimination: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b: prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um...if someone is engaging in "discrimination" or "bigotry" then they do think their race is superior. Discrimination and bigotry are racism.
No Aries, discrimination and bigotry are not "racism". Prejudice is not racism. A lot of folks seem to have been raised with the belief that all are one and the same, but it's a false belief and it's one thing that keeps a lot of folks from simply living for today instead of in the past and making something of their lives because they're always too busy looking for racism.

EVERY human being is prejudice on some level. Every single one. If you're not prejudice, then you're a robot. I've not yet met any humanoid looking robots, so I assume everyone I come into contact with currently is still human. It may be something simple like you don't like folks who stutter when they talk, or maybe you don't like people who listen to a particular type of music. Maybe you don't like someone because they belong to a particular political party.

On a more specific level, maybe someone doesn't like black people who live on welfare their whole lives, or maybe someone doesn't like white people who live in trailer parks and drive pickups. These are all different levels of prejudices. We all have them, and it's not racism. It doesn't mean you hate *everyone* who is of a particular race, or party, or genre. It just means that for whatever reason, certain segments of people within a group bug you. Again, that is NOT racism.

Discrimination is also not racism. You can discriminate against all women in the workplace. You can discriminate against hiring older workers or the handicapped. You can discriminate based on someone's religious beliefs or sexual orientation. This too, is NOT "racism".

Racism is when someone absolutely believes that every single person of a particular race is inferior to their own, or any or all others. There are some whites who are racists. There are blacks who are racists. There are people from the Middle East or the Asias who are racist. Every race has racists. They DO exist. But it's completely inaccurate to label anyone who has a prejudice, as someone who is racist - otherwise, every single human being on this Earth then, is a racist.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
No Aries, discrimination and bigotry are not "racism". Prejudice is not racism. A lot of folks seem to have been raised with the belief that all are one and the same, but it's a false belief and it's one thing that keeps a lot of folks from simply living for today instead of in the past and making something of their lives because they're always too busy looking for racism.

EVERY human being is prejudice on some level. Every single one. If you're not prejudice, then you're a robot. I've not yet met any humanoid looking robots, so I assume everyone I come into contact with currently is still human. It may be something simple like you don't like folks who stutter when they talk, or maybe you don't like people who listen to a particular type of music. Maybe you don't like someone because they belong to a particular political party.

On a more specific level, maybe someone doesn't like black people who live on welfare their whole lives, or maybe someone doesn't like white people who live in trailer parks and drive pickups. These are all different levels of prejudices. We all have them, and it's not racism. It doesn't mean you hate *everyone* who is of a particular race, or party, or genre. It just means that for whatever reason, certain segments of people within a group bug you. Again, that is NOT racism.

Discrimination is also not racism. You can discriminate against all women in the workplace. You can discriminate against hiring older workers or the handicapped. You can discriminate based on someone's religious beliefs or sexual orientation. This too, is NOT "racism".

Racism is when someone absolutely believes that every single person of a particular race is inferior to their own, or any or all others. There are some whites who are racists. There are blacks who are racists. There are people from the Middle East or the Asias who are racist. Every race has racists. They DO exist. But it's completely inaccurate to label anyone who has a prejudice, as someone who is racist - otherwise, every single human being on this Earth then, is a racist.
Um, Ohio Native and atlanta greg...

If someone is practicing bigotry and discrimination based on race that is racism.

Don't try to excuse yourselves or make yourselves (or a group of people) feel better.

It's plain and simple. Only closet racists try to play these "semantic games" when the truth is clear.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,982,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yami29 View Post
As a Hispanic, I too have experienced ignorance ,and animosity from both Whites, and Blacks who have had no exposure to other cultures besides their own. In the northern states everyone is exposed to cultures outside of their own, because the population make up has been like that for centuries.
I'm not sure I understand this. Most of the northwest and north-central states in the US are predominantly white, and tend to have far fewer minorities (and thus be even more homogeneous) than what you see in southern states like Georgia, Texas, etc. I'm speaking of Washington, Montana, the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois outside of the Chicago area, etc. You almost never see asians, latinos, etc. in the rural parts of those states.

You might have a point about some specific parts of the northeastern US (like New York City, which tends to be an exception to many rules), but again even places like Maine, Pennsylvania, etc., or even upstate New York tend to be predominantly white.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM

7,513 posts, read 11,301,785 times
Racism is everywhere in America.

It's just it may "express" itself differently in different regions. More people on this Atlanta forum should check out the racial topics on the other city-data boards like Chicago's,New York's,Oakland's,Frisco ect.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,662,935 times
I keep saying we need another sticky for this topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta