Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And Avalon hasn't gotten good press?

The original post highlights the biggest issue with Atlanta. It doesn't feel like a metropolitan area of 5.7 million people because half of the metro is scared of going to the city or simply have no need to. It feels like a metro of 2.5 - 3 million people.

Do other big metros have this issue? NYC certainly doesn't. SF doesn't. LA doesn't. Miami doesn't. Chicago might, but it's big enough anyway that it doesn't matter. DC doesn't. Obviously, a lot of it is racial, but still. We're talking nearly 50% of Atlanta metro area hasn't gone to the city center or around it in at least a year.
You need to visit other city forums. Houston and NYC are super petty when it come to neighborhoods and suburbs vs city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years now. And I've lived ITP, OTP, in the far flung suburbs, and in the city of Atlanta. I've seen and heard it all. During that time, I've seen plenty of "too cool for school" people who took pride in never venturing OTP and walk around thinking they are better than anybody who does. But I've never seen the reverse. People OTP simply do not run around proclaiming how much better they are than those ITP and how if they come to Atlanta they are going to get killed. They just live their lives and come to the city when they have to.
Wish I could rep this like 100 times. Absolutely agree. Especially the "too cool for school" ITP crowd.

And the idea that a place like Krog St doesn't get positive press is just ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
I think the people that complain about the ITP v OTP stuff are just as annoying as all the ITP v OTP stuff. I find it very easy to avoid that silly debate.

As far as this forum v other cities, the other forums are virtually DEAD.

Where are people finding positive press about things ITP? CL, city data, reddit, saporta...that's about it. News via that AJC, radio, and TV is virtually all negative. ITP gets beat up constantly, I grew up in the suburbs and there most certainly is a crowd that won't venture into the city. Lots of people.

I love both ITP and OTP. They both have so much to offer. But honestly, for those that hate on either, stay where you are. Nobody wants your hating ass anyways.

Last edited by tikigod311; 08-17-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:47 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehshead690 View Post
I bookmarked this site years ago and frequent it weekly for information not typically covered by big local media. The never ending ITP vs. OTP debate and comparisons are of particular interest to me because from my observations most of the vitriol directed at people, places, and events ITP are not based on current conditions. I've concluded (rightly or wrongly) that the many of the opinions of those who have no use for anything ITP have a vested interest in the demise of the city core.

My profession takes me all over Metro Atlanta and the picture painted by the local media of life ITP is vastly different than what actually exist. I learned many years ago that once something was published in the newspaper or broadcast on the evening news that the money had long ago been made and what I was reading or hearing was history. The opportunity to ride and profit from the wave was over. During a recent conversation with a very good friend who lives in Johns Creek I suggested that he and his wife go to Krog St for dinner. He has lived and worked OTP for 20 years and did not venture into the city very often. He called the following day and thanked me profusely. He said that he had no idea of the transformation that had taken place in that part of Atlanta. We discussed possible reasons why this areas transformation didn't warrant media attention, and agreed that those persons that relied on the AJC or the local media for information were not interested in hearing anything good about Atlanta. Much like Fox News viewers are not interested in anything positive achieved by the current administration. They are fed what they want to hear. Atlanta is bad and you are safe and protected from all of Atlanta's ill by living in...Roswell or Kennesaw or Alpharetta.

Do problems exist ITP? Absolutely. Are living and working conditions, shopping experiences, entertainment options, personal safety concerns, and the overall quality of life different than OTP? Definitely. That's life in a big city and make no mistake Atlanta does qualify as a big city in America. ITP is perfect for the individuals that want that lifestyle just as everything OTP is for its residents. Let's celebrate that both are available and the choice is yours.
lehshead, i love OTP, but spend my recreational time ITP, main reason Im ALIVE. Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead thats where the energy is. I like that sort of energy. I dont have any problems with thos who avoid the city, thats just more for me. I would say since moving to Atlanta in 2007, my biggest issue that effects me the most is the Cobb VS Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton dynamic. Cobb refuses to join the metro spiritually and emotionally. The Cobb people like to behave like they exist 100 miles away from Atlanta, when the truth both counties spill into each other. If Cobb would join the metro, Atlanta metro would be a lot further. I cant really speak on Gwinnett, ive never lived on the East or Northeast areas of Atlanta. I dont see a lot of animosity from Gwinnett like I do from Cobb.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Meanwhile, other cities' forums are mainly centered around home sales and finding good schools. There was a topic here a month or so ago in which one poster described C-D Atlanta as a "dysfunctional family". Sure feels like it...

- skbl17[/quote]home sales and good schools are boring topics. Only the boring cities discuss that stuff. Thank god Atlanta has more going for itself than "who sells the best lawnmower" and "where is the best house painter" Make hot topics keep that boring stuff in the Mayberrys of America. Please.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Yeah that walk on the Beltline from KSM to Piedmont Park will have the average OTP'er wanting to move ITP
The bridge and tunnel folks, easily picked out of a crowd on the BeltLine.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The bridge and tunnel folks, easily picked out of a crowd on the BeltLine.

lol @ bridge and tunnel. No NYC has NEVER had the ITP v OTP debate.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
^^^ it hasn't?
Metro NYC has had it's own homegrown suburban vs. city turf rivalries going for decades as in NYC vs. Westchester County, NYC vs. New Jersey, NYC vs. Connecticut (more specifically Fairfield County), NYC vs. Long Island ( Nassau & Suffolk Counties), etc... I kid you not.
Atlanta's ITP vs. OTP is not particularly unique but it does have it's own brand stamp.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:18 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^^^ it hasn't?
Metro NYC has had it's own homegrown suburban vs. city turf rivalries going for decades as in NYC vs. Westchester County, NYC vs. New Jersey, NYC vs. Connecticut (more specifically Fairfield County), NYC vs. Long Island ( Nassau & Suffolk Counties), etc... I kid you not.
Atlanta's ITP vs. OTP is not particularly unique but it does have it's own brand stamp.
I was being sarcastic. The term 'bridge and tunnel' sums it up perfectly.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^^^ it hasn't?
People from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx say the same about Long/Staten Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta