Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
If you're going to show us the can, have the courage to open it. I'm not a Baby Boomer, but I certainly don't see the laundry list. The world and the country are a hell of a lot better off than when the Boomers came of age. Unless you have a problem with more human rights, more prosperity, more equality, more technology, less pollution, less crime, less war, less poverty, less disease, and less discrimination, I'm not sure what you really have to whine about. More traffic?

Yeah, perhaps those Boomers made a habit of spending beyond their means. For the most part, if you're a Millennial, they spent it on you.

To me, the Boomers are like the New York Yankees. Everybody else likes to point out their flaws, or when they can't do that, simply talk trash about them. But none of it changes the fact that the record of success looks pretty damned good.
The world was a better place for Boomers, only if they were white middle class and above. 50% of AA lived in poverty. The world lived with a threat of Nuclear War everyday.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,283,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
If you're going to show us the can, have the courage to open it..
Fine.

The embarrassment that is the War on Drugs.
The obvious conflict of interest that is our for-profit prison system.
Every industry moving towards monopolization.
Endless military boondoggles.
Consolidation of lavish wealth to a few, while everyone else gets scraps.
The climate emergency.
Destruction of the environment.
Crumbling infrastructure.
A legal and political system that consistently favors corporations over people.
Constant roadblocking of clean energy initiatives.
Consistently worsening quality of public education.
A medical system that heavily favors selling pills over improving health.
Horrible farming policies.
The ubiquitousness of processed and fast foods.
Sprawl.
Outsourcing jobs.

Shall I go on?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM

253 posts, read 303,046 times
I`m going to sit this one out LOL.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The world was a better place for Boomers, only if they were white middle class and above. 50% of AA lived in poverty. The world lived with a threat of Nuclear War everyday.
Agreed, the good old days were very selective.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,114,070 times

Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,283,475 times
I tried to warn them, but they insisted.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,738,504 times
A new episode of CD drama-Atlanta edition.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,129,693 times
Oi vey, so much crap to sift through in this article and in the thread.

1) To answer the question in the thread title: YES. A better question is, why not? Is there some kind of irreparable harm that will be inflicted on Atlanta if we invest more in MARTA, the streetcar, and the Beltline?

2) Hey, another thread turns into a generational pi**ing contest! Haven't seen one of those in....weeks. Come on, I'd hope that you people are more mature than that! The primary MARTA funding mechanism outlined in the MARTA Act of 1965 applies to everyone who buys things, regardless of age, race, gender, disability, or generation. Millenials pay the same 1% that Gen Xers and boomers do.

- skbl17

Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Oi vey, so much crap to sift through in this article and in the thread.

1) To answer the question in the thread title: YES. A better question is, why not? Is there some kind of irreparable harm that will be inflicted on Atlanta if we invest more in MARTA, the streetcar, and the Beltline?

2) Hey, another thread turns into a generational pi**ing contest! Haven't seen one of those in....weeks. Come on, you people are more mature than that (I'd hope)! The primary MARTA funding mechanism outlined in the MARTA Act of 1965 applies to everyone who buys things, regardless of age, race, gender, disability, or generation. Millenials pay the same 1% that Gen Xers and boomers do.

- skbl17
It also allows tourist and non-residents to help pay for the transit system.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:27 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,264,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What? I said the world today is a better place than when the Boomers came of age. They've left it better than they got it, so quit complaining. Are you just agreeing with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Fine.

The embarrassment that is the War on Drugs.
Ha! The Boomers were the first generation to bring those drugs into the popular culture, and the "war" was declared by their nemesis, Richard Nixon.

Quote:
The obvious conflict of interest that is our for-profit prison system.
The Boomers created the for-profit prison system? You'd prefer to go back to the chain gangs that still existed when they came of age? Alcatraz? Attica?

Quote:
Every industry moving towards monopolization.
You should inform those Boomer-era juggernauts like IBM and General Motors about that. I'm sure they'll be relieved.

Quote:
Endless military boondoggles.
Really? Would you like to compare them to Vietnam? How many tours did you serve when you were drafted?

Quote:
Consolidation of lavish wealth to a few, while everyone else gets scraps.
"Scraps" meaning dramatic reductions in global poverty, I guess.

Quote:
The climate emergency.
An emergency in the making since the industrial revolution, and a first response led by...Boomers. Even at home, where we've done less than other developed countries, a Boomer recently reached a major climate agreement with China and announced far-reaching regulations on carbon emissions.

Quote:
Destruction of the environment.
You've got to be kidding. Our air and water are far cleaner than when the Boomers came of age. Check out Silent Spring some time. Nearly everything we've accomplished to clean up and protect the environment has been accomplished during the Boomer Era.

Quote:
Crumbling infrastructure.
We have more and better infrastructure than the Boomers did when they came of age. You know, like MARTA. Around the globe, the transformation has been even more dramatic. Really, what are you talking about?

Quote:
A legal and political system that consistently favors corporations over people.
That sounds like an Occupy Wall Street slogan, but it certainly has no basis in fact. Compare your consumer protections, as just one example, to the situation that maintained prior to the publication of Unsafe at Any Speed in 1965.

Quote:
Constant roadblocking of clean energy initiatives.
Put another way, the greatest global investment in clean energy initiatives since the industrial revolution.

Quote:
Consistently worsening quality of public education.
Desegregated schools and consistently improving test scores?

Quote:
A medical system that heavily favors selling pills over improving health.
Less disease, lower infant mortality, longer lifespans?

Quote:
Horrible farming policies.
Kinda vague, but global hunger is way down compared to when the Boomers came of age, so...

Quote:
The ubiquitousness of processed and fast foods.
More affordable and accessible healthy and organic foods than in the DDT era when Boomers came of age.

Quote:
Sprawl.
Yes, Boomers and their spawn are largely responsible for the population growth that drives sprawl in this country. So I guess a legitimate criticism of the Boomers is that they exist and there are a lot of them.

Quote:
Outsourcing jobs.
Global trade that has lifted billions out of abject poverty around the world?

Quote:
Shall I go on?
Yes, please do. I honestly don't understand how any rational person can compare the world today to the world the Boomer inherited and then indict the Boomers for their "failures."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta