Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times

Advertisements

Yes, we can, should & are forging our own identity.
But one ought to see the "insecurity" visible on many of the city vs. city threads in that particular section of the forum.
It would appear there that there is a surprising but almost universally shared fear of this city or that city not being adequately appreciated or recognized for this factor or that factor.
Not really intending to single it out here to make an example of it, I've nevertheless been surprised at the level of insecurity found on those city vs city threads by some posters out of LA.
Any perceived insecurity by Atlantans is really nothing unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
It could, but New Orleans is actually a big ole bowl of fun.

If I want to shop, find a lucrative job, and buy a big house for less than the norm, then Atlanta is the place to be.

If I want some debauchery, great food, and just a good time 24 hrs, then New Orleans would be the better choice of the two.

I am an Atlantan since I've been here so long now, and I never understood the need to compare us to other cities. I especially don't understand the need to compare us to cities that are nothing like us. It reeks of insecurity. We're not NYC, we're not the Hollywood of the south, we're not the Motown of the south, and we will never be NOLA-like.

Can't we just forge our own identity? It just reeks of insecurity to always be worried about whether your city is better than another.
Practically all cities have rivalries to one extent or another; it's hardly unique to Atlanta.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekaye View Post
if i want to shop, find a lucrative job, and buy a big house for less than the norm, then atlanta is the place to be.

If i want some debauchery, great food, and just a good time 24 hrs, then new orleans would be the better choice of the two.

I am an atlantan since i've been here so long now, and i never understood the need to compare us to other cities. I especially don't understand the need to compare us to cities that are nothing like us. It reeks of insecurity. We're not nyc, we're not the hollywood of the south, we're not the motown of the south, and we will never be nola-like.

Can't we just forge our own identity? It just reeks of insecurity to always be worried about whether your city is better than another.

...(+1)

Old 08-24-2015, 01:50 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, we can, should & are forging our own identity.
But one ought to see the "insecurity" visible on many of the city vs. city threads in that particular section of the forum.
It would appear there that there is a surprising but almost universally shared fear of this city or that city not being adequately appreciated or recognized for this factor or that factor.
Not really intending to single it out here to make an example of it, I've nevertheless been surprised at the level of insecurity found on those city vs city threads by some posters out of LA.
Any perceived insecurity by Atlantans is really nothing unique.
I don't even read the city vs city threads so I wouldn't know. I have met people from lots of US cities and really have not heard much about rivalries between them. Aside from quite a bit about north vs south or east vs west, that's about it. That's regional though and not city specific.

If we were talking about rivalries between countries, then this would be a different conversation altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Practically all cities have rivalries to one extent or another; it's hardly unique to Atlanta.
I was not suggesting it was something unique to Atlanta, but it usually is the underdog that feels they have something to prove. Take it down a thousand already. When you know you are better in whatever criterium you choose to use, then just be it. You don't have to shout it from the rafters because everyone else will already know.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
...(+1)
Your name made me smile. I have had two addresses on Gentilly Blvd. in the 7 years I lived there.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,452 times
Quote:
Your name made me smile. I have had two addresses on Gentilly Blvd. in the 7 years I lived there.
you should definitely see the area now if you haven't recently.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
I was not suggesting it was something unique to Atlanta, but it usually is the underdog that feels they have something to prove. Take it down a thousand already. When you know you are better in whatever criterium you choose to use, then just be it. You don't have to shout it from the rafters because everyone else will already know.
This thread was started by someone who lives in N--not sure if he used to live in Atlanta though. Either way, I think you're making this out to be a lot bigger than what it is based on this one thread. The vast majority of responses are in the vein of "Nope, just football (if that)" or "Huh?"

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,063 times
The rivalry is strictly a sports rivalry. I have tons of family and friends in Louisiana and none of them have a harsh word to say about Atlanta outside of football season *lol*.

People from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and other cities in South Louisiana have been moving to Atlanta for years. Katrina brought some here by force, but I have come across numerous people that were here long before Katrina. On the flipside, I know a lot of Atlanta folks that visit New Orleans from time-to-time, especially for events (Mardi Gras, Essence Festival, Bayou Classic, etc.). The only difference that I have seen over the years is the Atlanta people look at New Orleans as a place to where they can possibly visit while New Orleans people look at Atlanta as a place to where they can possibly relocate.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This thread was started by someone who lives in N--not sure if he used to live in Atlanta though. Either way, I think you're making this out to be a lot bigger than what it is based on this one thread. The vast majority of responses are in the vein of "Nope, just football (if that)" or "Huh?"
I actually said the same thing about the only rivalry being football so you can count me in that number. I only responded to you because you suggested I was saying a city rivalry for whatever reason was unique to Atlanta. I never said that or even thought it. I am still saying that I don't think there is a rivalry other than Saints vs Falcond between New Orleans and Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM

120 posts, read 154,688 times
I lived in the Quarter for a year (2013.) I never heard any anti-Atlanta opinions unless it related to
an upcoming Falcons - Saints game. However...one thing I heard over and over and over again from
people in the service industry (which is pretty much everyone) was that the people of Atlanta are the
absolute worst all-time tippers. I should add, I have no idea if this true...none whatsoever. But that
idea is alive and well and strongly ingrained in the minds of the people who work and toil in NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta