Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM

21 posts, read 32,956 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I currently live in cincinnati but have some job prospects in Atl. Several options...one in Alpharetta and two others right near the perimeter and GA 400. What we are looking for in this stage of our life is a fun place to live/work, good dining, entertainment options. I don't want to drive an hour to work each day but don't want to live in a completely boring cookie cutter superb either. I've spent some time in dunwoody, Alpharetta, vinings, and others but it's been a while. Budget for a home is up to $500k. No kids, just the two of us and a dog. The only nagging thought is that cincinnati is easy living...low cost of living, decent economy, etc. but we feel like Atlanta will offer many more opportunities in addition to great restaurants, bars, live music, etc. we also considered charlotte, but that appears to be even lamer than cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 PM

104 posts, read 234,658 times
Following this thread*

Old 11-22-2015, 09:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
You didn't really provide much info on what your personalities are like.

If you love to go into the city all the time and want to see things like performances and eat at the best restaurants, then I would consider taking a job near Perimeter and living in Brookhaven (I THINK $500k can get you in there...not quite sure).

If you are happy eating at great local restaurants that aren't super trendy and like to do things like go to movies and only need to go into the city every couple of months, then you'll definitely get more for your money in a place like Alpharetta. In that case, take the job up there and live nearby.

In either case, living close to work will have the most meaningful impact on whether you end up loving Atlanta or cursing traffic.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I would recommend taking a look at Brookhaven.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
OP posted in May, 2014.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 AM

104 posts, read 234,658 times
Thank you for the information. My husband is a pharma manager so he will be traveling for work between Nashville and Chicago. Personalities? We enjoy cooking at home and spending time with friends. We won't know a soul so meeting people will be very important. I am a stay at home mom so traveling to work on not a concern. We are in our mid 40s and we are outgoing and progressive.
Traveling to a trendy restaurant is not an issue. My biggist desire is to make friends as my house is going to be pretty empty. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta