Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,816,726 times

Advertisements

Nice. That would be a big win for Buckhead.

As Gulch points out, if you don't want to live in a growing city, Detroit is probably a better fit for you than Atlanta. The solution to traffic is making other transportation alternatives such a transit more accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,816,726 times
2 mile walks for regular shopping are not practical. But that is not needed. Living in Atlanta without a car is becoming an increasingly great and easy lifestyle.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Really?

Why don't you explain to me how to walk or ride a bike 2 miles to Petsmart to get my dog her 28 lb. bag of dog food?

Or how to bring my milk, soda, and meat back from the grocery store on foot or bike?

Especially recently. Where it has rained every afternoon.

Your advice simply is not practical.
Use a grocery cart, or panniers on a bike, or cargo bikes to transport food. You are making it harder than it is, or you are too lazy to accept it is possible. Also, people who do shopping on foot or on bike make more, smaller purchases. There is no need to buy groceries for a whole week, instead if the grocery store is on the my home from transit or alternative commute the shopper can stop every couple days to buy food. That guarantees better freshness.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 269,501 times
Quote:
Really?

Why don't you explain to me how to walk or ride a bike 2 miles to Petsmart to get my dog her 28 lb. bag of dog food?

Or how to bring my milk, soda, and meat back from the grocery store on foot or bike?

Especially recently. Where it has rained every afternoon.

Your advice simply is not practical.
Really? There are multiple grocery delivery services that you could use, Instacart is one. Or Uber would be a $5 ride. Or you can use Chewy to deliver tax free dog food to your doorstep. It's really not as difficult as you make it out to be.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,985,831 times
Quote:
You are making it harder than it is, or you are too lazy to accept it is possible.
Oh, I accept it as possible. But it is also possible to haul 50 pounds 30 miles. That doesn't make it PRACTICAL.

No pannier is going to hold a decent supply of dog food (I take it you don't have a big dog). And the only other solution is to buy smaller bags more frequently, which adds significantly to cost and inconvenience.

That's why nobody in Buckhead does what you are talking about. Or ever will.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Oh, I accept it as possible. But it is also possible to haul 50 pounds 30 miles. That doesn't make it PRACTICAL.

No pannier is going to hold a decent supply of dog food (I take it you don't have a big dog). And the only other solution is to buy smaller bags more frequently, which adds significantly to cost and inconvenience.

That's why nobody in Buckhead does what you are talking about. Or ever will.
First, no one said 30 miles. I said 2 miles, hauling some groceries 2 miles is not too much to ask.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,632,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Different experiences, I guess, but I like that median and feel like it helps a lot.

Traffic in the Lenox area is heavy at rush hour so I just try to avoid peak hours.

The rest of the time you can scoot around up there pretty easily.
I find Atlanta to be fairly easy to "scoot" around outside of rush hour. There are some large metros in the country that are potential traffic nightmares 24-7.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,985,831 times
Quote:
hauling some groceries 2 miles is not too much to ask.
Yes it is.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Not many people will willingly walk even a few miles lugging a 50 lb bag of dog food.

However, I know a number of folks in Buckhead and elsewhere in the city who walk to the grocery store if they're just getting a bag or so. There are tons of condos and apartments and even some single family homes within fairly easy walking distance of shopping.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,211,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Use a grocery cart, or panniers on a bike, or cargo bikes to transport food. You are making it harder than it is, or you are too lazy to accept it is possible. Also, people who do shopping on foot or on bike make more, smaller purchases. There is no need to buy groceries for a whole week, instead if the grocery store is on the my home from transit or alternative commute the shopper can stop every couple days to buy food. That guarantees better freshness.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta