Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:42 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Suwanee is really stepping up with making its downtown charming...
Quote:
The Suwanee Downtown Development Authority has taken initial steps to enter a public-private partnership with developer Terwilliger-Pappas to create a mixed-use multifamily/retail building at Chicago Street and Buford Highway adjacent to Town Center. The proposed $46 million development, on 3.5-acres currently owned by the DDA, is expected to feature a five-story structure with 10,000 square feet of street-level commercial/retail/restaurant space and 235 high-end apartments. The project will also include a parking garage.

Under the terms of the letter of intent, Suwanee’s DDA would receive $600,000 in cash for the property plus ownership of the 10,000 square feet of commercial/retail space. The approximately 3.5-acre property being purchased by Terwilliger-Pappas was acquired by the city over time for $497,000.
Suwanee to extend Town Center area with large mixed-use... | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
A lot of the higher quality, more progressive suburbs are getting much smarter about how they develop and grow.

I'm not saying that it's going to rival intown development, but I don't think it has to. Suburbs like Suwanee are growing in their own ways, but ways that reflect modern sensibilities and make them attractive destinations for a broader group of people.

It could be that someday downtown Suwanee and other downtowns like it are more walkable than all but the heart of midtown. Or maybe not, but the point is, the days of clear cutting trees and erecting stip malls is over for cities that know what they are doing.

In Duluth, we're behind Suwanee. But, the city is getting a lot smarter. Dreamland is going to be an awesome addition, and if you went to the 4th of July firework display, all of the town was wall to wall people. I think it's due to the marketing they did with radio stations, but it's clear they are trying to step up their game. I wouldn't say there's a buzz around downtown Duluth, but things like food truck Fridays seem highly successful and it's a great little area for locals to mingle and relax.

These areas don't have to be midtown or O4W. But when millennials have families of their own, they will be able to settle in areas that have good housing stock, quality schools, without giving up absolutely everything they loved about living intown.

I think it's a winning formula. And I think time will prove me right.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
A lot of the higher quality, more progressive suburbs are getting much smarter about how they develop and grow.

I'm not saying that it's going to rival intown development, but I don't think it has to. Suburbs like Suwanee are growing in their own ways, but ways that reflect modern sensibilities and make them attractive destinations for a broader group of people.
I agree. I think it will at least help attract younger residents. Not everyone wants to live smack dab in the middle of a city, especially if their job is somewhere out in the burbs. My friend just moved to the Rittenhouse Square area of Philly. You can't get a much better location in Philly. He can walk to a myriad of restaurants, bars, high end shopping, the actual square, and he can take the train to a lot of other places including more American history than most states can claim. Still, he's about 50/50 on happiness. It's super busy, all the time. When you do have to drive, it's an absolute pain. It's noisy at all hours with sirens, construction, honking, etc. It's expensive to do just about anything, even if you don't deal with parking.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
It would be awesome one day if MARTA's gold line could be extended to this area.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
Many of the local residents are unhappy about the development and there is a big Facebook drive against it. However, it seems like it's a done deal given the fact that the city government is the driving force behind it.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
There's actually a week long conversation about transportation in Gwinnett county that starts next week.

The Great Exchange on Transportation

Old 08-20-2015, 06:05 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
It would be awesome one day if MARTA's gold line could be extended to this area.
No it wouldn't, HRT is an inappropriate mode for running that far out from Atlanta, this development would be ideal for a Suwanee commuter rail station however.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No it wouldn't, HRT is an inappropriate mode for running that far out from Atlanta, this development would be ideal for a Suwanee commuter rail station however.
Right, rail runs right through the middle of the city, and a station could be easily incoporated into a development. That would be especially useful as a TOD who's revenue goes to supporting the station and rail operation.

A combination of Park-n-Ride and actual apartments / retail / local entertainment / food would do some good work to compliment any other developments the town is considering, while having connection to MARTA at Doraville.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
If you have a high density residential/massive parking garage for commuters/commercial/shopping district it will be the hub of your city for a long time if there is a rail link to Marta.

Think what the stops on Marta have done for Midtown and Buckhead.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times
Yep, these types of developments are part of what will attract or retain young professionals and families. This is written about in detail in the book, The End of the Suburbs. Of course, as it turns out, the suburbs are not ending at all; they are evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta