Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Ha. What a dumb*ss. The era of Atlanta as a majority-black city will be ending any day now. 2009 estimates put it at barely 51%. The media and Hollywood will soon catch on, and when a non-black mayor is elected, it will be the final nail in the coffin. Atlanta's image will be re-cast, with the other racial groups getting the recognition they deserve. Demographics is destiny, so they say. It will be a stretch to compare Atlanta to Harlem when its white percentage is larger than Chicago's.

The black population % within the city proper of ATL is slipping, but I dont see it changing the image of ATL in the foreseeable future.

Let's say ATL's black population % does slip into the 40s.

ATL would still be a top 3 metro for black population in total numbers. It would still be home to the AUC (Morehouse, Spelman, Clark-Atlanta, etc.). It would still have a strong black heritage of the past. It still has more mainstream Hip-Hop and R&B acts than any other city, and just slipping into the 40-49% range in black population wouldnt magically make all these people just disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMichelleNYC View Post
I
I dont know why people are always comparing Atlanta to NYC it is none. Atlanta metro is a great place but it will NEVER be a New York City. To tell you the truth MOST of the original southerners that migrated to the north are not interested in returning back south. Its a lot of the younger generations and the caribean people who knows nothing at all about the south, are relocating there. Hey just keeping it real.
that is real. the younger generation did not experience the same prosperity that their older counterparts did in the north.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
The black population % within the city proper of ATL is slipping, but I dont see it changing the image of ATL in the foreseeable future.

Let's say ATL's black population % does slip into the 40s.

ATL would still be a top 3 metro for black population in total numbers. It would still be home to the AUC (Morehouse, Spelman, Clark-Atlanta, etc.). It would still have a strong black heritage of the past. It still has more mainstream Hip-Hop and R&B acts than any other city, and just slipping into the 40-49% range in black population wouldnt magically make all these people just disappear.
Yeah but im not saying it wont be known for a place with a large black population anymore. My point is that it wont be known exclusively for blacks like it has been in the last decade or so. Chicago is known for its large black population. But its also known for its large Hispanic population, Asian population, etc. I see Atlanta going more in that direction.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1984 View Post
I recently had a conversation with some friends about Atlanta being the new Harlem...not the Harlem of today, but the Renaissance Harlem of the 1920's which was seen as a hotbed and model of African American culture for the whole country. Here's why I think this may be true:
I can see some parallels. The Harlem Renassiaance was of course marked not only by popular music but by its tremendous output of poetry, literature, drama and the many intellectuals it produced.

Who do you think will be the leading figures to emerge from the Atlanta scene?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:29 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Atlanta is the new Atlanta....Harlem is but a section of NY.....Atlanta is the city....

I see the comparison but Atlanta is much larger.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 AM

106 posts, read 232,304 times
I'm happy to say, everything comparing Harlem's golden-era to Atlanta is very spot-on.. As a young person in the entertainment business here, we are really taking over... Myself and others in the creative community are pushing the arts here big time, and I see more and more diversity and respect coming to us.. We actually have a place to broadcast and stand up here.
We are most definately part of a certain revolution here, I'm not sure exactly what yet, but I see it happening.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
I'm happy to say, everything comparing Harlem's golden-era to Atlanta is very spot-on.. As a young person in the entertainment business here, we are really taking over... Myself and others in the creative community are pushing the arts here big time, and I see more and more diversity and respect coming to us.. We actually have a place to broadcast and stand up here.
We are most definately part of a certain revolution here, I'm not sure exactly what yet, but I see it happening.
I like your spirit/drive...keep it up.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 AM

88 posts, read 198,881 times
Default so glad I moved

I moved a few weeks ago and have checked back into this forum a few times since then. They should start a thread called "are blacks more racist than whites in Atlanta". This is crazy how every single thread constantly...inevitably moves toward a racial undertone. I think Atlanta is a fantastic place for business and that is about it. Aside from business and figuring out where you should eat there is very little going on in Atlanta. I lived in Virginia Highland before I left and I loved the neighborhood. Despite the fact that there were seven armed robberies in seven weeks in a five block radius (not including smash and grabs for atm machines, car break ins etc). This is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city!

Anyway, I know its not going to change anytime soon. I just never felt at home in the city. Anyone who is considering a move to ATL be prepared for a very big culture shock. I left because I could not see myself raising children there. Its not the worst place on earth by any means. Some of the people I met were fantastic (ugghh I feel like I need to say both black and white which is true)

However,They can't or wont invest in the infrastructure of the city. The basic things that make a place livable. Piedmont park is great but thats about it. One actually usable park in the city of five million! The rest you could be mugged at during the day...I am not kidding.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
I moved a few weeks ago and have checked back into this forum a few times since then. They should start a thread called "are blacks more racist than whites in Atlanta". This is crazy how every single thread constantly...inevitably moves toward a racial undertone. .
Who moves it there?

Your POV doesn't even fit with the topic of this thread so why post in it? To stir up ****?

Atlanta isn't a city of 5 million. Even so, the City of Atlanta and the metro area counties have numerous, safe parks. Cobb and Gwinnett have wonderful county park systems.

Last edited by PKCorey; 11-28-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
However,They can't or wont invest in the infrastructure of the city. The basic things that make a place livable. Piedmont park is great but thats about it. One actually usable park in the city of five million! The rest you could be mugged at during the day...I am not kidding.
Oh, come on, that's not true at all. The city of Atlanta has several excellent and safe parks and there are zillions more in the suburbs. Gwinnett is rated tops in the nation in the Class I (population 250,000-up) category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta