Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times

Advertisements

To really get an accurate look at violent home invasions we'd have to compare apples to apples.

As ATLTJL said earlier, a lot of our feelings about crime are based on perception, regardless of what the actual data may show. I know I'm subject to that myself. It seems like everytime I pick up the paper there's some terrible new crime in the suburbs, but then I have to remember I'm looking at it as an intowner. Things like that are pretty rare around here and if they do happen the locals tend to go ballistic.

We know a number of people who live in some of the areas that might be termed "edgier." What I've heard from them is that they've had issues with petty theft and cars being broken into. And I know one fellow who got burglarized twice down on the south side of East Atlanta. The first time was right after he moved in. A few days later they came back and he was sitting there with his large dog and a self-actuated home protection device. He requested that they leave and has not further problems.

On the whole these folks have stayed the course and been satisfied with their decision. Maybe some of the intowners on this board can tell us whether they've experienced issues with violent home invasions in their neighborhoods. I don't recall reading about them but maybe that is just my faulty memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 03:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Well there's probably no more than 1 million living inside 285 (and that's a generous estimate of what's considered intown - Vinings is ITP but it's not really intown like say Decatur) leaving 4-5 times the population of metro Atlanta being in the burbs. 4 times the amount of people, 4 times the amount of news. Obviously a little more complicated than that when you through in commuting but we obviously don't care about numbers here.

And while we're on this anecdotal kick, in the 17 years my family has lived in the northern Snellville area, we've never been victims of crime. 4 humans, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 7 goldfish and 2 beta fish. Nothing. Therefore my neighborhood is the safest with no recorded crime against me or my family. I'm excluding one case of theft. My coworker stole my bottle of Dr Pepper out of the fridge at work. But it was in Sandy Springs so it was remote.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Two beta fish! That is is impressive! Those things often get into gangs and are fierce fighters.

We had one issue where during the day time hours someone stole stuff from our garage, which we had always left open, and the same happened to a few other houses.

What impressed us was the Gwinnett County PD called us and asked us to check our garage within hours of it happening and we hadn't even noticed. Turns out a pawn shop got suspicious, called the police after turning the guy away, and they caught him at another pawn shop down the road.

There was another issue where our neighbor arrived home as her home was getting robbed. It ended up being a scary experience, because they were parked on her driveway that was downhill and behind some bushes. She started to turn in not seeing them and they overreacted trying to get away fearing they would be blocked in.

We noticed the problem started picking up as the area aged, not from any changing demographics, but because the area was so quiet and dead during the day. It was a neighborhood right off of Killian Hill Rd. We always felt it didn't help us to have so many people driving through that NW-SE route through the area, as it was one of the few ways continuous ways through that area.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
They were my sister's fish from college! She brought them back carefully!

Ah, the old swoop in the open garage. That happened in our neighborhood once a few years ago. Haven't heard about it since. Other than that I think the most intense thing that happened was someone threw all the lawn chairs into the pool. Yea. Really hardened criminal stuff.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But you know, I really shouldn't have to explain this. If anyone would really argue that Reynoldstown or Capitol View are as safe as Alpharetta or Johns Creek, I just don't even know what to say. Have some common sense.
I haven't heard anyone making that argument.

But acknowledging that is still a long way from the proposition that everybody intown is on the brink of bolting to Alpharetta because of crime fears.

People understand that in today's world the notion of safe suburban cocoons is an illusion. Poverty and drugs are no longer confined to inner cities, and bad guys can be anywhere in 30 minutes or so. That means violent home invasions can occur in even the most sedate burbs, and in fact they do with not inconsiderable frequency.

Likewise, most people who settle in transitioning neighborhoods know the score. I don't see any evidence that they are hitting the panic button. If anything, the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest the contrary.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:10 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,751,858 times
The fact is, these studies don't show how separated races are in these counties.

If you really don't want to get data raped, just look at who lives where. They're all clustered in Georgia. Black people live near black people, Asians live near Asian people, and white people live near white people. Just take out the apartments all together.

If anything, Kennesaw is the more diversely peaceful neighborhood than any of the larger cities in Georgia.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
The fact is, these studies don't show how separated races are in these counties.

If you really don't want to get data raped, just look at who lives where. They're all clustered in Georgia. Black people live near black people, Asians live near Asian people, and white people live near white people. Just take out the apartments all together.

If anything, Kennesaw is the more diversely peaceful neighborhood than any of the larger cities in Georgia.
This is confusing.

These studies or well thematic maps are actually specifically showing where races are more separated and where they are not, so I'm a bit confused by this premise.

I'm also a bit confused by "these counties." Which counties? all counties? Why not say this region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta