Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
You started with the personal jabs and even stated that you have no interest in viewpoints counter to your own.
NO, I stated I have no need to travel to other parts of the metro. Everything I need can be found intown. I have been to Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb so I do have experience I just don't go to those places for recreation or if I can help it. I prefer to live my lifestyle where I use transit and those places listed do not offer reliable transit.
I never once took a personal jab at you, like you did to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Agree with most of your post, but...

I'm sitting here in East Cobb and I can't think of ONE gated community in this area. Not one.

Oh, and I'll add a personal anecdote to help illustrate the "diversity" I experience everyday in East Cobb: my house sits on a street with 5 other houses. Together those 7 houses have approximately 15 adults. Of those 17 adults, 6 are Indian, 3 are Hispanic, 3 are White, 2 are Asian, 1 is Black. Yet the "all white, conservative Republican" East Cobb stereotype comes up again and again on these message boards. Rather baffling to me.
Yep. It's not your Grandpa's Cobb anymore.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Probably.

Alpharetta is simply the metaphor I use for ultra safe feeling suburb...it could be Johns Creek, Buford, Canton, whatever.
Well, the problem is, all those "ultra safe" suburbs have their home invasions, too.

See, for example:

Johns Creek Woman Attacked in Home Invasion | Johns Creek, GA Patch

Victim Kidnapped During Roswell Home Invasion | Roswell, GA Patch

Alpharetta police investigating violent home invasion | www.ajc.com

Victim in violent Woodstock home invasion speaks out - CBS46 News

Man killed in Duluth home invasion Identified - CBS46 News

Last edited by arjay57; 08-26-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I think CD offers a good mix of ideas and a medium where we can exchange our ideas. You just need to stop on the personal attacks, I have not come directly at you about anything, so I ask you do the same.
CQ!!!!

If you're going to say things like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If there are people like you out there, I prefer to stay in my blue dot.
You should not have such thin skin and consider this a personal attack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Yeah, well, then, you might want to stay off this board then, too.
You did attack her personally first, if these are personal attacks. You were being unfair/incorrect about other parts of the region and that is what she was griping about when you personally attacked her.

Additionally, I can easily take her statement to mean.... you better stay off these boards, because she isn't leaving referring that you directly expressed you wanted to stay away from her.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM

Absolutely.

And they aren't fluidly the same across the whole region either. Sedminjerry brought up a good point how they moved from an area near Jimmy Carter/Singleton in the Meadowcreek area toward Snelleville in the Brookwood area.

Overall the county is able to keep lower per capita crime rates, than its suburban counterparts in Dekalb.

Crime is less than intown areas too, but I also feel crime rate statistics need to be calculated differently for actual activity centers.

They need to include whether the crime was against a resident of that area or someone who is visiting/commuting into the area and then divide the respective populations of each separately.

One issue Downtown has is for an urban environment the population is actually very low, but the daytime population is very high (compared to more northern cities that can keep more of the population directly around the core). This has a negative impact on crime rates as you have more potential crime victims and less population.

So while I agree in-town crime is higher, they also have a mathematical disadvantage that needs to be addressed.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I don't disagree with your points, and I think I admitted as much before you even made them.

That's why I said move to an area that FEELS safer, not one that IS safer.

All of the points are good, logical ones. BUT, after you've been violated -- whatever that is for you, having your home broken into, being held up at gunpoint, whatever -- you begin to make EMOTIONAL decisions.

Are there people who have their homes broken into and shrug it off, saying "eh, could happen anywhere"? Of course there are.

What I'm saying is many people no longer feel comfortable in these areas after something like that happens. It's a purely emotional response, just like some people move to whole new cities and take new jobs after a nasty break-up, they need to start over. There's no LOGICAL reason they need to do this, it's based on feeling.

Same thing for crime. Many people, after becoming victims of crime, will flee to areas that feel safer after they have lost a feeling of safety where they are. Some people do it after being a victim once. Some people get worn down over time and eventually give up. Some people never leave. And luckily, a lot of people are never victims at all.

My original statement, Everybody is one home invasion away from moving to Alpharetta, is a metaphor.

Most people start to consider options if they feel violated. If their kids come home from school beaten up, they start to think about changing schools. All I'm trying to say is that there comes a time -- and that time is different for everybody -- where the balance can shift and the true tradeoffs that have been made to live closer to work, bars, public transit, or whatever, emerge and it has to be decided whether those tradeoffs continue to be worth it.

And of course, the reverse is also true. Every day, people who move to bigger houses with better schools have to decide if their tradeoffs continue to be worth it. So you could make the counterpoint that "Everybody is one overturned tractor trailer traffic jam away from house hunting in Kirkwood."

Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with your points, and I think I admitted as much before you even made them.

That's why I said move to an area that FEELS safer, not one that IS safer.

All of the points are good, logical ones. BUT, after you've been violated -- whatever that is for you, having your home broken into, being held up at gunpoint, whatever -- you begin to make EMOTIONAL decisions.

Are there people who have their homes broken into and shrug it off, saying "eh, could happen anywhere"? Of course there are.

What I'm saying is many people no longer feel comfortable in these areas after something like that happens. It's a purely emotional response, just like some people move to whole new cities and take new jobs after a nasty break-up, they need to start over. There's no LOGICAL reason they need to do this, it's based on feeling.

Same thing for crime. Many people, after becoming victims of crime, will flee to areas that feel safer after they have lost a feeling of safety where they are. Some people do it after being a victim once. Some people get worn down over time and eventually give up. Some people never leave. And luckily, a lot of people are never victims at all.

My original statement, Everybody is one home invasion away from moving to Alpharetta, is a metaphor.

Most people start to consider options if they feel violated. If their kids come home from school beaten up, they start to think about changing schools. All I'm trying to say is that there comes a time -- and that time is different for everybody -- where the balance can shift and the true tradeoffs that have been made to live closer to work, bars, public transit, or whatever, emerge and it has to be decided whether those tradeoffs continue to be worth it.

And of course, the reverse is also true. Every day, people who move to bigger houses with better schools have to decide if their tradeoffs continue to be worth it. So you could make the counterpoint that "Everybody is one overturned tractor trailer traffic jam away from house hunting in Kirkwood."
On the lighter side of "many people no longer feel comfortable in these areas after something like that happens..."
When we lived in the Clarkston side of Stone Mountain in the 200X’s, we had an African American neighbor who decided to move his family to Lilburn for the better schools, and probably safety, too. Not long after moving, he came back to visit, and he told us about his first morning in his predominantly white neighborhood--- So, he walks out to his car and he sees someone has smashed his mailbox. He says his first thought was “racist *****! I’ve made a mistake.” But, then he looks at his neighbors mailbox, and it’s smashed too, and then looks further up the street, and every mailbox is smashed. When he saw that, he said that he just started laughing, thinking “OK, I can do this.”

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
On the lighter side of "many people no longer feel comfortable in these areas after something like that happens..."
When we lived in the Clarkston side of Stone Mountain in the 200X’s, we had an African American neighbor who decided to move his family to Lilburn for the better schools, and probably safety, too. Not long after moving, he came back to visit, and he told us about his first morning in his predominantly white neighborhood--- So, he walks out to his car and he sees someone has smashed his mailbox. He says his first thought was “racist *****! I’ve made a mistake.” But, then he looks at his neighbors mailbox, and it’s smashed too, and then looks further up the street, and every mailbox is smashed. When he saw that, he said that he just started laughing, thinking “OK, I can do this.”
lol

Random vandalism from bored people drives me crazy.

I had the mailbox smashing problem when I was in Athens.

One problem we had at my parents old house in Lilburn was a group of young twenty-something and older teen guys drove around in a truck smashing mailboxes, but they also hit the windows of parked cars. One of them was my parents old minivan they were trying to sell at the time. They had just bought a new one, which was parked in the garage.

Their van was one of the worst ones hit, because they knocked out 3 side windows, the rear window, and the front windshield instead of just 1 or 2 windows as they quickly passed by.

Well they got caught. They had done this to 7 or 8 other cars in the area in the same night. Several of them were small enough damage they were considered misdemeanors, but the monetary value of damage to the can and a few other cars made them several counts of 2nd degree vandalism, a felony.

If they had kept it under $500 damage/car their punishments would have been lighter as a misdemeanor 3rd degree vanadalism, rather it was 2nd degree felony vandalism.

Now for us the irony is the insurance company ended up giving us slightly more than we were trying to sell the van for. It was really old, so the damage actually totaled the van. In an odd way we came out slightly ahead. We were still angry about it, but at least it wasn't a total loss for us.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
a group of young twenty-something and older teen guys
This is pathetic for anybody, but even sadder for people this old, who should really know better.

When I was a teen, we got into plenty of trouble. But we tried to keep harm to a minimum.

Our favorite thing to do was to write on car windows with Santa Snow (that fake snow you spray on windows during Christmas to look like snow). At first glance, it looks like someone totally spray painted your car, but any car wash takes it right off.

Real property destruction is something else entirely. And it's risky....a lot of people get so angry they don't think. They'll come out with a gun and shoot you.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Our favorite thing to do was to write on car windows with Santa Snow (that fake snow you spray on windows during Christmas to look like snow). At first glance, it looks like someone totally spray painted your car, but any car wash takes it right off. .
IT WAS YOOOOOU!!!!

J/K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta