Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

Hi,I wanted to share that me and my husband are planning to moving there, we actually live in Dominican Republic, but we born in USA,my English i'ts not perfect, but i can learn fast, because in my country we speak Spanish, but my husband knows 100% English and i'm like 80%, we both are professionals and i want to ask some questions about Atlanta in general and the best places to live:

What chance do we have to get a good job and in average how much can we earn,how racist are the people over there?, i have a Hispanic appearance (No white, No black), and my husband is White, is that relevant in that country?, we heard about racism in USA and we are a little concern, how friendly are the people over there?, we don't know anyone there, we are 27 years old, and we have the possibility of moving there with our savings, we want to move because our country is getting every day worse, and we don't have the possibility of make money to live better, than we want to... what kind of city's do you recommend and what are the good things of living in Atlanta and what are the bad ones, about weather, people of our age.
We don't really go out that much like we are not night style type people.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
What is your education and job experience thus far?
I think you'll find it easy to assimilate here and most any large American city these days.
BTW, judging from your post your English sounds pretty good to me.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,824 times
Hi Sir,

Thanks for replying my post,

We have more than 5 years working in accounting areas like international account payable,we both have a master and my husband in management and international purchasing departments, also we travel frequently to the United States.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:05 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther HG View Post
Hi Sir,

Thanks for replying my post,

We have more than 5 years working in accounting areas like international account payable,we both have a master and my husband in management and international purchasing departments, also we travel frequently to the United States.
Well, I see no problem with a move to Atlanta whatsoever. Secure your job and then we can talk about a relocation plan. Best of luck to you!
BTW, in my case it's "Ma'am".

Old 11-19-2017, 12:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,680 times
Atlanta would be a great city! Racism is everywhere but to be honest I haven't experienced too much. It's not as bad as people say in the Southeast. Atlanta is very diverse! There's a sizable Dominican population all over the metro area but I see majority in Gwinnett (Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Peach tree corners area) and Marietta area (Cobb). Economy is good here so there shouldn't be an issue finding a job esp since your husband is bilingual.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther HG View Post
Hi,I wanted to share that me and my husband are planning to moving there, we actually live in Dominican Republic, but we born in USA,my English i'ts not perfect, but i can learn fast, because in my country we speak Spanish, but my husband knows 100% English and i'm like 80%, we both are professionals and i want to ask some questions about Atlanta in general and the best places to live:

What chance do we have to get a good job and in average how much can we earn,how racist are the people over there?, i have a Hispanic appearance (No white, No black), and my husband is White, is that relevant in that country?, we heard about racism in USA and we are a little concern, how friendly are the people over there?, we don't know anyone there, we are 27 years old, and we have the possibility of moving there with our savings, we want to move because our country is getting every day worse, and we don't have the possibility of make money to live better, than we want to... what kind of city's do you recommend and what are the good things of living in Atlanta and what are the bad ones, about weather, people of our age.
We don't really go out that much like we are not night style type people.

Thanks for the help!
I'm curious, and I'm not trying to discourage you from coming to Atlanta, but have you looked at cities like Orlando, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa? They're very accommodating to Latin backgrounds for both work, living (activities) and opportunities. Not saying Atlanta doesn't, but many friends/colleagues of Latin backgrounds tend to gravitate to those cities in the South. Just food for thought. And many that have tried Metro Atlanta tend to not care for it much, or downright not like it.

Usually not due to racist issues, just cultural issues. Most end up in Florida in the cities I mentioned below. Many have tried Atlanta/GA and gone back to South or Central Florida. South Florida seems to be the "it" place when it comes to Hispanic professionals and business opportunities.

Miami has a great presence in Centrail and South America when it comes to sales/int'l banking and export. Why not look there? Hope this helps you some. Best of luck.

I thought DR was doing good with recent construction, tourism and real estate. Why leave it?

Oh, also . Look into Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth, or Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta