Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 05:51 AM

15 posts, read 15,623 times

Advertisements

Hello,

African American family with middle and high schoolers and dog looking to relocate to the Atlanta area OTP, renters, at $1500/mo. max. Did not make it this past summer due to not having enough time to check out so many different areas. We got a bit intimidated but want to try again. Thinking to do things differently by having more time to look for a place to move to. Great work skills and savings. Willing to do temporary work until permanent job. Goal is to locate housing in area with pretty good schools, safe and family friendly community, and church. We commute now 1 1/2 hours some commuting is ok, 45 min max. Will take evening class twice a week in Midtown. Looking to work possibly in City of Atlanta or close by.

We currently live in Maryland town of about $16K people that is 54% Caucasian, 24% African American, 11% Hispanic, 8% Other and live together with no race type issues. Pretty safe to walk around during day and night. Children come outside to play in many areas of our town.

Do you know of any extended stay hotels, paying weekly or monthly, in safe area? Do you have any other housing suggestions or any advice? ITP or OTP.

Do you know of any towns or cities that you could recommend we look at that has things to do close by for kids - after school and or weekend activities, summer camps, etc?

Someone mentioned Mills Creek. I think it is in Buford area. Seems a bit far from Atlanta, ITP, but I could be wrong.

We welcome any advice and suggestions.

Thanks,
ShepherdsSheep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 19,612 times
I'd recommend Cobb County. North Fulton is going to be too expensive for your budget and Gwinnett is nice but i prefer Cobb because of Cumberland and KSU. There are Extended Stay America hotels in Kennesaw, Cumberland, and Vinings if you'll google them. Crime is pretty low, the schools are good, and i am African American and i've never had a problem there. In fact, i've noticed A LOT of interracial dating among the younger generation when i lived there.

Last edited by ihatecolumbusga; 11-19-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta