U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 AM

5,559 posts, read 3,628,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I can't believe the railroads haven't at least double tracked everything in the NW corridor. Railroads have a lot of power.
That's what bugs me too. The railroads will say they can't carry extra trains, yet they haven't double tracked the corridor, or approached the state to help with that. Helping the freight companies increase track volume might be the only thing the State could get behind in terms of transit in the metro, considering it's helping out a private company for economic development, which is needed anyway.

North Carolina did / is doing something similar for their trains, why can't we?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 PM

165 posts, read 145,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Ouch! I don't see it because I don't see it.

I didn't say racism doesn't exist in Cobb. And I didn't say racism hasn't been a factor in Cobb's long history of rejecting MARTA. I AM saying that currently, today in 2015 I do NOT think racism is factor in Cobb's lingering reluctance to join MARTA. There aren't enough racists left to make a bit of difference. Have you been to Cobb recently? It's incredibly diverse with regards to race, ethnicities, incomes, education, etc. Cobb is a far cry from the lily-white enclave of good ol' boys and ladies fanning themselves on the front porch that posters here on CD so desperately want it to be. Y'all need to start looking for a new boogie man.
Thank you for logic, reasoning and reality. I swear the cult-like ramblings in some of these comments are unnerving. As a product of Black flight (yes, "Black" flight existed) I've had the pleasure and growing up and living and working in with my fellow diverse and well-to-do "Cobbians". The legacy of good ol' boy politics and southern belle xenophobia is going the way of the dinosaur. We are more concerned with policies, taxes and budgets than the color of someone's skin.

That said, I still do believe in the benefit of mass transit and I would like to see the possibility of the MARTA law changed for rail to enter CIDs via referenda than whole counties. I think we in South Cobb are a little more willing to consider rail.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM

6,760 posts, read 5,097,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Good map, thanks for posting.

I wish that the northwest line through Marietta could be used for commuter rail. I could easily walk to the station. Unfortunately, this map makes visually clear what I already know to be the case : that line already carries an enormous amount of traffic. I hear the trains all the time, sometimes multiple times per hour. I live just far enough from the crossings that the sound of the horn is mostly soothing rather than jarring.

One could probably squeeze a passenger train or two per hour onto that line, if CSX wanted to play ball, but more frequency would probably be necessary to make the service commercially viable. Additionally, they'd have to find a way to implement double-tracking in Vinings and elsewhere. I frequently see trains along Atlanta Road pulled over on one of the two tracks along that stretch, presumably waiting for the single-tracked stretch in Vinings to clear. There's not much right of way for them to play with near the Vinings crossing, but perhaps it could be done. Pulling passenger trains over to the side to wait for that section to clear would probably doom the service commercially.

Let's hope they eventually find a way to make it work.
CSX's own traffic study from a few years ago listed that corridor as having surplus capacity in its existing state. If CSX whines that they don't have the capacity for passenger service after upgrading to double track the full length, then they're lying through their teeth.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 AM

1,259 posts, read 999,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
CSX's own traffic study from a few years ago listed that corridor as having surplus capacity in its existing state. If CSX whines that they don't have the capacity for passenger service after upgrading to double track the full length, then they're lying through their teeth.
Matt, I would be very interested to see that study. Many people have referenced it on here but no one has ever posted it, as far as I know.

What I do know is that I typically hear at least three trains per hour, which aligns pretty closely with the map that cq posted and also, to the layman, seems like a pretty heavy level of traffic, especially considering that a few miles through Vinings are single-tracked.

I would certainly love to learn that there truly is enough capacity to add passenger service on this line, but living as close to it as I have for nearly two decades in both Vinings/Smyrna and now Marietta, it would be a pleasant surprise.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:04 PM

8,434 posts, read 7,770,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
What will be Suburban Metro Atlanta's Rail Choice be, especially the North Metro Counties of Cobb and Gwinnett as the Metro Area gets more and more Congested by the Day and a Push for Rail is always a Topic of Discusion for relief... A lot of Suburban Counties like Cobb push back on HRT due to it's inner City back ground and relations to inner city Marta, so they refuse it. The Southern Metro County of Clayton is in debate with Norfork Southern as to which will be the best route or type of rail to use or is BRT the best option but leaning Commuter rail. All in all HRT provided by Marta just makes the most sense due to the infrastructure is already there. Which way will they really lean in the end
For the time being, the passenger rail transit mode of choice in outlying post-suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett (and even new MARTA member Clayton) will most likely continue to be nothing because the money to build and operate rail transit in those areas currently does not exist at either the local, state or federal levels of government.

For the time being, the transit mode of choice to be expanded in outlying post-suburban counties will be GRTA Xpress commuter bus service in Cobb and Gwinnett and MARTA bus service in Clayton.

With current populations of over 730,000 people in Cobb and nearly 900,000 in Gwinnett and with massive population growth (and urbanization and congestion) continuing in those post-suburban counties on increasingly severely limited road networks, high-capacity passenger rail transit service (probably a robust combination of both Heavy Rail Transit and commuter rail service) will eventually operate in Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton counties but is still many years away at this point.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,907,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
For the time being, the passenger rail transit mode of choice in outlying post-suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett (and even new MARTA member Clayton) will most likely continue to be nothing because the money to build and operate rail transit in those areas currently does not exist at either the local, state or federal levels of government.

For the time being, the transit mode of choice to be expanded in outlying post-suburban counties will be GRTA Xpress commuter bus service in Cobb and Gwinnett and MARTA bus service in Clayton.

With current populations of over 730,000 people in Cobb and nearly 900,000 in Gwinnett and with massive population growth (and urbanization and congestion) continuing in those post-suburban counties on increasingly severely limited road networks, high-capacity passenger rail transit service (probably a robust combination of both Heavy Rail Transit and commuter rail service) will eventually operate in Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton counties but is still many years away at this point.
It may be years away but Clayton will more than likely see rail way before Cobb or Gwinnett being it's in the Marta agreement and Clayton is paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta