Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 10,837 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to either Delaware or Fayetteville Ga or Duluth Ga. I am a 50ish african-american sister and I presently reside in NJ, but had lived in Lithonia Ga for 2 years before coming back home to NJ 10 years ago. I guess I was not completely ready for the change at that time. However, I am totally ready now, as I will be retiring in the next few years and know I cannot afford NJ at that time. I am in education and have been presently teaching for 16 years. I have been applying for jobs in both Fayette County and Qwinnette County. I know I probably stand a better chance on getting a job down there during their Job Fairs in the spring, at which time I will gladly fly down to attend. If I am able to get a job within the next year or so then I will move, however, if not I will wait it out here in NJ until I retire then move. I am ready to get out of the classroom and go into a leadership position, I had 25 years prior working in the corporate world. I have been applying for leadership positions both in NJ and Ga; if I get a leadership position here in NJ, I will stay until I retire, however, if I can get a leadership position in GA, then I will immediately leave NJ. I also have family in Ga: a son in Conyers, a brother in Atlanta, and a sister in Ellenwood; I have none in Delaware.

In the meantime, I would like to learn more about Fayetteville and Duluth Ga, and also McDonough Ga. I like to live in a diverse neighborhood that is clean, safe, easy access to highways. The type of neighborhood that I am accustomed to is suburb/city feel. One that has the following near or somewhat near by: major supermarket (perhaps Publix), pharmacy (perhaps Walgreens), retaurants (incl fast food chains), mall or major dept stores (Target, Walmart, etc), and even has Social Services nearby. However, I do not want to live in or near a major crime area, home invasions, muggings, carjacking, etc. I would like my home and the businesses I go to be in a nice, clean, and crime free area. Which one of these areas fit the bill you think? Perhaps you may know of another area that also may be good too? Are there any 55+ communities? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:14 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Lithonia is more centrally located to Ellenwood, Atlanta, and Conyers. I don't know enough about those areas to comment on the other aspects.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,454 times
Fayetteville is boring, IMO. A lot of the locals don't seem particularly welcoming to newcomers. I lived there for a bit but am much happier on the north side.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Lithonia is more centrally located to Ellenwood, Atlanta, and Conyers. I don't know enough about those areas to comment on the other aspects.
Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Thank you

Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
I have noticed that many people from NJ prefer the suburbs (just an observation).

I think you might prefer Duluth over Fayetteville if only because Duluth is more diverse. My brother lives in Fayetteville, and I find it has more of a rural than suburban feel. Also, Duluth is more affluent so you'd have a better chance of getting a higher paying position in the area. All that said, Gwinnett County is not really my thing, but you could consider other cities there like Lawrenceville, Suwanee, etc.

Cobb County is pretty diverse as well and relatively safe. Kennesaw is exceptionally safe, but it's definitely more geared toward families. Marietta has an older population (not saying 55 is old lol), but you might like it there in the neighborhoods near the square.

As I am sure you are aware since you lived here before, you need to find out where you'll be working first. Nothing about any community can make you happy if it takes you two or more hours to get to and from it every day;.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I have noticed that many people from NJ prefer the suburbs (just an observation).

I think you might prefer Duluth over Fayetteville if only because Duluth is more diverse. My brother lives in Fayetteville, and I find it has more of a rural than suburban feel. Also, Duluth is more affluent so you'd have a better chance of getting a higher paying position in the area. All that said, Gwinnett County is not really my thing, but you could consider other cities there like Lawrenceville, Suwanee, etc.

Cobb County is pretty diverse as well and relatively safe. Kennesaw is exceptionally safe, but it's definitely more geared toward families. Marietta has an older population (not saying 55 is old lol), but you might like it there in the neighborhoods near the square.

As I am sure you are aware since you lived here before, you need to find out where you'll be working first. Nothing about any community can make you happy if it takes you two or more hours to get to and from it every day;.
Thank so much for the info, it really helps.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:28 AM

What is the best and safest city in Prince George County, MD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta