Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think it is being passed off as something chic, something "hip". Nothing hip about paying $1200/month to live in a space barely the size of a kid's bedroom.
RIGHT!!! Good luck to those selling that idea. The smallest space I have ever been in was a hotel room in NYC. Something was malfunctioning with the tv and I swear my friend didn't even have to get out the bed to open the door when the people came to fix it; he used his foot. I'm not clastrophobic, but good gracious 400 SF is too small to have to live in every day unless you're getting one heck of a deal. You'd barely have room for a hot plate and a mini fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
RIGHT!!! Good luck to those selling that idea. The smallest space I have ever been in was a hotel room in NYC. Something was malfunctioning with the tv and I swear my friend didn't even have to get out the bed to open the door when the people came to fix it; he used his foot. I'm not clastrophobic, but good gracious 400 SF is too small to have to live in every day unless you're getting one heck of a deal. You'd barely have room for a hot plate and a mini fridge.
The floorpan they showed has a full 4-burner stove, full fridge, double sink, etc. But that's about all it is. With good space planning, 400 square feet is quite easy to live in. I'd be fine with it. Hell, IKEA has a 270 square foot apartment in their store, and I could almost be happy in it, except that the bed is lofted.

But with a wife and kid...I'm dying in 1300 square feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta getting its first ‘micro’ apartments-microfloorplan.jpg  

Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
I think the price is all relative. If 1-beds or larger studios are renting for $1700 intown, and amenities are apples to apples, then I would pay $1100 for a micro-unit. It gives people who can't afford the raising rents another option. Sure, $1100 seems like a lot, but remember that 1-beds in that same development are renting for over $1600/month. Personally, I like urban life and wouldn't move to the suburbs just because I could get a bigger apartment for less money. That said, if a micro-unit is $1100 and I could find a unit to rent intown that is larger for the same price, I'd go with the larger unit.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think the price is all relative. If 1-beds or larger studios are renting for $1700 intown, and amenities are apples to apples, then I would pay $1100 for a micro-unit. It gives people who can't afford the raising rents another option. Sure, $1100 seems like a lot, but remember that 1-beds in that same development are renting for over $1600/month. Personally, I like urban life and wouldn't move to the suburbs just because I could get a bigger apartment for less money. That said, if a micro-unit is $1100 and I could find a unit to rent intown that is larger for the same price, I'd go with the larger unit.
But, they aren't. You can find numerous brand-new studio and even 1-bedroom apartments in town, or no further out than emory (West Midtown, Collier, Howell Mill, etc), for $1,100 or $1,200-$1,300, in amenity-packed buildings. if they designed their space better, maybe...but not in the current state.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
390 sq feet for 1100 a month? There's no way in hell.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:51 AM

28 posts, read 35,454 times
Even though the building is incomplete they've started renting out units. My friend pays about 1100 total for 430 sq ft. It seems like the apartments are moving pretty quick. I feel like ITP's apartment supply shortage is worse than people realize.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
But, they aren't. You can find numerous brand-new studio and even 1-bedroom apartments in town, or no further out than emory (West Midtown, Collier, Howell Mill, etc), for $1,100 or $1,200-$1,300, in amenity-packed buildings. if they designed their space better, maybe...but not in the current state.
But that building specifically is pretty expensive - 778 sqft 1 beds are renting for $1668/month.

Gables Emory Point Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 855 Emory Point Drive, Atlanta, GA. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

There aren't many new apartments in the Emory area at all that are within walking or biking distance. These buildings are directly across the street, have restaurants/retail below, and the CDC is also across the street. I can imagine that there are people willing to pay these prices to be this close to Emory. Actually, I don't have to imagine, since the apartments there are scooped up extremely quick. This gives people who can't afford $1600 for an apartment another, cheaper option. I didn't say I would pay that to be close to Emory, but I don't ever need to be in the Emory area. If I worked there, and didn't want to have to drive in the horrendous traffic that is Clifton Rd, I would most likely pay the price it costs to be in this building - and since I'm not adverse to small spaces, I'd pay the lesser (but still pricey) price of a micro-studio to save some money. Like I said - it's relative. People like different things - I would pay a premium to not have to drive/sit in traffic to get to work. Some people like a larger space and don't mind sitting in traffic. To each his own - but these apartments are catering to those like me who loathe traffic but can't pay over $1600/month for an apartment. That said, I think the designs need to be better. If you're going to live in a 300-600 sq ft space, that space needs to be used as efficiently as possible.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
That had to be very tiny. I've had college dorm bedrooms bigger than that. I'm wondering what the going rate for that room was.

For me, 400 sq ft is not the issue. I can live with small space. It the cost/sq foot that bothers me. A studio apartment in Smyrna costs less than that(when you can find it) and it comes bigger. If I were to pay $1000/month for a micro, it better come with ALL of the utilities, internet, water, AC, heat, electricity, and it better work. That's alot of money to pay to live alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: