Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It won't be any bigger issue than it would be in Boston.

However, Alpharetta is about as far north as I would go. Even though I don't think you would face any discrimination in Cumming, it gets less diverse fast. Just this past weekend, we ventured up to Norman's Landing, which is a restaurant maybe 3 or 4 miles north of Alpharetta, and my wife remarked, "this restaurant is nothing but white people."

I'd keep it south of exit 12 on GA 400 just to be safe, but Alpharetta would be fine.
What's wrong with white people? Imagine your response of I took a sandwich off bouldercrest and remarked, "this restaurant is nothing but black people". Is this considered racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Alpharetta is conservative if you're asking if the majority of people are Republican. Now, that doesn't mean the population is not diverse in that most people transplants.

I think what you're trying to ask in a PC way is if they are prejudiced. I'd say no to that as well because at least in action if not in thought they try to act PC.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseen82 View Post
We currently live in SF Bay area and have lived in Boston before. Both Boston and Bay area are heavily liberal areas. We re considering moving to Alpharetta because we have heard great things about the area and standard of living and also because Bay Area is getting way too expensive.

We are practicing muslims (not crazy type, but good ones ) and we have never had any issues living in Boston or Bay Area. Could someone please tell me if we are going to have a culture shock if we move to Alpharetta? will being muslims be a issue in a relatively conservative society there? Will we face any discrimination?

Thanks
Yes, you will have culture shock. There are few places that compare to the Bay in the south and even though you will find a lot of transplants in the metro area, most people here haven't lived in a place with the diversity you can find in CA. What made you choose Alpharetta? I’m not sure where in the Bay area you live, but Alpharetta is a suburb through-and-through. Big box stores, few sidewalks, subdivisions everywhere, lots of Friday night football games, a big mall, horrible access to mass transit and a huge highway that bisecting the city that clogs every rush hour. I don’t know your situation, but there are other parts of the metro that might make you feel less like Wally & June Cleaver.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseen82 View Post
We currently live in SF Bay area and have lived in Boston before. Both Boston and Bay area are heavily liberal areas. We re considering moving to Alpharetta because we have heard great things about the area and standard of living and also because Bay Area is getting way too expensive.

We are practicing muslims (not crazy type, but good ones ) and we have never had any issues living in Boston or Bay Area. Could someone please tell me if we are going to have a culture shock if we move to Alpharetta? will being muslims be a issue in a relatively conservative society there? Will we face any discrimination?

Thanks
Salam Yaseen, my wife, child and I are also planning on moving to the Alpharetta area next summer. We live and grew up in the Boston area. We went down to visit in July, and we got a great vibe from the area overall. We met with a realtor and she spent the day with us, showing us different properties and subdivisions. We also looked around Woodstock, which borders Alpharetta to the west. Not as diverse as Alpharetta (I'm assuming), but more house for the money, and it seems like it is the new up and coming area.

I was raised in a multi-religion household (Muslim father, Catholic mother) and although I am not a practicing Muslim, I have the same concern as you do, because I have family that do (hijab) that would come down and visit us, and we wanted to live in an area where people wouldn't bat an eye. While we were down there, we took our daughter to a water park in Cherokee County (where Woodstock is) and I saw a woman wearing a hijab, with her husband and 3 kids. No one seemed to gawk or even really make a big deal out of it. I went up to her and introduced myself, her and her husband turned out to be Libyan, and they lived in Acworth. They both had great things to say about the area.

In addition, my father has 2 cousins down there (1 in Marietta, the other in Kennesaw), and they're wives both wear hijab. I visited them while I was down and asked for their honest opinion, and they said they've never had an issue or problem and they like the area (they've been living there for 15+ years, raised their family in the area)

I think overall you'll be happy with your move. We are leaving the Boston area because of the cost of living as well, but also, getting a little tired of our long and brutal winters. Best of luck to you, and I have attached some links to local mosques and organizations you might be interested in.

-Talal

Welcome to the Alif Institute of Atlanta, Georgia - An Arab American Non-Profit Educational and Cultural Enrichment Center.
Home
AtlantaMuslim.com
Home
Roswell Community Masjid (RCM) »
Hamzah Islamic Center Home Page
masjid Jafar Home Page
Islamic Center Duluth | Islamic Center, Duluth, Community Development, Education and Relief.
Welcome to Ibad-ur-Rahman.org | Calling To The Pure Authentic Islam

Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
What's wrong with white people? Imagine your response of I took a sandwich off bouldercrest and remarked, "this restaurant is nothing but black people". Is this considered racist?
A wife making a private comment to her husband about the lack of diversity at a certain time and place is simply an honest observation specific to that occasion. Not sure what (or why) you're reading more into it, other than possibly needing pest control for your bum?

Have to agree that it is remarkable finding oneself in a homogeneous environment, when you're used to being with a wider spectrum of individuals on a daily basis.

To the OP, sorry that the Bay area isn't affordable anymore, but glad that North Fulton may very well be welcoming and suitable for you and your family.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Imagine your response of I took a sandwich off bouldercrest and remarked, "this restaurant is nothing but black people". Is this considered racist?
Actually, we did note that about the Red Lobster on Pleasant Hill! We tend to notice if a restaurant is all one kind of race, regardless of what it is, and generally comment on it...racist or not.

Quote:
That's like telling the OP you dined at Piedmont Driving Club and determined that Atlanta is overwhelmingly white.
Hmmm, well, I guess that's fair enough. But since Norman's Landing seemed to have a fairly diverse menu, accessible price point, and prominent location on a major road, there isn't anything about it that would make it specifically draw a white demographic unless that was just organic to the area. At least, that's what it seemed like.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
I would agree with what most have said. I think that suburbanites are pretty used to seeing people of different ethnicities/religion and won't blink at the sight of a hijab. I do have to say, though, that I traveled through Dulles Airport in DC last week and was struck by the number of women I saw in the full black robe with veils over the face (I'm sorry; I don't know the proper terminology). Not quite burkas, but much more conservatively dressed than a woman with a hijab who may be wearing jeans. You don't see much of that level of conservative dress in that Atlanta suburbs.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,917 times
Thank you all for your input. This will really help us in making the decision.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
If you want a typical sunbelt suburb, Alpharetta is a solid choice. If you want a suburb more similar to what you may be used to coming from the Bay Area and Boston, look at Decatur.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
A wife making a private comment to her husband about the lack of diversity at a certain time and place is simply an honest observation specific to that occasion. Not sure what (or why) you're reading more into it, other than possibly needing pest control for your bum?

Have to agree that it is remarkable finding oneself in a homogeneous environment, when you're used to being with a wider spectrum of individuals on a daily basis.

To the OP, sorry that the Bay area isn't affordable anymore, but glad that North Fulton may very well be welcoming and suitable for you and your family.
Exactly fuubar sooooo, whenever a white woman has a similar content, in the same context, black people should be fine with it....right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta