Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 PM
bu2

23,874 posts, read 14,666,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Clifton Corridor needs transit, we cannot just give up on it because it's going to be expensive or not easy. This is the largest employment center that does not have rail transit or freeway access.
Well we shouldn't do a bad system.

It needs a serious look at grade separated HRT, not a light rail stub that forces transfers and travels in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,124,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well we shouldn't do a bad system.

It needs a serious look at grade separated HRT, not a light rail stub that forces transfers and travels in traffic.
Exactly. Still, gotta watch out for those NIMBY homeowners who will complain about "noise" (never mind the fact that there's already a freight rail line right next door).

- skbl17

Old 09-04-2015, 04:44 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,661,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Exactly. Still, gotta watch out for those NIMBY homeowners who will complain about "noise" (never mind the fact that there's already a freight rail line right next door).

- skbl17
Sadly, I'd think the NIMBYism from HRT would kill the project with lawsuits. Which would cost even more money getting no where.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,764,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

- skbl17
Can't really fault them too much. Heavy rail IS noisy and much more frequent than regular trains, will hurt their property values--and really---the folks that really benefit the most from this are folks from counties that don't even have a MARTA sales tax--THEY are the ones with ridiculous commutes! I still think that heavy rail is probably the best answer--but sometimes even the *best* answer hurts some folks--and it is kind of jerky for folks that are not being asked to make the sacrifices, not to at least acknowledge that fact.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:40 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,552,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Can't really fault them too much. Heavy rail IS noisy and much more frequent than regular trains, will hurt their property values--
Some people don't seem to care. You've got all those folks sitting up there in their million dollar homes in places like Peachtree Park and Ridgedale with MARTA trains blasting right through their backyards.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:28 AM

188 posts, read 176,935 times
The corridor's projected ridership doesn't even support the financials for light rail let alone heavy rail. Get real ladies.

-DirkMcGirt out

Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,764,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
The corridor's projected ridership doesn't even support the financials for light rail let alone heavy rail. Get real ladies.

-DirkMcGirt out
CDC, Emory, Emory Hospital, Egelston, Emory Point -which is at half capacity for retail and residential--but the new development is just now going on line--and more, AND the area is still growing--but increasing the vehicle capacity of the roads is virtually impossible. Do the "financials" support total gridlock?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:28 AM

188 posts, read 176,935 times
Quote:
CDC, Emory, Emory Hospital, Egelston, Emory Point -which is at half capacity for retail and residential--but the new development is just now going on line--and more, AND the area is still growing--but increasing the vehicle capacity of the roads is virtually impossible. Do the "financials" support total gridlock?
Maybe punish those developments for being built in stupid locations or let them contribute to the bill. If Emory and CDC want to contribute half of the cost out of their budgets, sure. It starts to makes more sense, but now it doesn't.

'Hey, I have an idea, lets continue to develop in an area that isn't easily accessible! Oh but don't worry, the taxpayers will finance a $1.2+ billion light rail line for 5,000 new mass transit riders.'

Do some research like DikrMcGirt has. Education is valuable.

-DirkMcGirt out

Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Maybe punish those developments for being built in stupid locations or let them contribute to the bill. If Emory and CDC want to contribute half of the cost out of their budgets, sure. It starts to makes more sense, but now it doesn't.

'Hey, I have an idea, lets continue to develop in an area that isn't easily accessible! Oh but don't worry, the taxpayers will finance a $1.2+ billion light rail line for 5,000 new mass transit riders.'

Do some research like DikrMcGirt has. Education is valuable.

-DirkMcGirt out
Its also about providing people access to the jobs that exist in the area.

Now I don't think light rail as proposed does a very good job of that, but we need to figure out a way to better connect all those jobs to our system.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:13 PM
bu2

Quote:
Can't really fault them too much. Heavy rail IS noisy and much more frequent than regular trains, will hurt their property values--and really---the folks that really benefit the most from this are folks from counties that don't even have a MARTA sales tax--THEY are the ones with ridiculous commutes! I still think that heavy rail is probably the best answer--but sometimes even the *best* answer hurts some folks--and it is kind of jerky for folks that are not being asked to make the sacrifices, not to at least acknowledge that fact.
There's no doubt it hurts property values. And its difficult to get agencies to compensate for that.
But if you get compensation and a proper sound wall, it really doesn't create that much noise. When we moved here, I looked at one house with MARTA running by the back yard and I looked at a house very close to I-75. And I lived once with a freight train running right behind my house.

Now if you don't get a proper sound wall, its a totally different story. There was one neighborhood in Houston that objected to the appropriate height sound wall due to aesthetics with a new overpass. And it sounded like airplanes in that neighborhood afterwards. I'm sure they regretted that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta