Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 01:27 AM

770 posts, read 603,671 times

Advertisements

Good to see development happening around Marta stations elsewhere

Still really hoping they redevelop some of these Marta stops in the densest parts of the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 02:36 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Good to see development happening around Marta stations elsewhere

Still really hoping they redevelop some of these Marta stops in the densest parts of the city
I wonder what happened to the talk of MARTA leasing the Air-rights over Midtown Station...

Imagine if there was something like Peachtree Center there around the Midtown Station, with restaurants and plenty of street-level shops / stores. I know there's a decent bit of Street-level places available, but they've not quite filled in yet. Just imagine if that Peachtree Walk across from the station was a bustling pedestrian avenue and plaza instead of only the building access way it is now.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Might make a mess of the Peachtree Road Race if they take out a lot of spaces at Brookhaven. A lot of people park there and walk to the start. MARTA is already over capacity on that morning.
I live right by the Brookhaven station and that huge parking lot is almost totally empty like 90% of the time. It's a huge waste of space in that location. Changing it into a denser development would be a great idea.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
We don't need to keep the site a parking lot to server few drivers a couple times a year. It should be developed to serve more residents and workers with transit every day. People want to live and work near transit. We need to give them those options. Not empty parking lots.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:35 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Very true they want to be close

That whole area around Midtown on 10th st needs to be redeveloped

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
I always thought the area immediately around Arts Center Station was a bit of a wasteland--seems there is a missed opportunity there.

Although to be honest, looking at the passenger embarkings by station, I'm not really sure if people are really using MARTA for entertainment as much as for commuting to work. For instance, on weekends the Perimeter Mall parking lot is PACKED -- I'm talking all the way to the edges, like Christmas season -- despite having Dunwoody station attached to the mall by walkway. Decatur embarkings have dropped around 15% from 2010-2014 despite all the entertainment right there. While Doraville's station, in a wasteland, has increased substantially though there is no entertainment around it...making me think it's all commuter traffic.

So maybe Arts Center is just fine as a business commuter station. It would be great to have more stuff around there though as an add-on to PIedmont Park entertainment.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I always thought the area immediately around Arts Center Station was a bit of a wasteland--seems there is a missed opportunity there.

Although to be honest, looking at the passenger embarkings by station, I'm not really sure if people are really using MARTA for entertainment as much as for commuting to work. For instance, on weekends the Perimeter Mall parking lot is PACKED -- I'm talking all the way to the edges, like Christmas season -- despite having Dunwoody station attached to the mall by walkway. Decatur embarkings have dropped around 15% from 2010-2014 despite all the entertainment right there. While Doraville's station, in a wasteland, has increased substantially though there is no entertainment around it...making me think it's all commuter traffic.

So maybe Arts Center is just fine as a business commuter station. It would be great to have more stuff around there though as an add-on to PIedmont Park entertainment.
Arts center could certainly have the air rights sold and a building put on top of it. For example, One Atlantic Center is actually on the Arts Center property, and is considered a part of the TOD for that station. According to MARTA's TOD profile for Arts Center, there's 1.63 acres, split into two lots, available for building up on.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I live right by the Brookhaven station and that huge parking lot is almost totally empty like 90% of the time. It's a huge waste of space in that location. Changing it into a denser development would be a great idea.
Are their many places to live already in the area near that station?? How is the homes to apartment ratio in that area from the eye view?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Brookhaven, regional transportation officials meet to discuss MARTA development on Peachtree Road

Quote:
Mayor John Ernst said the group sought “a comprehensive approach instead of reinventing the wheel.”

Ernst, City Councilman Bates Mattison and other city officials met with representatives of MARTA, the Georgia Department of Transportation, the Atlanta Regional Commission and the owners of property near the Brookhaven/Oglethorpe MARTA station to discuss the transit agency’s plans for a regional development there.

“It was a great mutual meeting that some were saying should have happened years ago,” Ernst said. “All of us weren’t aware of all the [traffic] studies going on … so now we can take a comprehensive approach instead of reinventing the wheel.”

Ernst asked for a task force after backlash against the proposed MARTA TOD at Brookhaven/Oglethorpe pushed him to ask MARTA to delay its rezoning request from April until June.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Traffic problems on Dresden Dr are caused by over-reliance on that one road to get in and out of most of Brookhaven. Need to connect up Osborne Rd, Ashford Rd. Make a grid system to relieve pressure. Don't make Dresden another Piedmont Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta