Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlgirl2015 View Post
Like I mentioned above, I'm not opposed to play-based learning, as long as there is actual, you know, learning going on. Obviously no toddler is going to be sitting around learning the multiplication tables for hours on end or reading novels, so let's all get back down to earth and recognize that when we are talking about a more academic environment, we are talking about lots of stimulating, and guided activities appropriate for young kids so they can count, tell you the sky is blue, recognize a square from a triangle, and generally love learning. And what's the harm in wanting your child to being exposed to a third or fourth language? I grew up bilingual, and my cousins in Europe all speak 3-4 languages as well. I also went into kindergarten knowing the alphabet and my numbers, as did my husband, and we want the same for our child. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to make sure your child has a good foundation for starting school if we need to move, I don't mean to shock anyone but GA schools (including the private ones) aren't exactly the best. I am extremely hands on with my son because I see that he genuinely enjoys learning new things, but with a second baby on the way, I just won't be able to attend every single Kindermusik class or spend as much time as I do now in building block towers for hours on end or heading to the aquarium to touch the fish. I want an environment for my son that will mimic what I do at home with him, and more. I went to one daycare, a Waldorf one, and I'm sure that some parents are okay with their kids digging in the dirt aimlessly or wandering around looking bored as a teacher mumbles some nonsense about fairies making night time fall, but that's not what we are looking for. To each his own, so please save feeling pained for more important things in life.
Well, I clearly must enjoy pain--I've made 974 posts on this forum. LOL.

Bye, guys! I'm off to write my thesis on that preschool where the teacher mumbles about fairies and actually lets kids dig in the dirt for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM

71 posts, read 67,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Since you've got it all figured out, I'm surprised you're asking random Georgia dummies on the Internet for advice
I asked for advice on specific preschools to look into, not advice on parenting philosophies.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
Childhood isn't one of the more important things in life?
Feeling pained over the academic choices that others may make is ridiculous. We are not talking about child abuse here, we are talking about preschool. I specifically said in my previous posts, that I am looking for a more structured environment with language immersion, music, etc. I explained why I am interested in those programs. Some folks were kind enough to recommend some good options that I will be looking into. That's all I wanted. I didn't ask for opinions on different types of schools, I didn't ask for advice on parenting.

Last edited by Atlgirl2015; 09-18-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Feeling pained over the academic choices that others may make is ridiculous. We are not talking about child abuse here, we are talking about preschool. I specifically said in my previous posts, that I am looking for a more structured environment with language immersion, music, etc. I explained why I am interested in those programs. Some folks were kind enough to recommend some good options that I will be looking into. That's all I wanted. I didn't ask for opinions on different types of schools, I didn't ask for advice on parenting.
If you stick with this forum, you will see that we offer free advice--and a lot of it is very good advice--we have debates, get off topic, get back on topic, repeat ourselves and generally carry on. I've learned a ton from the other posters--even the ones I don't like and/or disagree with.

For preschools, the Atlanta International School starts at 3K. For 2 year olds, The Spanish Academy on Peachtree near Peachtree Battle has the language component you are looking for.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I think that a child would learn the alphabet and numbers in most any preschool and pre-K. Waldorf might be the one exception, but those kids seem to learn in due time. "Digging in dirt aimlessly" sounds great to me, but I unfortunately can't afford the Waldorf tuition.
Im sure it works for some kids, but knowing my child, this won't be the right direction for him. Some kids do well with nature type free play, but my son is much more interested in having someone show him a book, or puzzle pieces, or sing songs. He's currently interested in pointing to everything so I can name what it is. My husband and I are both more practical, science-minded people so he definitely gets it from us. We ended up speaking with a mom who has a daughter in the Suzuki school and it sounded MUCH more up our alley. They learn some good independent skills like washing hands after using the bathroom, saying please/thank you, putting dishes away, and they have the foreign language enrichment program. It's more days per week than I originally wanted but I think we will explore it. We were also told about Da Vinci and Spanish Learning Academy, which we added to our list.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
If you stick with this forum, you will see that we offer free advice--and a lot of it is very good advice--we have debates, get off topic, get back on topic, repeat ourselves and generally carry on. I've learned a ton from the other posters--even the ones I don't like and/or disagree with.

For preschools, the Atlanta International School starts at 3K. For 2 year olds, The Spanish Academy on Peachtree near Peachtree Battle has the language component you are looking for.
Look I appreciate that, but I didn't want to turn this into a debate, I simply wanted some names of schools to look into. Parenting is hard enough without advice from strangers (which I realize it's an Internet forum, so there will always be opinions, but I really wanted to make this cut and dry). There will always be parents who are more more "free range" with their approach to parenting, and parents who will be more "traditional". No side is more right than the other, it all depends on what works for your child and for your family. I checked out one type of preschool and decided it was way too out there for us and that other approaches would suit us better. Some parents might think that it's right up their alley. And that's fine, they are making choices based on factors right for them. To me it looked like the kids were bored, another mom might think they were exploring. I think that we should teach kids that night time falls because of the rotation of the planet, another mom might want it to be more of an imaginative story. Just like one mom might think singing the days of the week in Spanish is a waste of time for a 3-4 year old and kids should just be making sand castles. No one is right or wrong, we all love our kids and want them to do well.

Thanks for the school names, I will look into them.

Last edited by Atlgirl2015; 09-18-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone, we have found our 5-6 schools to look into.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, we have found our 5-6 schools to look into.
You'll find what you're looking for at Little DaVinci Intl School. Language immersion, academics, small classes (about 8 kids and two teachers - not a teacher and a diaper changer), fun and it's only a four hour program starting at 18 months through 3k. DM me if you want more info. It's also in the Blue Heron nature preserve so the kids are out exploring in nature.

You're on the right track - learning and fun do not need to be mutually exclusive and don't listen to anyone telling you not to intentionally teach your young child. Their brains are made to learn at this age and they can do it and have fun too. Take care.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
You'll find what you're looking for at Little DaVinci Intl School. Language immersion, academics, small classes (about 8 kids and two teachers - not a teacher and a diaper changer), fun and it's only a four hour program starting at 18 months through 3k. DM me if you want more info. It's also in the Blue Heron nature preserve so the kids are out exploring in nature.

You're on the right track - learning and fun do not need to be mutually exclusive and don't listen to anyone telling you not to intentionally teach your young child. Their brains are made to learn at this age and they can do it and have fun too. Take care.
Da vinci isn't very convenient to VA-HI esp for a four hour program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta