Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 AM

749 posts, read 886,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
strippers?
Well, the poles are already there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
There are already about 5 people in every car broadcasting terrible music. Whatever DJ we hire needs to be able to drown out Fetty Wap.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:09 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
There are already about 5 people in every car broadcasting terrible music. Whatever DJ we hire needs to be able to drown out Fetty Wap.

So will the DJ play hip hop on the Bankhead line, Salsa on the Doraville line and County music at the Sandy Springs station?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
Whatever DJ we hire needs to be able to drown out Fetty Wap.
I thought this was a joke.

I typically keep up with pop music, but had never heard of Fetty Wap. I see that Trap Queen hit number 2 on the Billboard top 100. Then I saw the video on Youtube has 237 million views.

Surely I've heard it, I just didn't know who sang it or what it was called.

Then I played it. Nope. Never heard it ever. Boy, I must be really out of touch.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
No salsa. Please, please, let him play Babymetal on the Doraville line!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Fetty Wap is good though - Trap Queen and Come My Way are nice sounding songs.

As long as these "millennials" don't spread MARTA into Fayette County...

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
1) Have a vote via the MARTA app.
2) There could be quiet cars.
3) Pro Bono
4) This is Atlanta, it should be Atlanta based hip hop artist.
Re No. 2, I'd recommend putting the quiet cars nearest the staircases and elevators, so that the elderly, physically challenged and those with children won't have to walk as far to find them.

On No. 4, I appreciate artistic expression but I don't want to be riding along with other passengers hearing offensive lyrics.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:25 AM
bu2

24,084 posts, read 14,875,404 times
The upshot is to make MARTA an integral part of life in metro Atlanta. Ideas include an app that lists events occurring at locations near MARTA bus and rail stops; expanding the fresh market concept that MARTA has developed at the West End Station; staging pop up community gardens in underused parking lots; and having live DJs mix music inside MARTA trains.

MARTA would hire an art curator to coordinate the events, according to presenter Blake Bredbenner.

Its this type of thing that makes people believe MARTA is incompetent and shouldn't have any more money. A transit agency hiring an art curator?

Maybe they should spend their money on transit and leave art and community gardens, etc. to city governments.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Hey, people offering ideas on how to make MARTA better! It can't be so bad.

Quote:
A related aspect is to unify the region’s five major transit systems in order to promote the development of a comprehensive transit system. The group cites MARTA, GRTA, Cobb Community Transit, Gwinnett County Transit, and Atlanta Streetcar.
Good idea! Gee, I wish we had an agency that was originally set up with this idea in mind. Aw well.

Quote:
The upshot is to make MARTA an integral part of life in metro Atlanta.
Of course!

Quote:
Ideas include an app that lists events occurring at locations near MARTA bus and rail stops;
Great idea!

Quote:
expanding the fresh market concept that MARTA has developed at the West End Station;
I like these millenials. They know what's up. I still hope that these "fresh markets" provide a springboard for full in-station retail, though.

Quote:
staging pop up community gardens in underused parking lots;
Still a good idea, but most of those lots are goners once the TOD projects finally start construction. Some of them should still be around, though.

All these ideas are great! What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
and having live DJs mix music inside MARTA trains.
AAAHHHHHH. We almost made it!

No no no no no no no. I have absolutely no problem with allowing officially sanctioned musical performances by local groups inside of rail stations; what's wrong with a little entertainment while waiting for the train? On trains, however? Screw that, I just want (relative) peace and quiet, and I'm sure many riders would agree. The "no music on trains unless you're wearing headphones" rule exists for a reason: nobody wants to share a train with passengers blaring super loud music.

Heck, even with the overall success of the Ride with Respect campaign, there's still a bit of a problem with passengers having their earbud volume up too loud. That is annoying on its own, I can't fathom a MARTA that allows live musical performances on trains.

Quote:
MARTA would hire an art curator to coordinate the events, according to presenter Blake Bredbenner.
Are you kidding me? Why does MARTA need an art curator? What, is the agency planning to turn stations into art museums?

Yes, many of the stations are dull concrete husks that could use some freshening up, but I don't think it warrants the maintenance of a full-time art curator. MARTA is a transit agency, not the Smithsonian. What's wrong with "planning events" through MARTA's existing staff?

- skbl17

Old 09-16-2015, 11:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Fetty Wap is good though - Trap Queen and Come My Way are nice sounding songs.

As long as these "millennials" don't spread MARTA into Fayette County...
Do Millennials live in Fayette County?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta