Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Thousands of Contractors yearly, is more than Atlanta needs. The way I'm reading it, it will be their national center, but is currently training people that will be installing in Atlanta.

The thing about the location though - it's sort of a hotel/restaurant/retail deadzone for travelers. It's a business park with very little around it - some stuff in Hapeville - but still 2 miles or so to get to the good stuff. The other side of it winds up on Joneboro Ro - another 2 miles before you get into the Forest Park side of restaurants and stuff. Mostly budget motels, they'd have to rent cars (which isn't a bad thing necessarily as it would give them room).

I would have liked to have seen it along the Virginia Ave corridor somewhere - more walkable - nicer hotels, more restaurants to access. Still limited on train access, but I guess they are there to learn, not to vacay.
Has to be near the LEASED fiber long-haul routes. The routes leading south of here tend to split out south of Atlanta with Level 3, AT&T, and others riding the same routes. Think train tracks and rail right of ways.

This location is cheap and gives them access to major carrier's fiber (you really don't think they are going to build it all themselves do you??? NO ONE does, not even Google) and those in particular that have local access fiber rings (Metro-Ethernet enabled).

Typical carrier move. Find the cheapest real estate you can and off you go. Wish the government thought that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Has to be near the LEASED fiber long-haul routes. The routes leading south of here tend to split out south of Atlanta with Level 3, AT&T, and others riding the same routes. Think train tracks and rail right of ways.

This location is cheap and gives them access to major carrier's fiber (you really don't think they are going to build it all themselves do you??? NO ONE does, not even Google) and those in particular that have local access fiber rings (Metro-Ethernet enabled).

Typical carrier move. Find the cheapest real estate you can and off you go. Wish the government thought that way.

Thank you for educating me on things I already know.

The problem with what you are saying though is twofold:

1. Level 3's backbone (which I believe is what they are leasing, since all the cities that have been chosen, are level 3 hubs) has the long haul fiber running on the OPPOSITE side of the Airport from where this training facility is. Closer to Virginia Ave as a matter of fact.

2. Backbone fiber location has little to do with training home installers. They just need to concern themselves with running it from the fiber hut to the house, and maybe not even that - if they are true home installers - they just need to think about from the pole to the house.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Moist.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:02 PM

39 posts, read 59,137 times
Google Fiber is offering free t-shirts to Atlanta (and nearby neighborhood) residents:

https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/tshirt/

Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
Thanks just submitted request for my shirt

Old 11-16-2015, 11:01 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
I got my shirt in the mail today thanks for posting the link
Attached Thumbnails
Google Fiber picks Atlanta for national training center-img_20151117_003250.jpg  

Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 AM

253 posts, read 303,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I got my shirt saturday.

have they said how they are breaking down Fiberhoods? For example ATT Gigapower is in ATL now and my mother in Stone Mountain has it, yet I live in COA and have no access to it or any Uverse services.

I`d had to get passed up on Google Fiber too, because Comcast literally has a Monopoloy in my neighborhood.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I signed up for email updates at the beginning - where is my shirt? I feel like I'm being slighted lol.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
I found this map linked on a reddit thread earlier; it's not a complete map of fiber huts, but does show some of them (maybe just CoA?). https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...E.k2NGr6_tDT5E

Google hasn't said anything about Fiberhoods yet, and we won't know which neighborhoods will get service until we've had a chance to sign up and see how many customers are in each.

Each fiber hut can serve about 40,000 homes. There's one going up five blocks from my house, so I'm feeling pretty good right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta