Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this and I may take some heat behind this but who ever is the blame for this lack of responsibility for our City's basic infrastructure like lighting on our major highways whether it be the State, City, Counties or whoever, this is crazy. They can always find money to put behind or support what they want to like shiny new Stadiums when the one's that we have aren't that old compared to some Cities but we can't invest in basic lighting for safety, repairs or we claim to not have the money to pay the light bill to keep the lights on. Now that's interesting. We buy fancy things in our house we don't NEED but can't afford to pay the light bill or change the wiring or the light bulb if needed.. smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:21 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Sure. If there is a big organized effort you might get a city or two to spend a couple million to fix a few dozen lights, but that won't solve the problem. They will just be neglected again once the focus goes away. Their voters will be putting more pressure on them for more local safety issues like police, stoplights, pedestrian / bike improvements than spending millions to support regional transportation infrastructure safety improvements.

The real fix is moving responsibility to GDOT.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I hate to say this and I may take some heat behind this but who ever is the blame for this lack of responsibility for our City's basic infrastructure like lighting on our major highways whether it be the State, City, Counties or whoever, this is crazy. They can always find money to put behind or support what they want to like shiny new Stadiums when the one's that we have aren't that old compared to some Cities but we can't invest in basic lighting for safety, repairs or we claim to not have the money to pay the light bill to keep the lights on. Now that's interesting. We buy fancy things in our house we don't NEED but can't afford to pay the light bill or change the wiring or the light bulb if needed.. smh
I think that part of the problem is that infrastructure maintenance is a very unsexy political issue. "Hey, I'm gonna petition our county commission to turn the highway lights back on." Uh, OK. Well, those lights can save lives. That's the connection that people need to make here.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:43 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I rented an apartment off Pleasant Hill Road in 2000 and was always happy with how lit up I-85 was. Then I moved to Buckhead in 2001 and never took that stretch of I-85 at night anymore.

In 2009, I bought a house in Duluth. I was horrified to see that the lights, which I knew were capable of shining bright on I-85, had been turned off.

So I wrote to the AJC about it. And they published an article on it: Rick Badie's Gwinnett: Shining a light on safety | www.ajc.com

I don't want to say I'm personally responsible for getting the lights turned back on, but a nice letter to the media with proof points from scientific studies showing correlations between illumination and accidents couldn't have hurt.

The lights have been shining ever since.
Mad props for your positive civic engagement. Keep it up.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:23 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
W= Being new the area residing outside the Smyrna city limits, I had no idea the lights on the interstates were dark until driving from East Pointe one night. I could barely see as is at night and with the lights being off made it even more difficult. You had some ppl respond supporting the lights being off, but one comment that stood out was PKCorey stating that "it's kinda the norm around here." Now that I've been here over 5 years it's like I didn't pay the lighting much attention until reading this thread. It really became the norm for me also lol.
I told you, .

Most times, I don't even notice unless it is a rainy night and I wish, they had lights on the highway or when I go from I-20 through central Dekalb and you end up at 285 and its pitch black.

285 is pitch black.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times
GDOT really should take over responsibility for lighting freeways. The cities and counties don't maintain state freeways and interstates, so they shouldn't have to foot the bill for lights.

Besides, GDOT has an extra ~$900 million/year now (and depending on inflation, that number could very well go up). Yes, most of that is reserved for maintenance and "a few select projects per year", but I don't see why a few million dollars/year can't be set aside for freeway lights in Georgia's metro areas.

- skbl17

Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
We shall see.

They barely have GDOT cameras over the metro interstates. The freeway lights might seem even more unfeasible to them as well.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 AM

I just think it's imperative that we get the lights fixed and back on that we do have. I 20, I 75/85, inside the Perimeter, especially the City of Atlanta and Airport Area, no Excuses... I think it's time we start holding or fair leaders responsible and stop just let them blow money as they please on unnecessary items until we have our bare necessities and our bills are paid.. just my opinion

Old 09-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Does anyone know if the new I-75 Toll Hot lanes on the NW Side and in Henry County going to include lighting in these projects

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Gawd...i needed a Valium this morning..630 am in the rain on 400 to make the Atlanta heart run downtown...pitch black!!!! Unbelievable how this great city neglects to fix the lights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta