Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

Why does it Seem like Metro Atlanta has some of worse Freeway Lighting in the Country. It's a given that a majority of the Freeway Lights that are erected are within 285 the Perimeter Hwy on I-20, I-75 and I-85 but the bad part is a MAJORITY of those lights don't Work, they are Sparse at best and those lights have been out for Years... I have been to Tons of Major Cities and many much smaller than Atlanta but none with such bad lighting or lights that Don't work on the Highways. What's going on here, What is the issue, Who is Responsible for the Up keep??? Is this from the City Level, State Level or the Power Company.. Idk but I think it should be Addressed, very unsafe for such poor lighting on Urban Area Freeways.. I have heard excuses of Stolen Copper in the past but stolen Copper doesn't Take that long to replace.. What's the real issue here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
The ones in the City of Atlanta and Marietta were stolen by crooks.

The rest of the metro just doesn't have them. No idea way. Same reason that the overhead signs are not illuminated.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The ones in the City of Atlanta and Marietta were stolen by crooks.

The rest of the metro just doesn't have them. No idea way. Same reason that the overhead signs are not illuminated.
Yes, I have heard the stories..Taking a long time to replace.. I-20 on the West side is very sparse with lighting and Downtown Atlanta on I-75/85 isn't much better around the Curves.. Airport Area is Terrible on 75 and 85 side.. You would think that Area would be well lit especially with so many people coming in and out of the Airport area and people that are just arriving in Atlanta trying to find there way... Atlanta really drops the ball in the lighting department and if it's only excuse is crooks stealing copper they need to go another route

Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yes, I have heard the stories..Taking a long time to replace.. I-20 on the West side is very sparse with lighting and Downtown Atlanta on I-75/85 isn't much better around the Curves.. Airport Area is Terrible on 75 and 85 side.. You would think that Area would be well lit especially with so many people coming in and out of the Airport area and people that are just arriving in Atlanta trying to find there way... Atlanta really drops the ball in the lighting department and if it's only excuse is crooks stealing copper they need to go another route
As a way to cut back during the Great Recession, the city turned off the freeway lights. Of course during that time copper thieves stole wiring. They are state roads, so GDOT should foot the bill for increased safety.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Yes, no excuse for lack of night lights especially when Atl is such a crossroads from all directions.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As a way to cut back during the Great Recession, the city turned off the freeway lights. Of course during that time copper thieves stole wiring. They are state roads, so GDOT should foot the bill for increased safety.
Agree. I know that somehow the City of Marietta is on the hook for replacing these, and I suppose the same is true of the City of Atlanta. Doesn't really seem fair but whatever. I read an article a few months ago saying that Marietta is studying the issue and is probably going to wait a bit longer to save up for LED lamps, which will use less power and also make it more difficult for the metal thieves in the future. I think that makes sense, but will confess that I really miss the lamps and hope they are restored soon.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Why does it Seem like Metro Atlanta has some of worse Freeway Lighting in the Country. It's a given that a majority of the Freeway Lights that are erected are within 285 the Perimeter Hwy on I-20, I-75 and I-85 but the bad part is a MAJORITY of those lights don't Work, they are Sparse at best and those lights have been out for Years... I have been to Tons of Major Cities and many much smaller than Atlanta but none with such bad lighting or lights that Don't work on the Highways. What's going on here, What is the issue, Who is Responsible for the Up keep??? Is this from the City Level, State Level or the Power Company.. Idk but I think it should be Addressed, very unsafe for such poor lighting on Urban Area Freeways.. I have heard excuses of Stolen Copper in the past but stolen Copper doesn't Take that long to replace.. What's the real issue here
I think about this every single morning before sunrise as I'm driving in to work. It's absolutely ridiculous how many lights aren't working in the city. As soon as you cross into Dekalb on 20, boom, it's lit.

2-3 years ago the media started making a fuss about and the city essentially said they'd been turned off during the recession in addition to the fact that most of the bulbs hadn't been replaced in some absurd amount of time. Then there's the problem with copper wiring being stolen out of the boxes. The city also gave the excuse that they didn't have the Ga Power equipment/staff to get up to the lights to fix them anymore.

According to all the news reports back then, they were supposed to have been done by now.

Audit: Nearly half of Atlanta's interstate lights are in the dark | www.wsbtv.com

Thousands of streetlights out in metro Atlanta | www.wsbtv.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unfortunately, that's not how it works (at least in GA). If you want lights, the local government has to fund it.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I think about this every single morning before sunrise as I'm driving in to work. It's absolutely ridiculous how many lights aren't working in the city. As soon as you cross into Dekalb on 20, boom, it's lit.

2-3 years ago the media started making a fuss about and the city essentially said they'd been turned off during the recession in addition to the fact that most of the bulbs hadn't been replaced in some absurd amount of time. Then there's the problem with copper wiring being stolen out of the boxes. The city also gave the excuse that they didn't have the Ga Power equipment/staff to get up to the lights to fix them anymore.

According to all the news reports back then, they were supposed to have been done by now.

Audit: Nearly half of Atlanta's interstate lights are in the dark | www.wsbtv.com

Thousands of streetlights out in metro Atlanta | www.wsbtv.com

Unfortunately, that's not how it works (at least in GA). If you want lights, the local government has to fund it.
Who pays for the lights along 85 between Shallowford and 316?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
I believe the Dekalb and Gwinnett County governments pick up the tab for those.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Cities are on the hook for replacing the highway lights.

I agree they should be fixed but since they mostly benefits non-residents I am fine with those being low-priority on the budget. Too many of my taxes already go to subsidize non-residents as it is.

The real solution is moving responsibility to GDOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta