Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The only system that has been put in place is the federal government violently denying white people the right to live among each other. Everything else has sprung up organically.
Yeah, that's why the vast majority of suburbs and neighborhoods in this country is 85%+ white...right?

You do know most whites in the Atlanta area live in subdivisions, suburbs that are over 80% white, right? Alpharetta, Johns Creek, East Cobb, Forsyth...clearly, the government has been denying their right to live amongst others whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 PM

188 posts, read 177,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Clayton already has Elite Scholars and Stilwell School of the arts. There's also Rex Mill and MD Roberts which are magnet middle schools. Lovejoy is a IB school.
How long until Clayton County loses accreditation again?

That doesn't happen in desirable areas.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:40 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
How long until Clayton County loses accreditation again?

That doesn't happen in desirable areas.
Clayton's accreditation loss has nothing to do with what kind of area it was. It had to do with the elected officials and citizens definitely weren't quiet about it. This was a board issue and had nothing to do with the schools or students. Really in the end, there wasn't a good reason for them to lose accreditation, all that was needed was a board change. And even worse has happened in Dekalb and Atlanta school systems and their accreditations aren't gone.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Thank you for setting the record straight here demonta4. Your post is spot on correct!
As you & I know from this example & others, it's unfortunate when people post things here when they have no clue as to the facts of the situation they are writing about.
A major drawback of online forums is that people are free to say just about anything, truth or veracity be danged..

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default The new face of mainstream racism in metro Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The only system that has been put in place is the federal government violently denying white people the right to live among each other. Everything else has sprung up organically.

OMG! Among other things there, "violently.." Really???
How are people able to dream these sort of ideas up & post them here with a straight face?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
I want to say for the record, PUSHING the poor to certain locations of the metro is NOT an ATLANTA problem. Its a world wide thing. Every major city has a system in place where the wealthy and powerful keep the poor in a box where very few can escape. Its not impossible to escape poverty, the wealthy just have many things in place to keep the poor where they are.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Wealth does play a role in this. Exhibit A: Next door Fayette County. A little further from the core, but a much higher income bracket, much higher quality housing stock. Fayette is not lily white anymore by any means, but it is not a case for white flight either.

Reading thru the thread, here are some disjointed thoughts:

Attitudes have changed in my lifetime. I can remember a time when one black family on a street caused the whole neighborhood to go on the market. I remember noticing the attitude had shifted in the 90s when I drove a bus for Cobb County. My routes covered most of the Lassiter and Pope areas, still to this day a majority white area. However, even then, I always had AA children on any route I drove. I had the position called "retainer" meaning I went anywhere in the Lassiter/Pope and sometimes Sprayberry and Walton areas as a fill in for an absent driver, so I saw a good half of all neighborhoods in East Cobb. I remember then thinking "white folk have finally moved a step in the right direction" as there was not a wholesale move to Cherokee.

But I still see this as a trend for most whites (and not just southern whites, but nationwide). White people don't mind a diverse community. They even enjoy a variety of skin shades in their community. But white people DO NOT like being in the minority, especially when it comes to sending their kids to school. Test scores, academic ranking, reputation for safety, etc, etc are used to make the decision to uproot and get kids in a good school, but I say it is still inherent racism.

I can't come on here and claim that I am any different.

I am now divorced, I live in a complex here in Texas where we are pretty evenly split white/black/hispanic. It's not a problem for me on my own. But if i had had the kids with me (only one left in high school) I would have chosen another area as my local elementary is not the greatest. The EX has had them in the "best" school clusters here so didn't have to worry about it.

Please don't crucify me. I am being gut level honest. But I believe whites leave an area when the school gets majority minority. There is a little different twist on the racial attitude here in Texas with the much larger hispanic population that outnumbers the AA population, there isn't the wholesale leaving of an area by whites like you see in Atlanta... but it still happens. Before we moved to Texas, we were looking at leaving the Sprayberry district for the Pope district. I think the same attitude was going on there, but it was more the EX than me.....

Ok, enough of my rambling....

Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I grew up in Clayton County, in the 80s and early 90s. Even when it was majority white...

Personally I always thought it was a dump, even though I do wish the best for the county...but its an older strip mall 50s and 60s suburban dystopia. When I moved to Athens in 94, having always lived in Clayton I felt like I had found heaven on earth (which I know it wasn't really but Clayton seemed so bad off to me, and I did grow up quite poor like many of the people in Clayton).

For me it was a class issue but I can see why for others like my older parents who thought Clayton was ok and now its not, to them its a race issue.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Forest Park High School
Black 46%
Hispanic 36%
Asian 10%
White 4%
Two or more races 3%
Please tell me how white people could feel uncomfortable here. If every other race can send their kids to school in Clayton what's so special about whites.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:58 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Wealth does play a role in this. Exhibit A: Next door Fayette County. A little further from the core, but a much higher income bracket, much higher quality housing stock. Fayette is not lily white anymore by any means, but it is not a case for white flight either.

Reading thru the thread, here are some disjointed thoughts:

Attitudes have changed in my lifetime. I can remember a time when one black family on a street caused the whole neighborhood to go on the market. I remember noticing the attitude had shifted in the 90s when I drove a bus for Cobb County. My routes covered most of the Lassiter and Pope areas, still to this day a majority white area. However, even then, I always had AA children on any route I drove. I had the position called "retainer" meaning I went anywhere in the Lassiter/Pope and sometimes Sprayberry and Walton areas as a fill in for an absent driver, so I saw a good half of all neighborhoods in East Cobb. I remember then thinking "white folk have finally moved a step in the right direction" as there was not a wholesale move to Cherokee.

But I still see this as a trend for most whites (and not just southern whites, but nationwide). White people don't mind a diverse community. They even enjoy a variety of skin shades in their community. But white people DO NOT like being in the minority, especially when it comes to sending their kids to school. Test scores, academic ranking, reputation for safety, etc, etc are used to make the decision to uproot and get kids in a good school, but I say it is still inherent racism.

I can't come on here and claim that I am any different.

I am now divorced, I live in a complex here in Texas where we are pretty evenly split white/black/hispanic. It's not a problem for me on my own. But if i had had the kids with me (only one left in high school) I would have chosen another area as my local elementary is not the greatest. The EX has had them in the "best" school clusters here so didn't have to worry about it.

Please don't crucify me. I am being gut level honest. But I believe whites leave an area when the school gets majority minority. There is a little different twist on the racial attitude here in Texas with the much larger hispanic population that outnumbers the AA population, there isn't the wholesale leaving of an area by whites like you see in Atlanta... but it still happens. Before we moved to Texas, we were looking at leaving the Sprayberry district for the Pope district. I think the same attitude was going on there, but it was more the EX than me.....

Ok, enough of my rambling....

I'm sorry. I'm having a difficult time being empathetic to white people's alleged discomfort being in the minority.

I have been the minority no matter where I go, or what the majority is, for damn near all my life. it's really not that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta