Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,520 times

Advertisements

I'm thin, but whatever: I have lower back problems (mri showed a bulging disc) that would likely be helped my pilates, yoga etc.

I'm in Suwanee and can't seem to find something I like.

Can anyone recommend/not recommend Liftime Sugarloaf (Suwanee/Lawrenceville line)? These big health clubs scare me. . . as in you can't get out of deals with them, they have a reputation of being shady financially etc. etc.

Trust me: I can come up with a zillion reasons not to work out. It's raining. It's hot. Too many cars on the road. The health clubs rip you off.

I mean: etc. I never run out of excuses. Lifetime is close to my house so I couldn't complaint that its too far away.

Any thoughts?

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
LT does not lock you in, they are month to month with a 30 day notice and you're out.

They offer a free trial, go check it out. Best clubs in the area, but pricey.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
LT does not lock you in, they are month to month with a 30 day notice and you're out.

They offer a free trial, go check it out. Best clubs in the area, but pricey.
Can you share more: how long have you been w/ them? Do you use classes? What do you pay?

Thanks for writing!

Alley

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Can you share more: how long have you been w/ them? Do you use classes? What do you pay?

Thanks for writing!

Alley
Don't use them any more, couldn't justify the cost, but I have nothing but good things to say about them. I think we were paying $60 per month at the time... a few years ago. They have intro fees that are negotiable, but the monthly fee is pretty much in stone.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
So I belonged to Lifetime in Sandy Springs for a while. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to quit. I believe it was, like, 30 day notice. That was it. The outdoor pool and childcare made it worth it for me--I believe it was $150/month or something crazy. I didn't take advantage of the fitness classes very often. The yoga was not good there--it felt like it was meant for very old people and not rigorous at all. However, the place was clean, up-beat, the snack bar was awesome. Good vibes.

In your situation, a local yoga studio might work better--some people find that the community keeps them coming back, teacher knows your name and asks about you, etc.

Lifetime is a good place, I just am not sure it's right for you--it does have a corporate anonymity about it. Place is HUGE. I sometimes felt like it took me longer to park and wander around the facility and get situated than to actually work out.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I loved Lifetime.

For all the reasons mentioned. It's huge, clean, has free towel service, and is open 24/7, which was a huge plus for me.

It also feels like a cruise ship when you walk in. So to me, it was very motivating and I didn't have to overcome the hump of going to the gym. I wanted to go, because it was a place I wanted to be. Especially since I knew that after my workout, I was going to sit in one of the whirlpools under a waterfall. I enjoyed the heck out of Lifetime.

I think it's over $70 per month now, probably close to $80. I couldn't justify the price, but I always think about going back.

When I quit, I didn't take any chances. I sent them a letter via certified mail notifying them to cancel my membership, and they did.

One quick caveat: I ended up going to the Johns Creek location more than Sugarloaf. I'm about smack in between them, and Johns Creek seemed to have a higher class clientele. Sugarloaf had more people who loved to walk around the locker room completely naked (which I don't really like), and when I saw someone with a pretty nasty and at least contagious looking skin condition enter the hot tub, I decided not to use it anymore. I had to sound like that kind of guy, but the nudity and people who didn't take care of themselves started to bother me. Not an issue at Johns Creek.

In closing, Lifetime is a great club. But it's expensive. Like, really expensive. But it definitely removes the motivation hurdle, at least for me.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
My favorite place! I go there every day. I never thought I'd belong to a fitness club, let alone go to group fitness classes. But I go every day and it's made such a big difference in my mental and physical well-being.

They just raised our dues. It's $127 for the two of us. Although we are frugal, we think it's so worth it. The place is gorgeous and so motivating. It's a community of all types of people, all different ages. Something for everyone. And considering that most yoga classes in private studios can be $12 to $30 a class, to be able to take a yoga class every day of the week for about $60 a month is truly a bargain.

I too was having some back problems and then even sciatica, but my exercise regimen cured both. Never felt better---and I'm 61.

They have all the typical cardio and weight machines, but I like to take classes because I work harder, get instruction, and it's more varied. I do kickboxing, step, weights, water aerobics, pilates, Zumba, and lots of yoga.

I can't recommend it highly enough. They'll give you a free week's trial.

Alley, I'm going to send you a private message.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
S The yoga was not good there--it felt like it was meant for very old people and not rigorous at all.
Jan, so surprised to hear you say that. I think the yoga at Lifetime is very vigorous and I don't think it's just because I'm probably way older than you. They specialize in hot power vinyasa yoga (and while I don't go to the Sandy Springs location, the yoga is pretty uniform from place to place). Most of the people in my classes are in their 20's and 30's! Sometimes I wish it was slower and gentler---there are times that it seems more like gymnastics on a yoga mat rather than mind-body-spirit hatha yoga.

Wonder if maybe you took a yin/restorative class? Where you hold a pose 3 to 5 minutes? That's actually rigorous in its own way (it can be hard to hold a pose, both physically and mentally).

Old 09-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I loved Lifetime.

For all the reasons mentioned. It's huge, clean, has free towel service, and is open 24/7, which was a huge plus for me.

It also feels like a cruise ship when you walk in. So to me, it was very motivating and I didn't have to overcome the hump of going to the gym. I wanted to go, because it was a place I wanted to be. Especially since I knew that after my workout, I was going to sit in one of the whirlpools under a waterfall. I enjoyed the heck out of Lifetime.

I think it's over $70 per month now, probably close to $80. I couldn't justify the price, but I always think about going back.

When I quit, I didn't take any chances. I sent them a letter via certified mail notifying them to cancel my membership, and they did.

One quick caveat: I ended up going to the Johns Creek location more than Sugarloaf. I'm about smack in between them, and Johns Creek seemed to have a higher class clientele. Sugarloaf had more people who loved to walk around the locker room completely naked (which I don't really like), and when I saw someone with a pretty nasty and at least contagious looking skin condition enter the hot tub, I decided not to use it anymore. I had to sound like that kind of guy, but the nudity and people who didn't take care of themselves started to bother me. Not an issue at Johns Creek.

In closing, Lifetime is a great club. But it's expensive. Like, really expensive. But it definitely removes the motivation hurdle, at least for me.
I agree with everything you wrote---but in terms of what I bolded, you may well be talking about my husband. He does have a condition where he gets lots of small bumps on his skin. You might think it was a rash. It's a genetic condition called neurofibramotosis and while it is unsightly, there is no way it is contagious. It's a genetic condition. Unless my husband's genes get transplanted into you, you'd be entirely safe sharing a hot tub with him. And it's certainly not a question of not taking care of himself. His diet is excellent (whole foods plant based) and he works out every day. He just didn't chose his parents very well since his father was the one who passed on the condition.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM

122 posts, read 186,322 times
Lifetime is a great gym that offers pretty much anything. However, that comes at a very high price. To get your money's worth, I think you need to frequent the gym 4-5 times a week at least. Thus, for avid gym goers, lifetime is great.

If your more of a 1 to 3 times per week gym goer (like myself) I would consider something cheaper like LA Fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta