Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:15 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods are gentrifying faster between West End/Westview and Summerhill/Peoplestown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Right now West End, but we will see a big jump in Summerhill / Peoplestown with Turner Field getting redeveloped.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Right now West End, but we will see a big jump in Summerhill / Peoplestown with Turner Field getting redeveloped.
When is the Turner Field project projected to be finished? And do you think Summerhill/Peoplestown will eventually surpass West End/Westview (even after the Westside of the Beltline is fully established)?

Lastly, which area do you think will be more desirable/expensive/nicer, etc. when they are both at their prime?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
When is the Turner Field project projected to be finished?
The Mayor said five years from now to have all the pieces done.

Quote:
And do you think Summerhill/Peoplestown will eventually surpass West End/Westview (even after the Westside of the Beltline is fully established)?
Hard to say at this point. I think both have comparable but different potentials. Their fates are also somewhat intertwined considering their proximity.

Quote:
Lastly, which area do you think will be more desirable/expensive/nicer, etc. when they are both at their prime?
For this I will say West End. I think the "Mall at West End" area will densify with the MARTA HRT access next door and the housing stock around it is very nice. But it is still a tough call because we don't know what will come out of the Turner redevelopment yet. GSU? Casio? Atlantic Station II?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The Mayor said five years from now to have all the pieces done.

Hard to say at this point. I think both have comparable but different potentials. Their fates are also somewhat intertwined considering their proximity.

For this I will say West End. I think the "Mall at West End" area will densify with the MARTA HRT access next door and the housing stock around it is very nice. But it is still a tough call because we don't know what will come out of the Turner redevelopment yet. GSU? Casio? Atlantic Station II?
I think a mini "Atlantic Station II" would be a good fit for the West End Mall site. Throw a Publix in there and they could make a killing... What do you guys think?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
When is the Turner Field project projected to be finished? And do you think Summerhill/Peoplestown will eventually surpass West End/Westview (even after the Westside of the Beltline is fully established)?

Summerhill/Peoplestown feeds into a better school cluster than West End/Westview.
The SE trail may be several years off, but the Glennwood development will give that area closer retail access. Also, the transformation of Memorial Dr will positively impact that area too.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I think a mini "Atlantic Station II" would be a good fit for the West End Mall site. Throw a Publix in there and they could make a killing... What do you guys think?
The surrounding areas do not have high enough income for Publix to locate a store there.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The surrounding areas do not have high enough income for Publix to locate a store there.
One would hope that would change in the future. I know that is the rationale for the Kroger next to Glenwood Park. But I find it hard to believe that the Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park incomes are so much lower than the areas surrounding the East Lake Publix (which was establish some years ago), or the one at Piedmont and North Ave., or even the areas surrounding the Publix's on Panola Rd. or Wesley Chapel near Lithonia...

But at the end of the day,I really think a Auburn Curb Market type of spot (with other stuff around it) would serve the West End Mall area best.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
One would hope that would change in the future. I know that is the rationale for the Kroger next to Glenwood Park. But I find it hard to believe that the Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park incomes are so much lower than the areas surrounding the East Lake Publix (which was establish some years ago), or the one at Piedmont and North Ave., or even the areas surrounding the Publix's on Panola Rd. or Wesley Chapel near Lithonia...

But at the end of the day,I really think a Auburn Curb Market type of spot (with other stuff around it) would serve the West End Mall area best.
I was referring to West End, but the areas you suggested may not meet Publix's requirements. East Lake Publix was backed by Big Daddy Cousins.
MARTA has pop up farmers markets at the West End every week. Fresh MARTA Market | Community Farmers Markets

Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM

222 posts, read 243,007 times
I think West End/Adair Park area is going to see massive improvement over Summerhill/Peoplestown in the short term for various reasons. Long-term both areas will see similar success. As cqholt suggested public schools will help summerhill/peoplestown out, but i think home owners looking for successful school districts will seek more stable Eastside neighborhoods for the next 10+ years.

1) Access to Summerhill/Peoplestown via I-20 and I-75/85 is just poorly designed
2) West End/Adair Park is near the current beltline construction (completion within 2 years)
3) Plans for Turner field are at least 5 years from completion and I think that it will likely be closer to 10 years because the current construction and economic development trends (imo) will fade and end within the next 2-3 years, if not prior.
4) The continued growth of the city core hinges on overall economic conditions and improvement of public policies (transportation initiatives, etc.) and unfortunately at this time the city and state continue to drop the ball
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: