Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:05 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Now that's the funniest thing I heard all week...I'm sure you learned tons of internet hip-hop history via Wikipedia, google, youtube and Jeff Chang's books. I actually lived and still live it. Myself and my peers growing up are the foundation of the culture. We were at the block parties and the park jams before there were actual records, we were dubbing and passing around the cassettes of the Cold Crush 4 and Treacherous Three from spots like Harlem World before rap records, we were rocking shelltoes, cazal glasses, lee suits before RUN DMC drop Sucker MCs and My Adidas, I was at the first screening of Wild Style back in 1983 up in Times Square (40 doo-wop) with Grandmaster Flash DJing in the movie theatre. From the Funhouse, to the Roxy, to the Fever, to the Rooftop, to the Latin Quarter, to Union Square to the Tunnel or just kicking it up at Willie Burgers up on 145th and 8th ave...where were you? In Chicago, Atlanta or Dallas? All cool places, but none of them are ground zero for the culture of hip-hop. Remain in your lane playboy, this ain't no second-hand smoke...I do this
Not really cause nothing change the fact your uneducated and bias about the diversity of hip hip. I generally know more about Hip Hop then you. It's very obvious. I actually took a lot of music classes studying music in general. as well as a major Hip hop head, the difference from me and you I'm not narrow minded. Which lead me to learn about the culture not only how it spread across the US by how it spread across the world.

You said hip hop died around "95" by logic your including the late 80's and early 90's NY Hip hop scene but by that time the culture was very different from the late 70's and early 80's so clearly are contradicting yourself, And just made exception for New York.....

Just Cause Hip hop started in New York doesn't change the fact the culture evolved and change in New York by the 90's also. therefore if your talking how Hip hop has change from early hip hop "the Cold Crush 4 and Treacherous Three" it doesn't just exclude other cities like you want...... but it would exclude everything in New York scene itself after the late 80's. And certainly the early 90's. You can't have it both ways you doing this cause your bias.

So if you want to call early 90's NY sound Hip Hop you would have to called the diversity of Hip Hop in different cities and it's evolution to continue to reflect street culture all Hip hop "Play boy"

---------------------------------

Rock music started in the South but spread to many different cities,

Punk Rock is rock, there cultural idea to Punk Rock. It was a huge scene in NY and London. Now it's very different from the rock that was in the south a few decades earlier by never less Rock. Culture evolve and change.

Same thing with Metal, and 80's Rock in LA sunset strip.
Same thing with Grunge in Seattle.
Same thing with psychedelic rock in San Francisco

Jazz the same thing, their's a distinct New Orleans Jazz sound some called it Dixieland. but Jazz spread to NY, Chicago, Kansas City and etc they have on distinct sound, soon you had Swing, bebop Cool Jazz, and etc.

My point was a lot of what you see in Hip hop culture today was the underground culture of Hip Hop in the south that was bubbling since the late 80's and early 90's. So it's like something that was a grass root movement that became mainstream hip hop.

Also there an ignorance of trying to marginalized some southern rappers as materialistic, just rapping about partying and not lyrical..... why? Because early Hip Hop in NY the Bronx was materialistic, just rapping about partying and actually way less lyrical than some southern rappers are now. So it becomes Ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 03:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
You are absolutely correct, NYers are bias. Hip-hop culture is in our DNA, so it's hard to accept some of the music that we hear today. Coming up the art of MC'ing was about lyrical skill, the content as well as folw, and the poetry of it. You have to be honest that a lot of that is missing in today's music. Currently my favorite rapper is Jay Electronica who is from New Orleans, because he respects and represents the art of MC'ing, I just wish he would finally drop an album. Growing up in NYC (in some hoods) we didn't choose hip-hop, it chose us. That's why we are so protective of the culture.

My apologies for my bias, but that's just what it is...

On another note, I hate "smooth jazz" too...its an abomination
No it wasn't

Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang, Fab Five Freddy, Run DMC, Cold Crush, Afrika Bambaataa and etc were not lyrical rappers

Their flow are literally more simplistic than Future, Rich homie Quan and etc.

If you from that era went to those block parties, you should know that rappers started off as just hype man for DJ's, than started making simplistic rhymes to hype crowds.

It wasn't until the late 80's with Rakkm that lyricism Change in Hip Hop, by then lyricism became a strive for East Coast rappers. rolling in the 90's. And that's my point 90's NY lyricism it's not actually the original Hip Hop that was started in Bronx and was in NY through the late 70's to the late 80's. New Yorker contradict themselves to criticize the south.

So it's a paradox your trying say to " whodini" and "fatboy" are lyrical but Future is not. He flow is actually more difficult then theirs.

New Yorker form this habbit of comparing everything to NY 90's scene, by the 90's New York was all lyricism. The music became gritty and Jazz influence, then say NY is birth place of hip hop as if the late 70's and early 80's NY Hip hop was lyrical or had the same production.

Otherwise 90's New York sound is no more or less connected to NY late 70's Hip Hop.
Than the 90's South and West sound are connected to NY late 70's Hip Hop. ironic.
90's New York sound is irrvant to the 90's South and West sound.

Southern Hop Hop introduction was though early NY rappers. When NY rap was less lyrical and party focus. Early 90's NY lyricism is something that happen after Hip Hop already spread to the south and west. So the culture grew in relation to that.

So like wise is Future as lyrical as 90's Wu tang clan........ No. but 80's Afrika Bambaataa..... yes.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Not really cause nothing change the fact your uneducated and bias about the diversity of hip hip. I generally know more about Hip Hop then you. It's very obvious. I actually took a lot of music classes studying music in general. as well as a major Hip hop head, the difference from me and you I'm not narrow minded. Which lead me to learn about the culture not only how it spread across the US by how it spread across the world.

You said hip hop died around "95" by logic your including the late 80's and early 90's NY Hip hop scene but by that time the culture was very different from the late 70's and early 80's so clearly are contradicting yourself, And just made exception for New York.....

Just Cause Hip hop started in New York doesn't change the fact the culture evolved and change in New York by the 90's also. therefore if your talking how Hip hop has change from early hip hop "the Cold Crush 4 and Treacherous Three" it doesn't just exclude other cities like you want...... but it would exclude everything in New York scene itself after the late 80's. And certainly the early 90's. You can't have it both ways you doing this cause your bias.

So if you want to call early 90's NY sound Hip Hop you would have to called the diversity of Hip Hop in different cities and it's evolution to continue to reflect street culture all Hip hop "Play boy"

---------------------------------

Rock music started in the South but spread to many different cities,

Punk Rock is rock, there cultural idea to Punk Rock. It was a huge scene in NY and London. Now it's very different from the rock that was in the south a few decades earlier by never less Rock. Culture evolve and change.

Same thing with Metal, and 80's Rock in LA sunset strip.
Same thing with Grunge in Seattle.
Same thing with psychedelic rock in San Francisco

Jazz the same thing, their's a distinct New Orleans Jazz sound some called it Dixieland. but Jazz spread to NY, Chicago, Kansas City and etc they have on distinct sound, soon you had Swing, bebop Cool Jazz, and etc.

My point was a lot of what you see in Hip hop culture today was the underground culture of Hip Hop in the south that was bubbling since the late 80's and early 90's. So it's like something that was a grass root movement that became mainstream hip hop.

Also there an ignorance of trying to marginalized some southern rappers as materialistic, just rapping about partying and not lyrical..... why? Because early Hip Hop in NY the Bronx was materialistic, just rapping about partying and actually way less lyrical than some southern rappers are now. So it becomes Ironic.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah...just like I thought. A bunch of wikipedia quotes, and internet stats. I lived it, and live it...you research and regurgitate it.

"Your not a hip-hop head, you just play one on TV"

Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No it wasn't

Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang, Fab Five Freddy, Run DMC, Cold Crush, Afrika Bambaataa and etc were not lyrical rappers

Their flow are literally more simplistic than Future, Rich homie Quan and etc.

If you from that era went to those block parties, you should know that rappers started off as just hype man for DJ's, than started making simplistic rhymes to hype crowds.

It wasn't until the late 80's with Rakkm that lyricism Change in Hip Hop, by then lyricism became a strive for East Coast rappers. rolling in the 90's. And that's my point 90's NY lyricism it's not actually the original Hip Hop that was started in Bronx and was in NY through the late 70's to the late 80's. New Yorker contradict themselves to criticize the south.

So it's a paradox your trying say to " whodini" and "fatboy" are lyrical but Future is not. He flow is actually more difficult then theirs.

New Yorker form this habbit of comparing everything to NY 90's scene, by the 90's New York was all lyricism. The music became gritty and Jazz influence, then say NY is birth place of hip hop as if the late 70's and early 80's NY Hip hop was lyrical or had the same production.

Otherwise 90's New York sound is no more or less connected to NY late 70's Hip Hop.
Than the 90's South and West sound are connected to NY late 70's Hip Hop. ironic.
90's New York sound is irrvant to the 90's South and West sound.

Southern Hop Hop introduction was though early NY rappers. When NY rap was less lyrical and party focus. Early 90's NY lyricism is something that happen after Hip Hop already spread to the south and west. So the culture grew in relation to that.

So like wise is Future as lyrical as 90's Wu tang clan........ No. but 80's Afrika Bambaataa..... yes.
Zzzz Zzzzz Zzzzz...I'm surprised you haven't put yourself to sleep with all of those your stats, and your 3rd party experiences, and 3rd party knowledge.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:40 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Kanye West was born in Atlanta
And usher was born in Dallas.

Chiatldal, I think you're focusing on the music aspect. When you take in all of the elements of hip hop and the culture, it's hard to take that away from NYC.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
I know this thread started as a troll thread to annoy members who are not fans of current ATL rap music. Its becoming really embarrassing to read. The Country, Rock, Gospel, Jazz and Pop fans dont really behave like this guys. Why does it have to be a d!ck measuring contest because TonyGeorgia is all in his feelings about local rap music? You guys are making all the heads look bad. Listen to what you like, buy the songs you like. Dont argue about it. Talk with your wallet if you like weasel rap or drug dealer rap fine, when you get paid go out and download it. The same goes for the old school purist, buy what you like...

Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I only like materialistic rap from certain artist. Rick Ross and Jay Z being two of the best at it imo. Some of these guys remind me of the weasels from Roger Rabbit when they rap and the subject matter is very limited. What are you riding to right now glovenyc? What do you have in the deck?
I've been listening to a lot of Sean Price lately (RIP). I'm a big Jay Electronica fan, hoping that he finally drops an album soon. Otherwise just recycling good hip-hop music from the past. Also listen a lot of Afrobeat (Fela Kuti), and a lot of obscure soul and funky jazz as well as some straight-ahead jazz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta