Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Interstates are pretty worthless if you can't get on or off of them. Those ramps "only existing since the 90's" is what, 25 years longer than the Beltline has been around? The ramps at both Moreland and Boluevard are already shatshows, and getting from Memorial or Glenwood onto or off of either of those roads is equally infuriating.
There are two different ways to get on I20 within a mile of that exit, and people don't need the interstate for day to day activities anyway, especially in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
One question, who is Bill Kennedy?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
One question, who is Bill Kennedy?
GT | Georgia Institute of Technology -

Quote:
William Franklin Kennedy, Jr., was born in Decatur, Georgia, and grew up with his four siblings in Stone Mountain. His interest in Atlanta began at an early age, frequently visiting the city and studying its buildings and attractions. After earning a bachelor’s degree in political science from Georgia State University, he went on to Georgia Institute of Technology where he completed the coursework for a master’s degree in city planning.

From 1961 through 1995 Bill worked in the City of Atlanta’s Department of Planning, serving the last 15 years as the city’s zoning administrator. A strong advocate for neighborhoods, he was a leading force in establishing Atlanta’s Neighborhood Planning Unit program, which gave neighborhoods a voice in the growth of their communities. After retiring from the city, he consulted on major planning and zoning projects throughout the metropolitan area and served as an expert witness in many zoning cases, often donating his time to non-profit groups.

Throughout his career, regardless of what position others took on any issue, they always had great respect for Bill’s vision, his ability to grasp and simplify complicated issues, his fairness, his compassion and his unquestionable integrity.

Bill was an active member of several professional and preservation organizations and spoke at many national conventions. Bill loved to explore cities around the world. After retiring from the city, he generally traveled abroad two or three times a year throughout Europe and China. He was so thorough in his preparation before visiting a city that on his first trip to Rome he conducted a walking tour for a group of tourists he encountered.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There are two different ways to get on I20 within a mile of that exit, and people don't need the interstate for day to day activities anyway, especially in the city.
Newsflash: not everyone can use the fancy sidewalk to get to work, which I'd consider a day-to-day activity.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Newsflash: not everyone can use the fancy sidewalk to get to work, which I'd consider a day-to-day activity.
Interstate and sidewalk are not the only two travel options.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They probably also don't have an extra hours in their day to make multiple transfers each way on MARTA. The shortest public transportation from my office to our house there would take 1hr42min per Google. It was a 20 minute drive. Sorry, but I'd rather spend an extra three hours at home with my family than sitting on a bus. And I'd rather live in Atlanta than Clayton county. And I like(d) that job a lot. Guess that makes me a bad millennial or something.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Exactly.

There is no "bike-only" crowd. However, there seems to be a very strong "cars-only" crowd.

We are not saying we need to ban cars from Atlanta. We are saying there should be at least one safe non-car crossing of I-20 from SE ATL.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Exactly.

There is no "bike-only" crowd. However, there seems to be a very strong "cars-only" crowd.

We are not saying we need to ban cars from Atlanta. We are saying there should be at least one safe non-car crossing of I-20 from SE ATL.
If the criteria is protecting cyclists/pedestrians from exiting I-20 traffic, then why stop at BK Way then? How about closing the Boulevard, Hill Street, Moreland, and Maynard Terrace exits as well?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
They probably also don't have an extra hours in their day to make multiple transfers each way on MARTA. The shortest public transportation from my office to our house there would take 1hr42min per Google. It was a 20 minute drive. Sorry, but I'd rather spend an extra three hours at home with my family than sitting on a bus. And I'd rather live in Atlanta than Clayton county. And I like(d) that job a lot. Guess that makes me a bad millennial or something.
My point was that, for cars, surface streets also exist. People who "need' interstates on a day to day basis are very unlikely to be using the off-ramp at Bill Kennedy. People who use that ramp have lots of other options for getting around town.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Exactly.

Clifton St SE offers a safe route across I-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta