Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:11 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It just north of the congestion caused by the Grady Curve and it is where 85 and 75 merge.
Traffic is part of it but there's also the herd mentality that prevails in commercial real estate.

A developer puts up a tower in a formerly remote location (e.g., the IBM tower on 14th Street or Tower Place in Buckhead), and then seeks to create the buzz that this is the new "in" location. "This area (fill in the blank) is on fire!"

Another developer or two jumps in and soon the stampede is underway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Traffic is part of it but there's also the herd mentality that prevails in commercial real estate.

A developer puts up a tower in a formerly remote location (e.g., the IBM tower on 14th Street or Tower Place in Buckhead), and then seeks to create the buzz that this is the new "in" location. "This area (fill in the blank) is on fire!"

Another developer or two jumps in and soon the stampede is underway.
Not everywhere, why didn't Northlake explode as am edge city then?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Not everywhere, why didn't Northlake explode as am edge city then?
Not every venture will be a home run, cq, but that's often how the momentum builds.

Northlake has actually been pretty successful, though. It probably has 10 million sf of office space and tons of retail.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not every venture will be a home run, cq, but that's often how the momentum builds.

Northlake has actually been pretty successful, though. It probably has 10 million sf of office space and tons of retail.
You just said in your previous post that a developer creates a buzz and others jump in, but that did not happen at Northlake. Curious as to what the vacancy rate is in that submarket.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You just said in your previous post that a developer creates a buzz and others jump in, but that did not happen at Northlake. Curious as to what the vacancy rate is in that submarket.
According to Brannen Goddard, Northlake has 18.6 million sf of office space and a 13.7% vacancy rate.

It's a relatively small market for Class A space, but it's very popular with middle of the road businesses who aren't concerned with a "marquee" presence.

2d Quarter 2015 Atlanta Office Market Review

Last edited by arjay57; 10-14-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Downtown needs more nightlife, and art related stuff it would be more attractive at least to people.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Downtown needs more nightlife, and art related stuff it would be more attractive at least to people.
I think it does have that, but it needs the other stuff to balance it out.

For instance, I went to something called the human circus or something like that which I could best describe as not artsy fartsy but eclectic. There was quite a good menu for food, a nice rocker serving drinks, a west indian dj on the patio, paintings for sale, people sketching the contortionists, bad parking, something I'm still not clear of going on across the street, etc. Oh, and a clean restroom to be shared by all.

Can't say I didn't have a good time, but I did have to chuckle at one point because there was without question a whole lot going on. I think downtown is rife with places like that and even places on the higher end of the spectrum, but it has to have the other stuff too for it to be livable.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Downtown is kind of like a broken Bourbon Street mixed with the CBD. Since Buckhead gave up its party district for retail, it could be revived in Downtown. It looks like a better fit.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I think it does have that, but it needs the other stuff to balance it out.

For instance, I went to something called the human circus or something like that which I could best describe as not artsy fartsy but eclectic. There was quite a good menu for food, a nice rocker serving drinks, a west indian dj on the patio, paintings for sale, people sketching the contortionists, bad parking, something I'm still not clear of going on across the street, etc. Oh, and a clean restroom to be shared by all.

Can't say I didn't have a good time, but I did have to chuckle at one point because there was without question a whole lot going on. I think downtown is rife with places like that and even places on the higher end of the spectrum, but it has to have the other stuff too for it to be livable.
Downtown Atlanta is filled with life, but it (and Atlanta in general) have always lacked one big thing for city life. Twenty-four hour activity is one of the keys to urbanity. In NY, you can go out at 3:30 in the morning and buy a toilet. Lots of places remain open all the time. Now, that is the extreme end of the spectrum and few cities can come close to NY. However, other cities have achieved some semblance of late night life. Restaurants and bars open really late. Stores open late. People going into and out of cafes and hotels late. When you have people on the streets and in the shops, cafe's, and hotels at all hours it reduces vagrancy and crime. The vagrancy and crime hold Downtown back. This is purely anecdotal, but many professional people have told me they felt more unsafe in central Atlanta than they did anywhere else due to panhandling, crime, drug dealing, homeless people pooping in the bushes, etc. We may morally be required to do something with these people to prevent them from freezing to death, but it doesn't have to be smack in the middle of downtown.

If Atlanta could clean up and liven up, it might stand a chance at attracting GE or some other big corporate entity.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It does have nightlife, see Edgewood Ave in Sweet Auburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta