Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times

Advertisements

I've been here eight years (from the pacific northwest). Enjoyed the first several summers but now the humidity and bugs are just brutal to be honest. Fall and Spring are awesome but its a real bummer being limited with regards to outdoor activities during the summer when the days are longer.

Atlanta has a lot going for it and compared to most of the country (outside the west coast humidity is an issue many places to some degree) does just fine on the weather argument but you know its on people's minds when you hear natives constantly complaining about the humidity and telling you "we just go from our a/c car to our a/c office etc"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
I was raised in coastal southern California, but managed to transition to Atlanta's climate without too much difficulty. After living in scorching Austin, TX for five years, Atlanta's summers are not that extreme, just persistently warm and humid. I like how our precipitation is fairly well distributed year round, so the surroundings remain lush and green most of the time. In Austin the rainfall was far more erratic and the landscape would often turn brown in the heat of late summer.

But occasional getaways to the comparative warmth and sunshine of Florida or similar destinations in the winter are a pleasure ... Atlanta is better than much of the nation but winter is hands down my least favorite time of year in the area. Overall Atlanta and other cities near the southern end of the Appalachians probably have about the most moderate, balanced climate that exists in the eastern two-thirds of the US.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
With the exceptions of Sandy and a couple other hurricanes, the quiet hurricane seasons that we've had for the last several years worry me. It's like we're overdue for a bad season. And worse, people get complacent when there hasn't been any trouble in awhile.

Note, BTW, that globally, hurricanes are not down, particularly in the Western Pacific, where they have endured some nasty typhoons in recent years.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:07 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I think the weather in Metro Atlanta is hype. Honestly, not enough sunshine, and it does gets cold here. Also, we have too many days where it's grey and depressing and I'm not talking about recently. I've really taken notice the last 5+ years and we have a lot of precipitation here. It's not like in other places (More so FL), where you can have precip, and it clears and the sun comes out. Ours lingers for days and days. I think cities in the south with better weather are of course ORL, MIA, but even Houston. More sun, and true milder winter.
You do have a point. Although the "greyness" here is nothing like San Francisco.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I was raised in coastal southern California, but managed to transition to Atlanta's climate without too much difficulty. After living in scorching Austin, TX for five years, Atlanta's summers are not that extreme, just persistently warm and humid. I like how our precipitation is fairly well distributed year round, so the surroundings remain lush and green most of the time. In Austin the rainfall was far more erratic and the landscape would often turn brown in the heat of late summer.

But occasional getaways to the comparative warmth and sunshine of Florida or similar destinations in the winter are a pleasure ... Atlanta is better than much of the nation but winter is hands down my least favorite time of year in the area. Overall Atlanta and other cities near the southern end of the Appalachians probably have about the most moderate, balanced climate that exists in the eastern two-thirds of the US.
Interesting to hear someone from coastal southern California compliment Atanta's weather! One season not mentioned was fall. How is fall in Atlanta?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Interesting to hear someone from coastal southern California compliment Atanta's weather! One season not mentioned was fall. How is fall in Atlanta?
Fall is great the majority of the time in Atlanta! As a whole, conditions in spring are similar but fall tends to be a little drier, sunnier and less humid on average, with a lower incidence of severe weather. The leaves typically transition for a couple weeks in early November, with a canopy of bright colors ... yellow, orange, red, etc. so it is often very scenic.

Currently I see that southern California is having yet another heat wave. While we get plenty of temperatures in the 90s in Atlanta, at least that is virtually unheard of in October!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:27 PM

341 posts, read 708,281 times
I've come to realize it's a very moderate, comfortable climate here. How you ask?.... by comparing it to other areas for a frame of reference. Atlanta is nice, moderate , four season climate. Spring and Fall is nice. Winters fairly mild compared to northern locales, even though we do get some cold days. Summer, while hot and humid, can certainly be worse. Think .... Houston, New Orleans. It's rare to get temps routinely in the mid 90's here. Even with the humidity, that's not bad at all. I moved here from Los Angeles and thought I was hating life the first couple years here. But when comparing to other worse weather places (New England, upper Midwest, Great Plains, Houston/Dallas, Phoenix), this is a piece of cake. It's all relative.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Blech, this week not doing much to make Atlanta weather seem any nicer!

At least we should be in for a decent couple of weeks after tomorrow. If our weather can accurately be predicted, which we all know it can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta