Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times

Advertisements

Since it's been determined that it's perfectly safe now, OP might be taken for a prospective gentrifier while "scrolling" through the various bluff/blight properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM

248 posts, read 175,161 times
Swing by Hank Aaron Drive, Cleveland Ave, McDaniel St, MLK on the Westside, then call it a day at Perkerson Park if you wanna go through the trenches.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
Swing by Hank Aaron Drive, Cleveland Ave, McDaniel St, MLK on the Westside, then call it a day at Perkerson Park if you wanna go through the trenches.
i've never had a problem in any of those places. mcdaniel street was depressing, to see that there are people in this city that really live in abject poverty. the rest of those places i've actually walked around and am pretty familiar with.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 AM

248 posts, read 175,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i've never had a problem in any of those places. mcdaniel street was depressing, to see that there are people in this city that really live in abject poverty. the rest of those places i've actually walked around and am pretty familiar with.
So have I, these are the front streets, he can venture to the back streets/hood spots if he pleases

Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The Law of City Data: The more that a person compares neighborhoods of a U.S. city to a "third world country," the lower the chances that that person has ever actually visited that neighborhood OR any third-world country.

I don't understand why so many people are comfortable shooting their mouths off about things they are completely ignorant about.

It's not third world. It's the inevitable byproduct of the capitalist "American dream." We have no problem with concentrations of wealth, but we complain about concentrations of poverty. And no one who complains about it is doing anything to change it.
OMG so true.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
I'm talking just driving through ghetto areas like Bankhead, English Avenue and Vine City (The Bluff), East Lake Meadows. I'm very curious about these areas since Atlanta hoods are a bit famous in a way . I'm not going get out of my car. Is this too dangerous of an idea?
Why exactly would you want to do this? Fascination? To "see what life is like on the other side"?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:28 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I thuoght the same thing when initially reading this comment. Many people here are speaking of people and neighborhoods like these people are an exhibit to them of a zoo.

Reminds me of how whites in Europe used to bring ethnic people, including Africans and other people of color to their cities and set up a community for them to gawk at.

It seems to me that too many people view American neighborhoods to be filled with "different" sorts of people and it is pretty....I can only say indicative of a lot of white supremacy minded ideas in regards to them wanting to look at ghetto blacks in action and to create stereotypes of whole communities based on movies and music videos.

I remember a while ago, you posting a similar thread whereas you drove through the neighborhood.

Pray tell, how many people jumped on your car and tried to attack you in the bluff. How do you know that there was a house that was "shot up" in the neighborhood.

As stated, I lived in the neighborhood for 7 years. I saw a lot of abandoned and burned out houses, but none that were "shot up." There are heroine addicts in the neighborhood but the majority of people who live in the area are not addicts and are either renters or long term owner occupants.

It is pretty sad IMO how scary and prejudicial Americans are when it comes to the poor and especially to black poor people.

There are many people who drive through Vine City and English Avenue every day and nothing happens to them. You are more dangerous driving on Spaghetti Juntion or on various freeways in Atlanta where there is a high chance you will be killed or maimed in a car crash.
They even had them in human zoos too. The images are disgusting to put it lightly.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 AM

114 posts, read 134,744 times
Nothing to do with people. I just like looking at ghetto environments, neighborhoods, houses for some reason. I find some strange beauty when I look at such places. As an analogy, its like looking at apocalyptic art, or visiting ruins. Its not as if I am ignorant about the people. I am pretty aware that a lot of people who are living in such areas are struggling to get out of that kind of life, or are simply trying to survive.

Its crazy how easily people take things out of context and assume prejudice or racist intentions.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Nothing to do with people. I just like looking at ghetto environments, neighborhoods, houses for some reason. I find some strange beauty when I look at such places. As an analogy, its like looking at apocalyptic art, or visiting ruins. Its not as if I am ignorant about the people. I am pretty aware that a lot of people who are living in such areas are struggling to get out of that kind of life, or are simply trying to survive.

Its crazy how easily people take things out of context and assume prejudice or racist intentions.
Can you post pictures of your adventures in the HOOD?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Well there is outward racism (the N word variety) and latent racism caused by societal prejudices. The belief that you will be attacked on sight in a neighborhood is based in latent racism. Why else would random strangers attack you if you do not have any conflict with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta