Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The total cost is around $1800 and you own it after that. So at this point you're really just at break even....
Only if you think the value of the washer and dryer that Aarons supplies you with is worth $1800. Which I can guarantee you it isn't. You'd pay $1800 for a basic top loader and dryer from Aarons, but I bet for a little over $1000 you could go to Sears scratch & dent and come home with a great front loader and high capacity washer. Even if you went to a big box retailer, you could get a mack daddy combination for $1800. If you think $1800 is break even for the system that Aarons rents you, I just don't even know what to say. The gear Aaron's supplies you with could easily be purchased brand new for about $800, and I guarantee you it isn't brand new when they bring it to you. This isn't high level math.

Quote:
... and if you do select laundry you might end up with 12 year old rental that isn't too far from its last leg for 2 years vs. a new product.
Do you really think that the washer and dryer Aarons brings to you are new products? If so, then what do they do with all the products that people return after leasing? I've never rented from Aarons, so I could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess that the stuff they bring you is rarely brand new.

Quote:
You keep failing to mention this rent to own philosophy in your comparison....
No I don't. It's rent to own, I get it. My point is that you can rent from a cheaper company, and STILL save enough money to buy your very own set at the end of the rental term. That's how much Aarons jacks up its prices. Rent to own is a terrible deal.

Quote:
Select Laundry, in the mean time, has many reviews talking about how bad the washers and driers are
Select Laundry is just the first company I came up with doing a quick Google search. Obviously, every person has to do his own research and find a quality company to work with. When I rented, I used a company called WEB. I never had a problem, they seemed fine enough, dealt with them for 4 years, but I can't find them anymore. I'm sure they still exist, probably just use a different name. I think the apartment rental office gave me their name, but they also rented to me when living in a private townhouse.

Quote:
So really what this comes down to is if you just need a short-term rental or you're looking to own. You're trying to compare two different companies offering different products.
Sorry for the confusion, let me clear it up: renting to own is NEVER A GOOD DEAL. If you are going to be somewhere very short term, you're better off doing a pure rental. If you just can't afford nice stuff, you're better off picking up stuff at Goodwill and sitting on cinder blocks and saving all the money you'd be throwing at Aarons. You'll be able to BUY OUTRIGHT much better stuff after a little time than you'd get from Aarons for WAY LESS money.

But you don't have to listen to me.

Consumer Reports wrote up how the model works and why it is only for suckers: Is rent-to-own right for you? Consumer Reports investigates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
It also pays a whopping share of the city's taxes and funds a lot of its charities, museums, hospitals, etc.
I don't doubt that and it's unfortunate that the city had to create a suburb. Ultimately that's not what I was talking about so your point is irrelevant.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Buckhead is one of the most powerful forces in the city and has a lot of powerful active members including former mayors. Many of them would probably be pretty insulted to be called Atlanta in "name only" considering all they do for the city.

You might be confusing them with the "Atlanta" Braves.
That's some good fake outrage, but Atlantans should be insulted at Buckhead. There is no excuse for a large suburban style growth area like that.

Insulted indeed.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Also, the location of the Braves is irrelevant for them to be Atlanta. It's marketing. That's all. Many pro teams are not in the city limits. The location in general is not what is absurd. However, the location the Braves picked is ridiculous given the lack of infrastructure and transit to accommodate it all. Worse yet, is that Tuner Field isn't even 20 years old.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I never understood where the "Buckhead isn't part of Atlanta" meme came from. Hipsters?
Nobody is saying that "buckhead isn't part of Atlanta."

What do "hipsters" have to do with anything..????

Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That's some good fake outrage, but Atlantans should be insulted at Buckhead. There is no excuse for a large suburban style growth area like that.

Insulted indeed.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:

Insulted indeed.
People like elbow room. Atlantans started settling in Buckhead, Druid Hills, Ansley, Inman Park, Virginia Highland and other suburbs in the early part of the 20th century. Many, many other suburbs grew up all over town and the city is still mainly composed of single family neighborhoods.

That's pretty common in many cities. Why is it insulting?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

Insulted indeed.
It's regrettable that the modern commercial core of Buckhead took on a more autocentric built form, but no, it's nothing to be insulted by. The positives of Buckhead far outweigh the negatives and Atlanta is a much better city with Buckhead than without it.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
People like elbow room. Atlantans started settling in Buckhead, Druid Hills, Ansley, Inman Park, Virginia Highland and other suburbs in the early part of the 20th century. Many, many other suburbs grew up all over town and the city is still mainly composed of single family neighborhoods.
Because you have massive amount of land (primarily around Paces Ferry up to 285) that isn't even suburban, let alone urban. It's vast lots for miles and then in the commercial corridor, it has built up, but it's not an area meant to accommodate such growth and is car oriented. It's not city oriented much at all.

Yes it has MARTA access, but the area is an infrastructure mess. Atlanta does have many good neighborhoods and Buckhead has some good neighborhoods south of the commercial area (Garden Hills, Ptree Hills etc) but it's not a model for city oriented growth. It's the opposite.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Only if you think the value of the washer and dryer that Aarons supplies you with is worth $1800. Which I can guarantee you it isn't. You'd pay $1800 for a basic top loader and dryer from Aarons, but I bet for a little over $1000 you could go to Sears scratch & dent and come home with a great front loader and high capacity washer. Even if you went to a big box retailer, you could get a mack daddy combination for $1800. If you think $1800 is break even for the system that Aarons rents you, I just don't even know what to say. The gear Aaron's supplies you with could easily be purchased brand new for about $800, and I guarantee you it isn't brand new when they bring it to you. This isn't high level math.

Do you really think that the washer and dryer Aarons brings to you are new products? If so, then what do they do with all the products that people return after leasing? I've never rented from Aarons, so I could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess that the stuff they bring you is rarely brand new.

No I don't. It's rent to own, I get it. My point is that you can rent from a cheaper company, and STILL save enough money to buy your very own set at the end of the rental term. That's how much Aarons jacks up its prices. Rent to own is a terrible deal.

Select Laundry is just the first company I came up with doing a quick Google search. Obviously, every person has to do his own research and find a quality company to work with. When I rented, I used a company called WEB. I never had a problem, they seemed fine enough, dealt with them for 4 years, but I can't find them anymore. I'm sure they still exist, probably just use a different name. I think the apartment rental office gave me their name, but they also rented to me when living in a private townhouse.

Sorry for the confusion, let me clear it up: renting to own is NEVER A GOOD DEAL. If you are going to be somewhere very short term, you're better off doing a pure rental. If you just can't afford nice stuff, you're better off picking up stuff at Goodwill and sitting on cinder blocks and saving all the money you'd be throwing at Aarons. You'll be able to BUY OUTRIGHT much better stuff after a little time than you'd get from Aarons for WAY LESS money.

But you don't have to listen to me.

Consumer Reports wrote up how the model works and why it is only for suckers: Is rent-to-own right for you? Consumer Reports investigates
Please go back and at least try to read my prior post more carefully.

I have already gone over some of this.

I adaquetly showed you how your suggestion was just as expensive and has other pitfalls. You option, as presented, would have cost around $1800 in the end too. Aaron's also has cheaper options when they sell/rent-to-own pre-leased items, compared to new equipment (where that $1800 was for a new set after 2 years).

Yes, some people could forgo a washer and dryer for a while and save up for a scratch in dent... many people do and it is a decent option people always should consider. However, a family can easily spend $60+/month to a laundramat as previously presented with the added costs of time lost.

Remember, the added costs comes down to risk of the consumer and some are very risky. You also have to analyze the cost/benefit to the consumer also has to account for the opportunity costs (ie. How much does it cost to do laundry when you can't get a loan or you're rebuilding credit and need a safe way to potentially back out later plus the added cost of buying later? As previously laid out, this too is an expensive proposition for many). The riskier the consumer, the higher the rates. You're not doing that very well and you're glossing over it... probably because your feet are not in their shoes.

Yes, as I have already mentioned, this is not for everyone... they are primarily marketing to people who would not be served otherwise due to horrible credit. They are primarily marketing to people who would need to spend their money in other ways (ie. Laundramat) that makes paying more overall, yet little bits at a time more attractive.

I'm not arguing everyone should go to Aaron's, but the more aggressive parts of opinions are simply incorrect. The problem is you are forgetting the reality and context of the situation for certain people, risky people, that bring higher costs to doing business. Those people still have needs and would have other expenses otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta