Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Cool, then you understand that, by putting more housing on the site, average prices are lower than putting a single home there.
The thing is, if you stack 80 condos on the same lot and charge $1 million apiece for them you aren't really bringing down the price of housing.

fourthwarden, to shift gears a little bit, what are some successful examples of the affordable housing you'd like to see in the ATL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:36 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,025 times
The new condos and apartment towers that are being built have an array of great amenities. The problem is that after having spent so much on including these, they don't seem to have enough money to ensure good soundproofing between apartments. Instead the walls are paper thin, and one learns a lot more about what your neighbors are saying and doing...than one would like! You wouldn't think that using better insulation would cost that much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for this link, missed it the first time around. My only gripes.... two prominent parcels going for storage units???
If Americans would stop buying so much crap, there wouldn't be demand for these.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 AM

What cq said.

Also, there's probably not much storage in all these apartments they are slapping up.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If Americans would stop buying so much crap, there wouldn't be demand for these.
Keeps a lot of people employed I guess, our throwaway society. Recently just did a major paring down of my place. Tons of stuff to the dumpster and Goodwill. Feels good to be clutter free.

I can understand the need for these places temporarily, say downsizing and waiting to parcel stuff out to family, or building a new house and having to live in an apartment temporarily... but I also imagine a lot of it is people that have way too much stuff. Ought to follow that maxim about clothes in your closet.... if you haven't worn it in the last year, time to get rid of it.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The thing is, if you stack 80 condos on the same lot and charge $1 million apiece for them you aren't really bringing down the price of housing.
If you are only able to build one housing unit at at least the property price of $18 Million. The average price for housing there is $18 million per unit.

If you are able to build 80 units at $1 million apiece, then your average price for housing is only $1 million per unit.

That's nearly a 95% reduction in housing costs compared to not allowing that density. The more housing you build on the property, the lower unit costs you can justify.

Quote:
fourthwarden, to shift gears a little bit, what are some successful examples of the affordable housing you'd like to see in the ATL?
How many times have I told you, arjay? I'm not answering this question for you again. I'm done running in circles with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Many of these new towers are selling out before they can finish them.

We simply aren't building urban living options fast enough.
Right. This is why prices wouldn't just magically remain low if we didn't allow new housing. There are too many people trying to find a place to live, with far too few options, for prices to come down.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Construction has reached 10 stories at Gables Buckhead, with four more to go. Ultimately, the two towers will stand on either side of a fifth-floor courtyard, complete with pool, dog park, grills, and a movie wall.

The project, first proposed more than three years ago, is slated to bring more than 320 residential units to the neighborhood. Also expect 2,400 square feet of street-level retail.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/12/1...s-construction

Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 AM

new, 24-story apartment tower coming to Buckhead
Quote:
AMLI has filed permits with the City of Atlanta to move forward on its 391-unit project that includes a 24-story high-rise along with a five-story mid-rise. The project is wrapped by a parking deck off of Lakeside Drive and faces Marie Sims Park. The $129M Class-A project, called AMLI Oak Valley, will offer one- to three-bedroom units and will include an assortment of luxury accoutrements, including 10-foot-high ceilings, quartz countertops and floor-to-ceiling windows with views of either the park or the Buckhead skyline, AMLI Vice President Annie Evans said. Amenities include an elevated pool, gardens, outdoor deck grilling and dining, outdoor fitness center and a fitness studio. The project is expected to deliver by the last quarter of 2019.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...-project-83066

Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
new, 24-story apartment tower coming to Buckhead

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...-project-83066
We were over at Marie Sims park and a couple of people told me they like the MARTA access. I think they said they get some kind of a break on the fare.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We were over at Marie Sims park and a couple of people told me they like the MARTA access. I think they said they get some kind of a break on the fare.
Livable Buckhead offers discounted BreezeCards to area employees, maybe the complexes have a deal with them to extend the offer to residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta