Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
So... your argument comes down to the idea that MARTA should spend $1.2 billion NOT to add new riders.

I disagree and think this is absurdly illogical... but I respect your willingness to take a bold stance however nonsensical it is.
My stance is that your ideas that:

1)The new ridership

and

2) The total ridership

Are too low too justify the cost are unfounded since the first on its own meets system averages, and the second vastly surpases that average. Yes new riders are important, but extending mobilty for existing users is also an important aspect of an agency. Not only that, but this option generates new riders to the extent that they, on their own, justify the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 AM

188 posts, read 177,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
My stance is that your ideas that:

1)The new ridership

and

2) The total ridership

Are too low too justify the cost are unfounded since the first on its own meets system averages, and the second vastly surpases that average. Yes new riders are important, but extending mobility for existing users is also an important aspect of an agency. Not only that, but this option generates new riders to the extent that they, on their own, justify the route.
There is no ROI on spending $1.2 billion to allow existing users more mobility. If you are going to drop $1.2 billion, there needs to be huge incremental growth to ridership. If this route doesn't provide new riders, the find an expansion that will. It is this 'non business' mindset that led MARTA into an abyss of red numbers. They start taking a business mindset and listening to the auditor's suggestions and suddenly MARTA is in the black. Don't go back to the old, foolish governmental way of thinking. Run MARTA like a business and make sound financial decisions. This isn't a hard concept.

Plus, MARTA predicted a total of 17,800 boardings daily (in 2030) on the 8.7 miles of rail. That is less than 2,000 boardings per mile of rail. MARTA rail averages about 4,800 riders per mile. Your incorrect assumptions are based on your incorrect math in your previous post. This is very simple math.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:45 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
I think that it is much cheaper to build a light as rail over the ground to avoid any digging and traffic.
There is no progress or development without a good public transportation.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
There is no ROI on spending $1.2 billion to allow existing users more mobility. If you are going to drop $1.2 billion, there needs to be huge incremental growth to ridership. If this route doesn't provide new riders, the find an expansion that will. It is this 'non business' mindset that led MARTA into an abyss of red numbers. They start taking a business mindset and listening to the auditor's suggestions and suddenly MARTA is in the black. Don't go back to the old, foolish governmental way of thinking. Run MARTA like a business and make sound financial decisions. This isn't a hard concept.

Plus, MARTA predicted a total of 17,800 boardings daily (in 2030) on the 8.7 miles of rail. That is less than 2,000 boardings per mile of rail. MARTA rail averages about 4,800 riders per mile. Your incorrect assumptions are based on your incorrect math in your previous post. This is very simple math.
oh, i know who you are— it's gtcorndog guys, he's back!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:

Compare that price to what upgrading all the roads to and from freeways or building a freeway to the area. I am sure the price tags are comparable in that sense.
This large employment center needs rail, because the roads are congested and adding more lanes will not solve the congestion issues.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Still not understanding why exactly the Clifton Corridor NIMBYs don't want heavy rail.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Well, your very simple math is wrong. You're confusing units with one another.

MARTA averages 232,100 riders per week. Divided by the route miles gives you 4879 riders per week per mile. The table on Wikipedia (which is cited from the American Public Transportation Association, gives its units as Average Weekly ridership for the Fourth Quarter, and then divides by the total miles to get the Rider per mile number.

The Clifton Corridor is looking at 17500 daily boardings, which is roughly 8900 riders per day. That's 61250 riders per week. Divided by the route miles gives you 7122 riders per week per mile.

(Note: that this is a bit off from my previous calcs, but only by ~20 riders per mile. That is due to rounding errors int the methods of calcs. Here I converted to days in the week as opposed to days in the year then to weeks in a year)

This is why I show all of my work, with all of the units outlined as I go.

As for ROI, not only is MARTA matching their system's numbers for riders per week per mile on new riders alone (the metric you seem so fixated on) but they are then going to surpass it by nearly twice the riders per week per mile. I see NO reason to restart the whole process of route studies (more millions of $s in design work and studies and surveys and meetings) when they have a route that, right now, will produce ample ridership.

If you are so concerned about the cost of the expansion vs. the ridership, then please, cite your sources, do some correct math, and we can talk rationally about this. Until then, it seems as if all that you are doing is trolling for upset supporters and spreading misinformation. If you're serious, then act like it.

Last edited by fourthwarden; 10-19-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 09:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, your very simple math is wrong. You're confusing units with one another.

MARTA averages 232,100 riders per week. Divided by the route miles gives you 4879 riders per week per mile. The table on Wikipedia (which is cited from the American Public Transportation Association, gives its units as Average Weekly ridership for the Fourth Quarter, and then divides by the total miles to get the Rider per mile number.

The Clifton corridor is looking at 17500 daily boardings, which is roughly 8900 riders per day. That's 61250 riders per week. Divided by the route miles gives you 7122 riders per week per mile.

(Note: that this is a bit off from my previous calcs, but only by ~20 riders per mile. That is due to rounding errors int the methods of calcs. Here I converted to days in the week as opposed to days in the year then to weeks in a year)

This is why I sow all of my work, with all of the units outlined as I go.

As for ROI, not only is MARTA matching their system's numbers for riders per week per mile on new riders alone (the metric you seem so fixated on) but they are then going to surpass it by nearly twice the riders per week per mile. I see NO reason to restart the whole process of route studies (more millions of $s in design work and studies and surveys and meetings) when they have a route that, right now, will produce ample ridership.

If you are so concerned about the cost of the expansion vs. the ridership, then please, cite your sources, do some correct math, and we can talk rationally about this. Until then, it seems as if all that you are doing is trolling for upset supporters and spreading misinformation. If you're serious, then act like it.
Math hurts my brain.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Math hurts my brain.
It's fine, I live and breath this stuff. In the first year of school, we learned the hard way that you always check your units. They will be the first things wrong if you've done a calculation incorrectly.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Wrong fourthwarden, the 232,000 number is ridership per day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta