Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:08 AM

347 posts, read 380,090 times

Advertisements

When the chefs go OTP

"We’re talking, of course, about intown Atlanta chefs and restaurateurs expanding OTP. While that hooped highway known as the perimeter can often feel like a solid wall when it comes to cultural differences, the fact is that literally millions of people live in the suburbs outside 285, all of whom eat and many of whom have the disposable income to eat quite well.

A combination of unprecedented intown restaurant saturation, shifting OTP demographics, real estate development trends and the general rise of gourmet food culture has made the northern suburbs a far more attractive opportunity than it was even a few years ago. For growth-minded restaurateurs, OTP is now the place to be."

I found it to be a pretty insightful piece actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Of course chefs are going to go where the action is.

Shame on the Loaf for trying to continue this ridiculous ITP/OTP nonsense.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

They don't realize they are being condescending. Some of the chefs are as well. Those are the ones that should stay ITP.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
OTP has always had good non-chain restaurants. The snobby ITP crowd is only noticing now because it's foodie places that are popping up OTP.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They don't realize they are being condescending. Some of the chefs are as well. Those are the ones that should stay ITP.
Its just a fact that there are real differences on many levels between ITP/OTP life. Are we supposed to pretend they don't exist? I didn't read one thing in the article that was condescending or inciting antagonism.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
What a ridiculous statement. There are difference between living in midtown or Suwanee just like there are differences between living in Buckhead or college Park. The P is an imaginary border that doesn't delineate squat as far as culture goes.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:49 AM

I think something interesting about this, before I got distracted by the above comments, is its draw on the creative class.

When 04W Pizza first came to Duluth, I visited and I was talking to the owner's wife, or girlfriend, who is also a co-owner. She was telling me how frustrating it was trying to find an appropriate location near the old one and they just gave up. Parking, she said, is mandatory for their business because she pointed out that nobody is going to pick up a pizza and carry it home with them on a bicycle.

But I think the really interesting thing is she said they liked Duluth so much they decided to move there too. I think that's key. I've read from the guys that own the Brick Store that they like Duluth because it reminds them of what Decatur looked like when they first opened there. I don't know where they live now, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they decided to move to Duluth. All this is good for the suburbs, to attract people like this.

Of course, it's nothing new. I know a lot of people think that all creative/artsy types live in Reynoldstown or Inman Park, but it's really not true. Charlie Brown from the Charlie Brown Cabaret at Backstreet always lived in the suburbs (Lawrenceville, I thnk?) and Dean who owned the Masquerade and led the Impotent Sea Snakes lived in Alpharetta.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:38 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Its just a fact that there are real differences on many levels between ITP/OTP life. Are we supposed to pretend they don't exist? I didn't read one thing in the article that was condescending or inciting antagonism.
I think you just proved my point. You were oblivious to the condescension.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Is the OTP crew a little overly sensitive today? If there is condescension in the article please enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What a ridiculous statement. There are difference between living in midtown or Suwanee just like there are differences between living in Buckhead or college Park. The P is an imaginary border that doesn't delineate squat as far as culture goes.
A ridiculous statement that you apparently agree with.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Since my point was apparently too difficult for you to understand, let me try to break it down and put into terms you can understand.

Which areas do you think differ more?

The areas of Buckhead and College Park, which are BOTH ITP......

OR, Chamblee and Tucker, which are on different sides of the Perimeter?

The point is I-285 is a ridiculous border to divide residents of the metro. Hence, the ITP/OTP conversation is inherently stupid. Which really makes the article stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta