Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you vote "yes" or "no" for the new City of LaVista Hills?
Yes 16 47.06%
No 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times

Advertisements

As a recent former resident of the last new Dekalb city (Brookhaven), residents in this area will be much, much better off if they incorporate. Better roads, better property tax rates, most everything quantifiable. That said, the council did get a little too into trying to shut down the Pink Pony, which I didn't agree with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
I really wish they had stuck with either the Lakeside or Briarcliff names.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 38,130 times
Thumbs up LaVista Hills, Yes, Yes & Yes

LaVista Hills is a necessity. The residents of LaVista Hills pay some of the highest taxes in the Atlanta metro area and get very few services to justify such high rates. The street are full of decades old pot holes. Dekalb police assigned to the area get called to help in the hot crime areas of Dekalb to the south. No parks, swimming pools or any recreational facilities. Water and Sewer services are high compared to other areas. There is very little hope that the "rotten to the core" Dekalb county administration will improve in the near or distant future. The residents of LaVista Hills have nothing to loose in leaving Dekalb County and a lot to gain from forming a new city. Staying in Dekalb county will guarantee the decline of the area, other areas that incorporate will see an improvement in infrastructure and services and will be able to attract new business and residents.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito_d View Post
LaVista Hills is a necessity. The residents of LaVista Hills pay some of the highest taxes in the Atlanta metro area and get very few services to justify such high rates. The street are full of decades old pot holes. Dekalb police assigned to the area get called to help in the hot crime areas of Dekalb to the south. No parks, swimming pools or any recreational facilities. Water and Sewer services are high compared to other areas. There is very little hope that the "rotten to the core" Dekalb county administration will improve in the near or distant future. The residents of LaVista Hills have nothing to loose in leaving Dekalb County and a lot to gain from forming a new city. Staying in Dekalb county will guarantee the decline of the area, other areas that incorporate will see an improvement in infrastructure and services and will be able to attract new business and residents.
I hate to tell you this, but you're still in DeKalb either way.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I hate to tell you this, but you're still in DeKalb either way.
But you can still cut away part of DeKalb's control and taxes. The county is not allowed to charge taxes for services the city provides.

I grew up in the area and I think more local control is needed.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But you can still cut away part of DeKalb's control and taxes. The county is not allowed to charge taxes for services the city provides.

I grew up in the area and I think more local control is needed.
I don't disagree, it's just the phrase "we're leaving DeKalb" sounds silly.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I don't disagree, it's just the phrase "we're leaving DeKalb" sounds silly.
That's because DeKalb is silly. Its a county pretending to be a city. To the extent that permits, parks, zoning and police will be local, they are leaving DeKalb.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's because DeKalb is silly. Its a county pretending to be a city. To the extent that permits, parks, zoning and police will be local, they are leaving DeKalb.
Agreed. I think the real source of the problem is GA allowing counties to act like large cities. This will become a problem for other counties too until it is fixed at the state level.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Have they discussed where city hall, etc. will be located?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
What was the final boarders of the proposed city? Did they fix the Tucker situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta